Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

Well I got off my ass today and went out to the base gym and pool. Looked in the gym and decided it would probably be better if I just stuck with the water. So I went through the therapy exercises to loosen up, fuckin' water was cold. Anyway, after a little free swimming. I completed about 80% of the length doing the backstroke and sidestroke for the remainder. Felt like my heart was going to bust but I made it! Back again on saturday:thumbsup:
Thanks for the input:-)

Made this for my buddy Hodges. I wish FOs were attached to infantry still and not artillery.

‘Hodges’

10 pushups

10 unsupported sit-ups

10 pushups

10 4-count flutter kicks

25m farmers carry AHAP

10 Sets FOR TIME

RIP

As my world turned upside down recently, I started listening to David Goggins' audiobook, Can't Hurt Me. I've made a lot of small but consistent changes, especially in my workouts. I can finally see my abs again and my runs have improved from 11min/mi (after 6 mo of deconditioning) and then having stop after that mile to 6 miles in an hour without pain. It's a fantastic listen and I highly recommend

I started listening to David Goggins' audiobook,
Much respect for that dude....TACP, SEAL, Ranger School....he's crushed life; now tries to lift other up. He's one of the few SEAL's I hope are making some cash off the past that he lived.

I just read this today:
On January 19, 2013, in Brentwood, Tennessee, Goggins broke the world record for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours. He completed 4,030 pull-ups in 17 hours, and set a new world record. It was his third attempt at breaking the record.

Much respect for that dude....TACP, SEAL, Ranger School....he's crushed life; now tries to lift other up. He's one of the few SEAL's I hope are making some cash off the past that he lived.

I just read this today:
On January 19, 2013, in Brentwood, Tennessee, Goggins broke the world record for the most pull-ups done in 24 hours. He completed 4,030 pull-ups in 17 hours, and set a new world record. It was his third attempt at breaking the record.
Yes, I almost want to listen to the whole thing again. He tells the story of how he broke that record very well in the audiobook... fucking badass

Not too long ago I peaked at 238lbs (not good weight) too much booze and eating out, $1000 a month in heavy, rich food. 7 years before that I was at 195lb with abs at a towering 68” in height. So I was waaaay off course. Now, I’m back down to 208, but working steadily to get below 200 again. 40/30/30 diet w/ a cheat day where I eat anything I want to. I use the MyFitnessPal app. it really helps to keep food management on point. 30 min HIIT 1-2x per week, or a 30 min walk, sometimes a 30lb ruck for 3-6 miles. 20 minutes of strength training 5x per week (varies from Olympic, to circuit or calisthenics), swimming on recovery days and about every 8 weeks I’ll take a 5 day week off and only walk, stretch. My joints seem to be staying fit and I’ll be 49 soon, so I’m pretty happy.DF546BC8-02CE-4E5E-A7AC-21F086DCA756.jpeg

Last edited:
So this morning I go to the dental clinic at the VA. To have a permanent crown glued on at 0830.
I have decided that I need to prep myself for the next round of surgeries on my spine. So I went to the base I live by. With the intent of doing the pool thing again. Pool therapy has been very good for me in the past.
I get to the pool at a little after 1000. Where the kid attending says it's lesson time. I'm like "there are 2 kids in the whole olympic sized pool dude. I just need a spot that isn't near anyone for about 20 minutes". It ain't happening today is how that worked. Open swim starts at 1300 and, I am not waiting that long.

I decide to hit the gym. Here is what I ended up doing.
Not a lot by any means. But, I figured it's a start for my old ass. Been wanting to lift for awhile. Have been medically prohibited until recently. Light weight ONLY.

- Stationary recumbent bike, 10 minutes @ level one cardio setting.
- Hammer Strength shoulder press
-warm-up 10 reps x 3 sets with #30
-10 reps x 2 sets with #40
- Hammer Strength pec flys/ rear delt machine
-warm-up 10 reps x 3 sets with #40
-10 reps x 2 sets with #55
- Cable push downs with rope
-warm-up 10 reps x 3 sets with #35
- 5 reps x 1 set with #42.5
-Alternating dumbbell curls/ tricep presses
- 10 reps x 4 sets with #15 dumbbells
- Curl bar forearm curls
- straight curl bar 3 sets to failure
- Stationary recumbent bike 10 minutes @ level 1

This was one long hyperset. With no more than a 10 second break between sets of each exercise. As well as no more than 30 second between exercise changes. I did take about a minute to grab the dumbbells.
During the biking portion. I kept my heart rate around 105 BPM. Did not monitor it any other time.
I felt GREAT! When I was finished and, had taken a shower. Along with downing a post workout meal shake.

My goal is to hit the body parts that are cooperating on that day. For at least 3 days a week. Along with at least 2 days of pool therapy.

Does anyone have any input on what I have presented. As a 57 year old male with a ton of health issues. to include 2 prior brain surgeries, an ACDF of c5-c7, gunshot wound to right shin. As well as assorted other crud and bloomer crickets. Collected from a life of fast living.
All suggestions will be considered. As I am trying to be a pain in my wife's ass for just a few more years.

Currently anchored in at 200#, this weight will not budge. I started a “cut” of just 18lbs (I got really into lifting and neglected cardio, put on some fat due to improper dirty dieting.

My routine usually goes like this:
0600- Wake up, drink some water and down some black coffee
0700- 3 Mile Run (Average time: 23mins)
0800 Breakfast, Oats and a banana, sometimes I’ll throw a tad bit of PB in.
0900-1700 Work, This week for lunch is turkey burgers on whole grain bread and pb crackers & a banana as a snack.
I try to go to the gym after work around 1800 but mostly it’s 1900-2000, get atleast an hour in and hurry home.
Dinner is chicken, rice and broccoli
2200-0600 Sleep.

Fitness Goals:
Lose 10lbs over the course of the next few months.
Increase mileage per week and improve time.
Get in the pool and not drown.

Currently anchored in at 200#, this weight will not budge. I started a “cut” of just 18lbs (I got really into lifting and neglected cardio, put on some fat due to improper dirty dieting.

My routine usually goes like this:
0600- Wake up, drink some water and down some black coffee
0700- 3 Mile Run (Average time: 23mins)
0800 Breakfast, Oats and a banana, sometimes I’ll throw a tad bit of PB in.
0900-1700 Work, This week for lunch is turkey burgers on whole grain bread and pb crackers & a banana as a snack.
I try to go to the gym after work around 1800 but mostly it’s 1900-2000, get atleast an hour in and hurry home.
Dinner is chicken, rice and broccoli
2200-0600 Sleep.

Fitness Goals:
Lose 10lbs over the course of the next few months.
Increase mileage per week and improve time.
Get in the pool and not drown.
Change it up. Weights in the morning and cardio at night. Your body is getting used to a routine. Quit trying, get honest, how many days do you actually hit the gym after work?

Reduce the portion you're eating. In fact, reduce portions overall. That's the way to lose weight. Two bananas a day is a lot of banana, btw... :sneaky:

LL

Last edited:
f
Change it up. Weights in the morning and cardio at night. Your body is getting used to a routine. Quit trying, get honest, how many days do you actually hit the gym after work?

Reduce the portion you're eating. In fact, reduce portions overall. That's the way to lose weight. Two bananas a day is a lot of banana, btw... :sneaky:

LL
I go to the gym during the weekdays and take On

LL
i will definitely try changing it up, and I try to go every day after work, I’ve gone every day after work for 3 weeks now, so there’s that. And I’ll pack an apple to work on Monday, didn’t know 2 bananas was a lot of bananas. That’s bananas. Thanks for the advice

f

I go to the gym during the weekdays and take On

i will definitely try changing it up, and I try to go every day after work, I’ve gone every day after work for 3 weeks now, so there’s that. And I’ll pack an apple to work on Monday, didn’t know 2 bananas was a lot of bananas. That’s bananas. Thanks for the advice
Every day is tough on your recovery. Unless you are alternating with some light calisthenics, stretching.
Also try changing the routine and, intensity. This will keep your muscles "confused". So they can get the maximum benefit from your workout.
In my experience I have found. That changing things up every 2 weeks. Really helped me achieve the gains I was seeking.

...And I’ll pack an apple to work on Monday, didn’t know 2 bananas was a lot of bananas. That’s bananas. Thanks for the advice
You only mentioned one fruit and eating it twice a day. That makes it a lot of bananas.

Variety is a very good thing. Whether in your diet or your exercise regime.

LL

Back