Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

I fell in love with the sled push and the stair stepper today. I was still a bit tired from my 5 mile the day before, but I started out with doing the sled push with 90 lbs and wearing my plate carrier. It's an absolute smoker.

Afterwards, I did 62 flights of stairs with my plate carrier in 18 minutes.

I'm going to start doing more of those two things. The stair stepper will help me with cardio and hopefully have a lot of carry over to rucking and the sled push is good for strength/HIIT/sprint substitutes.

I fell in love with the sled push and the stair stepper today. I was still a bit tired from my 5 mile the day before, but I started out with doing the sled push with 90 lbs and wearing my plate carrier. It's an absolute smoker.

I'm going to start doing more of those two things. The stair stepper will help me with cardio and hopefully have a lot of carry over to rucking and the sled push is good for strength/HIIT/sprint substitutes.
Drive on, Brother....success awaits!

Have you used a Jacob’s Ladder?

Since COVID kicked off, I've found myself with more time than I knew what to do with. So naturally, I drank a lot, played video games, and worked out sparingly. But I got pretty tired of wasting time doing nothing productive, so I went sober and gave up video games. And instead I started working out. A lot more.
Started with powerlifting, then added in some crossfit style workouts, and then added in a bit of running. And then because I suddenly found myself with a ton of time not playing video games I started to shoot more. And thus my start in The Tactical Games. I competed in a 1 day event and realized just how much I suck at shooting both under duress and normally. I ended up taking 32nd out of 38ish competitors and that lit a fire to learn.
So I reached out to some local connections and met up with a friend of a friend who is the lead sniper instructor for the local SWAT team. We spent probably 12 days together over the course of 6-8 months working on everything from stance, grip and sight alignment to attaining DOPEs for my rifle and learning about mechanical offset and holdovers.
Competed in my second competition which was a 2 day event. Ended up taking 14th out of 53 competitors and had an absolute blast doing it. Learned a few more specific weaknesses that I have compared to the leaders in my division so I have my sights set on fixing those and competing again soon. I've been thoroughly enjoying this journey and am definitely looking forward to the competition field!

I've also picked up climbing thanks to a couple friends. Didn't realize that there happens to be world class climbing in my local area until suddenly I did. Picked up multipitch and trad climbing, and honestly just love the excuse to get outside and have adventures. Its also a good time learning some mission planning and land nav since my friends are horrible guides and plan sparingly. Just working out enough recently to support an active lifestyle doing shit thats fun, and it's all I can ask for.

I do a Strongfirst routine. Strongfirst is all kettlebells and barbells. I have a pretty good set up.

I love it. I recommend anyone who wants to get into exercise to look into kettlebells and Pavel Taatsouline’s info.
Big KB fan here, I was a SF Level 1 instructor for a bit but getting recertified every row years wasn’t doable with my deployment schedule. I do the Simple and Sinister workout a few times a week when I’m short on time and am thinking about trying to hit the Simple goal this year, dont know if I would ever make Sinister but maybe…

Big KB fan here, I was a SF Level 1 instructor for a bit but getting recertified every row years wasn’t doable with my deployment schedule. I do the Simple and Sinister workout a few times a week when I’m short on time and am thinking about trying to hit the Simple goal this year, dont know if I would ever make Sinister but maybe…

It is so hard.

Since COVID kicked off, I've found myself with more time than I knew what to do with. So naturally, I drank a lot, played video games, and worked out sparingly. But I got pretty tired of wasting time doing nothing productive, so I went sober and gave up video games. And instead I started working out. A lot more.
Started with powerlifting, then added in some crossfit style workouts, and then added in a bit of running. And then because I suddenly found myself with a ton of time not playing video games I started to shoot more. And thus my start in The Tactical Games. I competed in a 1 day event and realized just how much I suck at shooting both under duress and normally. I ended up taking 32nd out of 38ish competitors and that lit a fire to learn.
So I reached out to some local connections and met up with a friend of a friend who is the lead sniper instructor for the local SWAT team. We spent probably 12 days together over the course of 6-8 months working on everything from stance, grip and sight alignment to attaining DOPEs for my rifle and learning about mechanical offset and holdovers.
Competed in my second competition which was a 2 day event. Ended up taking 14th out of 53 competitors and had an absolute blast doing it. Learned a few more specific weaknesses that I have compared to the leaders in my division so I have my sights set on fixing those and competing again soon. I've been thoroughly enjoying this journey and am definitely looking forward to the competition field!

I've also picked up climbing thanks to a couple friends. Didn't realize that there happens to be world class climbing in my local area until suddenly I did. Picked up multipitch and trad climbing, and honestly just love the excuse to get outside and have adventures. Its also a good time learning some mission planning and land nav since my friends are horrible guides and plan sparingly. Just working out enough recently to support an active lifestyle doing shit thats fun, and it's all I can ask for.

One of my goals is the Tactical Games. Still need to build CV endurance, so started running again (about 2 miles). The strength is there. Need to work on pistol, but rifle is there. There is an event in South Carolina in November, called Operation Shooter: "run 6+ miles, shoot 10 rounds; don't be late, don't be light, and don't miss." I really want to do it.

I need to pick up my jogging/running, but doing a lot of HIIT-type stuff. I have bands/cables, some dumbbells, cinder blocks, weighted vest/PC, pull up bar, rope for battle rope drills (they gas me...deceptively tiring), 200# tractor tire to flip, heavy shit for farmer carries, and a heavy bag for boxing.

One of my goals is the Tactical Games. Still need to build CV endurance, so started running again (about 2 miles). The strength is there. Need to work on pistol, but rifle is there. There is an event in South Carolina in November, called Operation Shooter: "run 6+ miles, shoot 10 rounds; don't be late, don't be light, and don't miss." I really want to do it.

I need to pick up my jogging/running, but doing a lot of HIIT-type stuff. I have bands/cables, some dumbbells, cinder blocks, weighted vest/PC, pull up bar, rope for battle rope drills (they gas me...deceptively tiring), 200# tractor tire to flip, heavy shit for farmer carries, and a heavy bag for boxing.
That NC event sounds like run. I know they do a lot of "run and gun" type events in Texas as well that I've been checking out.

In the 2 events I've done there were 2 stages total that involved running. However the biggest time killer was accuracy. Each shot is a 10 sec penalty, and in a few stages there were 50+ shots taken. While cardio was important I mostly focused on HIIT as well. Either way sounds like you're on the right path brother! Have fun with it.

That NC event sounds like run. I know they do a lot of "run and gun" type events in Texas as well that I've been checking out.

In the 2 events I've done there were 2 stages total that involved running. However the biggest time killer was accuracy. Each shot is a 10 sec penalty, and in a few stages there were 50+ shots taken. While cardio was important I mostly focused on HIIT as well. Either way sounds like you're on the right path brother! Have fun with it.

There are a handful of run-and-guns relatively local, but the timing never worked out. I would not mind doing that. I am finding if I am not training for a goal, I can be wishy-washy about follow through (today is HIIT day? Nah, fuck it, I am going to do XXXX instead).

I am shooting IDPA and I am finding the balance between speed and accuracy. Too little of one really screws with your final scores.

In the fall the Carolina Hurricanes hold a 5K for charity, and you get breakfast, a Canes ticket, some other swag. I had two sons do it last year, this year we're all doing it as a family.

I never heard of this until you brought it up, I'll have to see if there's anything like that in my area. Sounds like a good time! Good luck on your training!

Anyone have experience with ultra marathons, or anywhere they’d recommend as a reputable source for training/nutrition plans? My wife and I have decided to run a 50k next year in Zion for our 9 year anniversary. Figured I should get an early start on training.

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with ultra marathons, or anywhere they’d recommend as a reputable source for training/nutrition plans? My wife and I have decided to run a 50k next year in Zion for our 10 year anniversary. Figured I should get an early start on training.
Taylor Starch. You can find him on IG or through us at Ones Read- he's an absolute mad scientist and loves to help people out.

Back