Elon Musk Bought 9.2% of Twiter

Almost 90 minutes after this big reveal was SUPPOSED to happen, "Where's Elon" and "Epsteined" are trending on Twitter because...

What a joke.

Real quick overview of the thread:

Twitter started letting companies/political parties send in request to remove info. Dems and Reps would both do it, but Dems had more connections therefore more swing (not surprising).

When the story broke, twitter staffers banned it in the same way they would for Child p***.

Twitter execs in the public policy/comms departments seemed to not know about the ban or play a part in it (at first).

Safety/Trust teams had broad moderation power and used it under the guise of "hacked materials".

Twitter exec Vijaya Gadde essentially made the call herself, with CEO Dorsey's knowledge.

Other execs bring up how difficult it would be to justify policy, but they decide to "stay the course" and see if the story goes away.

(There's an aside in here about how Dem rep Ro Khanna reached out directly to Gadde in regards to the first amendment. He references NYT vs Sullivan. Makes a comment about agreeing twitter has the right to monitor what is reccomended on trending, but he believes restricting news articles invites backlash.)

Twitter is alerted house judiciary is "out for blood" and may move to regulate tech more.

3 Dem reps on the judiciary want to regulate tech because "the 1st isn't absolute".

It takes Dorsey personally getting involved to unfuck the situation.

Taibbi signs off with more to come

There is much more to come, including answers to questions about issues like shadow-banning, boosting, follower counts, the fate of various individual accounts, and more. These issues are not limited to the political right.

Forgive me If I missed something. This is a very general overview of the main points.

I'm kind of dumb, so I looked at the Big 3/ Usual Suspects in online news, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.

Fox: Coverage of the release buried halfway down the page.
CNN: Nothing.
MSNBC: Nothing.

Maybe the latter have it in an article somewhere, but do we really think the average user is digging to find a story, any story, that isn't on the "front page?" That's what this story means to those outlets and I'll be willing to bet the same applies to other "news" sites.
-----

An aside: Going to CNN and especially MSNBC reminded me of much they hate Trump. He is living rent free in so many heads right now. Story after story on the guy, so much so that other topics are sprinkled around on their pages.

I've said numerous times before, if you want to know what is going in this country or the rest of the world then you need to become a junior intelligence analyst. You cannot sole source your news unless you want bias. If that's the case, you aren't looking for truth, you're a willing puppet.

Yeah I think using a specific journalist to cover this (Specifically one who self publishes on substack) no matter how wide his general reach is stunted the story. But I guess we'll see how much more he tweets today?

Also, the whole 6PMCT on Friday is newsdump time where people forget about it.

Fox did talk about it on air last night.
But CNN, MSNBC, NYT, WaPo, Politico, all of these outlets were active with their suppression of the original story. They wrote articles to say the NYP was wrong and committing journalism malpractice. So of course they're actively stunting this story by not covering it. Nothing new.

I'm kind of dumb, so I looked at the Big 3/ Usual Suspects in online news, Fox, CNN, and MSNBC.

Fox: Coverage of the release buried halfway down the page.
CNN: Nothing.
MSNBC: Nothing.

Maybe the latter have it in an article somewhere, but do we really think the average user is digging to find a story, any story, that isn't on the "front page?" That's what this story means to those outlets and I'll be willing to bet the same applies to other "news" sites.
-----

An aside: Going to CNN and especially MSNBC reminded me of much they hate Trump. He is living rent free in so many heads right now. Story after story on the guy, so much so that other topics are sprinkled around on their pages.

I've said numerous times before, if you want to know what is going in this country or the rest of the world then you need to become a junior intelligence analyst. You cannot sole source your news unless you want bias. If that's the case, you aren't looking for truth, you're a willing puppet.

I'm sure there were numerous MSM digital editorial board meetings at which the decision was made to headline everything TRUMP all the time... even more so on slow content days. Drawing attention to Joe Biden is always fret with danger because the man is clearly having embarrassing near-dementia episodes...and not that popular with his own Democratic base.

DeSantis scares the shit out of them. They're reluctant to give him any publicity, even negative press, because he's relatively young, coherent, politically savvy, and riding a wave of popularity. So TRUMP is the old ammunition (along with some Supreme Court abortion aftershocks) to thwart a GOP comeback in '24.

As you point out, it's almost impossible to get the straight, undiluted dope out of any news organization without investing time gathering material from numerous open sources and then assessing it.

And even then you're in a small minority because--as we all know so well--the world is full of "willing puppets."

What? People have talked about that for years now, right and left alike, long before Musk appeared on the scene.
Really? Cause I remember when talk of silicon valley's social/political engineering and misinfo/disinfo schemes were tin foil hat territory.

Back