Fairbairn-Sykes sentry take-out technique

Very cool!

My introduction to this famous knife came many years ago when I was reading WEB Griffin’s The Corps series of books, the main protagonist – a young Marine named Kenneth McCoy carries one, and uses it early in the series when he kills an Italian Marine in a street fight in self-defense.

His statement about entry into the neck from the jugular and slicing outward has a lot of anatomy and physiology behind it.

If you open the jugular and slice foteward it does two things. First is that it drains the brain of blood, and second it opens up the juglar and allows air to be sucked straight into the heart at the rate of about 100ml/sec. When you inhale it creates a huge negative pressure in the chest. This negative pressure normally pulls blood into the heart. With the jugular wide open, the gasp for air will fill the heart with air, and not blood.This will fill the right atrium with air, not blood. With that loss of blood to the heart the cardiac outpot drops to zero. The attacker need not wait for the enemy to bleed out as heart failure is the immediate cause of death.

Slicing to the front will take the blade through the larynx/windpipe and prevent air from passing through the vocal cords. This prevents any sound to be uttered by the victim.

I’d love to sit down with this chap for a couple of days and just chat with him..

Really...you don't say. Not that I am going to actually, you know, do anything with this information....just find it all so very...interesting. For historical purposes.

I was a bit surprised to hear him describe how the knife was used. After thinking about it for a little, there was some sense in what he was saying. Seemed like a teaching moment, so I took it for what it is worth. Most people don't think about the air siphon that develops with an open Internal Jugular Vien. That was pretty much my point.

Oh, sure. Me, I read your post and I was thinking, Red Flag is teaching the theory portion of assassination 101. I was thinking "hmmmm....." as I was rubbing my chin thinking of the people in my past on whom this could have been useful information. If I had been into that. Me, I'm into live-and-let-live. But I DO have a couple feral cats roaming around....

Very cool!

My introduction to this famous knife came many years ago when I was reading WEB Griffin’s The Corps series of books, the main protagonist – a young Marine named Kenneth McCoy carries one, and uses it early in the series when he kills an Italian Marine in a street fight in self-defense.
Good ol Killer McCoy

Back