Embarrassing question about sit ups

T

TSgt Hutch

I recently started doing a high number of sit ups, at least for me, and developed a sore around my tailbone area, basically rubbing the skin raw on the top of both butt cheeks along the top of my butt crack. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to try and stop this from happening or a way to keep it from getting worse?

Sit ups do more harm than good.:) There are tons of better abdominal exercises that are more beneficial.:2c:

BUT, I haven't done ANYTHING for my abs in years.:doh:

use a pad, foam ones work great. Or just go to a sports store and get a cheap mat. What are you doing it on, a weakly padded rug, or concrete?

I recently started doing a high number of sit ups, at least for me, and developed a sore around my tailbone area, basically rubbing the skin raw on the top of both butt cheeks along the top of my butt crack. Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to try and stop this from happening or a way to keep it from getting worse?

What kind of clothes are you wearing and what kind of surface are you on? Sounds like you are moving your butt while this part of your anatomy is touching the ground. Try slowing your situps down to figure what you're doing. Better yet, look for another exercise for your abdomen.

Sit ups do more harm than good.:) There are tons of better abdominal exercises that are more beneficial.:2c:

Amen! Way too many others to count. My personal favorites use an exercise ball or simultaneous elevation of the torso and legs.

LL

You are getting good advice above. Regular situps went the way of the dodo bird 30 years ago. There are a lot of better ways to do abdominal exercises than that.

A great resource for training your body's core, of which the abdominals are a part, is the book Stronger Abs and Back by Greg and Dean Brittenham. It is loaded with exercises and programs designed to work at any level of fitness. I highly recommend this book from the perspective of personal experience as well as a coach...

You can buy the book direct from the publishers below:
http://www.humankinetics.com/products/showproduct.cfm?isbn=9780880115582

Are you trying to improve your situps because you need to do them for a PT test, or do you just want to improve your ab strength?

I would get the same thing as all my floors aren't quite friendly when you want to work out :mad:. Which makes push ups a no go as there is no grip and tile hurts , but I found I was able to do sit ups on my bo-flex bench . So if you have any thing like that I'd say try it :2c:

I dont see him having a problem doing situps. He said it was his tailbone, so I would think it was the surface he was doing them on.

Where do you typically do them? On a carpet, or what?

Marauder

Are you trying to improve your situps because you need to do them for a PT test, or do you just want to improve your ab strength?

I am going to put in for a crosstrain when I get back stateside and need to do situps for the PAST test (PT test). I haven't been doing many conventional situps, just a lot of weighted situps on a decline bench and some crunches.

Boondocksaints

I dont see him having a problem doing situps. He said it was his tailbone, so I would think it was the surface he was doing them on.

Where do you typically do them? On a carpet, or what?

Unfortunately I was doing them on a padded surface, I am going to try some of the ideas people have suggested, keep doing what I have been doing and only do conventional situps when it is mandatory. I'm not having problems doing the situps, I did 73 in 2 minutes and completed 100 with little problem exept the raw spots on my ass of course.

You don't know what raw is until you see the tailbone of a guy going through BUDs! All those flutter kicks and hello dolly's on the grinder while wearing wet, sandy cotton greens day in and day out is enough to make your eyes water! :eek: :eek:
I'll never forget spraying 'New skin' on the area in an attempt to put a layer of protection over it.....he about went through the roof in pain!!!!

You don't know what raw is until you see the tailbone of a guy going through BUDs! All those flutter kicks and hello dolly's on the grinder while wearing wet, sandy cotton greens day in and day out is enough to make your eyes water! :eek: :eek:
I'll never forget spraying 'New skin' on the area in an attempt to put a layer of protection over it.....he about went through the roof in pain!!!!

I Keep "new skin" in my Kit, and in my Ruck at all Times. never Heard of the spray, only the little bottle with a nail polish type applicator.Who sells the spray?

Are you sliding a lot when you do situps? Often the friction of clothing as you extend out and slide will rub skin off. Focus on keeping yourself in one spot, and not sliding back as you do the set.

Of course, lots of things chap my ass...

I would get the same thing as all my floors aren't quite friendly when you want to work out . Which makes push ups a no go as there is no grip and tile hurts ,

What? :confused:

WTF does floor surface have to do with push ups? :confused:

Tile hurts? :rolleyes: :doh:

You have to explain this...

seriously, you'll find yourself doing pushups on hot pavement and rocks in basic, along with plenty of weird places.

Back