Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

At 30 you start losing 1% of testosterone per year; metabolism slows in your 30s, REALLY slows in the 40s, you can lose 3-5% of muscle mass per year after 30...(FWIWm I will be 50 in November)

All that is to say, 'maintaining' is difficult, and goals (caveat: for most men) change.

Now I run about 3 miles twice a week, maybe three times, belong to a group (F3 | The mission of F3 is to plant, grow and serve small workout groups for the invigoration of male community leadership.) that does boot camp-type workouts twice a week, do a moderate-weight ruck at moderate pace for moderate mileage about twice a month. I am trying to stay active and maintain my weight. I carry about 10-12 pounds I just cannot seem to get rid of, though.

I eat well enough, try to stay at a low-to-moderate carb level, I do not deprive myself of any food.

Sleep is essential, and I average 7, 7 1/2 hours a night.

In my case once I hit 40 my body's warranty expired: I got cancer, had ortho surgeries, my herniated disc and low-back schmutz got worse (foraminal stenosis, compression fracture), and my renal labs show borderline renal failure.

Wtf.

How do your goals change now?

Wtf.

How do your goals change now?

Grossly they don't: have better-than-average cardiovascular and muscular endurance than men my age, remain bipedal, and live long to see my kids grow up and do what they do. I DO have to modify: sometimes my back is so jacked up when I get up I look bent over like Yoda, so on those days I do active stretching and walking. When I feel good, I have pretty intense workouts. So I don't have typical daily workouts.

I have never been an elite athlete, but gone are my days of sprint triathlons, Spartan races, etc. Now it's all about having a healthy lifestyle. I suspect I have worsened my back problems by not acting my age and trying to capture the days of my youth.

My back problems were likely born when I was playing sports in college and in the military, just got worse over the years. My renal problems, that too is largely influenced by my youth: I used to eat NSAIDs like candy. NSAIDs will ruin a kidney.

Grossly they don't: have better-than-average cardiovascular and muscular endurance than men my age, remain bipedal, and live long to see my kids grow up and do what they do. I DO have to modify: sometimes my back is so jacked up when I get up I look bent over like Yoda, so on those days I do active stretching and walking. When I feel good, I have pretty intense workouts. So I don't have typical daily workouts.

I have never been an elite athlete, but gone are my days of sprint triathlons, Spartan races, etc. Now it's all about having a healthy lifestyle. I suspect I have worsened my back problems by not acting my age and trying to capture the days of my youth.

My back problems were likely born when I was playing sports in college and in the military, just got worse over the years. My renal problems, that too is largely influenced by my youth: I used to eat NSAIDs like candy. NSAIDs will ruin a kidney.

Thank you for sharing.

I am scared as f now haha.

You just adjust? Is there anything you just won't do?

Thank you for sharing.

I am scared as f now haha.

You just adjust? Is there anything you just won't do?

Lol... don't be scared. My journey ain't your journey. But in truth, I'm not really looking forward to 50.

Is there anything I just won't to? Yeah. I do not do, or I modify, exercises that put too much stress on the low back. That's about it. I try not to let any of those things really get in my way, I just know that they are there.

Was finally cleared to start running last week. But man does it feel like shit. 4 months off will do that for you. the last month and change I've been walking about 12 miles/week for my exercise bit. Also a few spin sessions intermixed. Started swimming again.

After my first two runs last week 1.25 Miles in Hoka Mach's and 2 Miles in Saucony Kinvara 9s I did the math and needed something plush to stay injury free as I rebuild my base so I ordered the Hoka Bondi 6s.

I figured I can get my fitness solid enough to run a 5k race in October. So under 25 minutes will be my goal there.

I think a lot of runners don’t do enough walking to be frank. Especially the ones trying to go from moderate mileage to high mileage weeks. Good luck on your rebuild. The heat is going to make it feel like hell. Thankfully its almost the fall.

For awhile it was the only thing I could do, so in July I think I walked about 25 miles purely for exercise. This month I'll hit 43...would have been 50ish if I hadn't been cleared to run.

So I've been back to running for about 7 weeks now (entering 8th week). Slowly rebuilding the engine. I think I've always been comfortable gunning it the first two miles because of the APFT obviously and then runs have always fallen apart on the back end. Well for my first race this weekend was a 5k, 24:54.8. Previously done the same race three years ago as the first race my GF and I ever did together...surprisingly it was a minute and a half faster. Run a 10k on Thanksgiving morning and I think if continue on the current training plan I can set a race PR...totally different course but still a 10k.

Shoulder felt like complete ass since Wednesday though, was a swim and strength day. I've torn apart my swim form and beginning from the ground up. 900m, a threshold run on Thursday and a Race Saturday will probably do that.

PURPOSE: The purpose of this post is to share the progress I have made over the last couple of months and have my numbers and regimen critiqued. I understand you can never be "ready" for that special flavor of misery and suck only BRC can provide, but I expect to show up in as good of shape as I can.

Starting in September I began to get my nasty civilian self lined out, setting my sights on an enlistment into the Marine Corps Reserve and a lat-move from 0313 to 0321.

As of December I have most of my paperwork in with a prior service recruiter in San Antonio. I plan on going the 4th Recon route. Here are my stats and the progress I have made so far.

***NOTE*** All PT/PFT testing has been executed at 4,510 feet. I moved from 2700 to 4500 feet in August. It had more of an effect on my aerobic performance than I expected. I am finally getting used to it.

September numbers:

PFT (192 points, UNSAT)
- 16 pull-ups
- 66 pushups
- 70 situps
- 23:45 3-mile run (altitude)

Pool work
- 14:25 500m CSS (slick)
- 20:05 1000m fin (slick)
- 25m underwater crossover failed. (Passed in late October)
- 30 minute tread passed

December Numbers:

PFT (249 points)
- 23 pull-ups
- 80 pushups
- 88 situps
- 22:03 3-mile run (altitude)

Pool work
- 11:07 500m CSS (slick)
- 18:33 1000m fin (slick)
- 25m underwater crossover passed.
- 30 minute tread passed.

I have also executed 30 minute tread drills with a 10# dive brick. I am confident in the water, but I know my CSS, crawl stroke and finning techniques need improvement.

I have also completed a few 5 mile rucks with a 50# ruck, which I completed between 1:03:00 and 00:55:00. I am planning to implement more rucks as my PFT improves, since my priority right now is a 300 PFT. My swim times keep improving little by little, but I am trying to get in touch with some recondos down at San Antonio, in hopes of getting critiqued. I will be meeting with the recruiter in a few weeks so I expect I can get some contacts through him.

I have implemented a lot of Mountain Tactical Institute's BRC Course Prep and it has been instrumental in helping me improve over the last few months. Although the training seems simple and straight forward, I do have a couple questions that I am sure someone can answer on here.

1) I have been executing 2 versions of the CSS. The first version is the one Stew Smith teaches, where your head is submerged for part of the stroke. The second version is the one the MARSOC Swim Prep video shows where your head is not submerged at all and the entire movement is a free breathing movement. I took the Recon indoc way (WAY) back in December of 2005, but I don't remember which method we were instructed to utilize. My question is: Which version should I be utilizing in my training, and what is used at BRC? My swim times have been slightly faster with the submerged method.

2) Other than seeing the BRC Recon indoc fliers with a sub 15 minute 500m CSS swim time and the PFT goals, I do not know where I stand with my slick swim times. I am not allowed to swim in cammies at the local college's pool. So for swimming slick I am wondering if my goals are too low. My goals are:

500m CSS slick in under 9 minutes.
1000m fin slick in under 17 minutes.

Minus running a PFT every week, this is what I have been doing since late September (I am starting to run a PFT the first training day of every week):

A: PFT
  • Max set pull-ups
  • Max set pushups
  • Max set sit-ups
  • 3 mile run

B: POOL WORK
  • 25m underwater crossover
  • 500m CSS
  • 30 minute tread drill

C PFT WORK
  • (2) 1.5 miles < 10 minutes
BRC Card
  • (1-6-1) Pull-up ladder
  • (30) Push ups
  • (30) Air squats
  • (30) Crunches
  • (10) Burpees
  • (10) Windmills
(stretch/relax)
  • (30) Push ups
  • (30) Mountain climbers
  • (30) Flutter kicks
  • (10) Burpees
  • (30) Crunches
(stretch/relax)
  • (30) Push ups
  • (30) Star jumpers
  • (30) Back extensions
  • (10) Burpees
  • (30) Crunches
(stretch/relax)
  • (30) Push ups
  • (30) Lunges
  • (30) Hello dollies
  • (10) Burpees
  • (10) Trunk twists
  • (1-6-1) Pull-up ladder

D POOL WORK
  • 1000m fin
  • Drown proofing

E STRENGTH WORK
  • (5x5) squat clean and press
15 minute AMRAP
  • (5) pull-ups
  • (5) SB thrusters
  • (5) SB half-moons
  • (5) SB getups
  • (20) sit-ups
15 minute AMRAP
  • Kettlebell complex
  • 400m sprint

F POOL WORK
  • 20 minute AMRAP
    • 50m freestyle swim
    • Plank complex
  • 25m underwater crossover
  • 30 minute tread drill

I am 31 and know that a proper warmup and recovery program is vital for my performance and sustained health. If anyone has any questions or comments to how I can improve my preparation, I would be glad to hear them. I apologize for the long post, but I was able to get all of my data and questions out at once.

Though I despise 99.99% of things with the word “tactical” in them, I just started getting into tactical barbell, if for no other reason than to re-lay a long endurance foundation again. I’ve been off on a smoke session, break off HIIT style kick for months now and it’s been great for fat loss and calisthenics numbers, but I’ve sacrificed some maximal strength and long endurance capability. So far, it’s pretty good. My three main lifts are front squat, weighted pull-ups, and my third is pushups since I know I won’t be doing bench press at selection. It’s a small tweak to the three major lifts but it makes sense to me. Add in some long endurance style runs/fun runs 3x a week, with an interval sprint session in there somewhere, and I’m looking forward to seeing where this takes me.

If anyone wants the templates, feel free to reach out and I’ll email them to you. It’s very basic: sub-maximal strength twice a week at your 75-95% range to “practice strength,” along with a number of long endurance type events to lay an aerobic foundation, with a short interval/HIIT session thrown in once every week or two. If you want to take a look, holler at me. The books are super confusing at first but they make more sense as you go. His theory is that periodization is the name of the game. Should be fun.

F19F9DD2-C68F-4745-9A26-947BE216FCC3.jpegI’m old-ish at 48 and work with injuries...

Strength training 3 x per week with weights, different movements for each body part for each workout to prevent adaptation and boredom. I don’t focus on pyramiding weight, or keeping a log, instead I just make sure I hit failure, or close to it for 3 sets. If I feel strong I’ll push more weight and mix in push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups from time to time, just to gauge where I’m at regarding APFT scoring. Abs and calves are sprinkled in and I don’t stretch as often as I should, but always warm up on the elliptical.

Light cardio (walking) either 4 - 5 x per week, or 20 minutes of HIIT 2 - 3 x per week. Sometimes I’ll hit the heavy bag for 3 3 minute rounds and then do aerobic walking for 30 minutes.

Weekend swims 2 x per month while doing a HIIT style CS workout w/ Rocket fins, then I’ll just swim/snorkel for an hour or so with the wifey. Springs in FL are great for that. Sometimes I’ll ruck 5 - 8 miles with a light load. Although, a veterans group I recently joined has me doing a 15 to 22 mile ruck every other month. I’m certainly a senior citizen in this group, next in line is a 42 y/o Marine Raider that keeps it tight, more-so than I.

For nutrition, I make sure that I get .8 grams of protein per lb of body weight, eat performance carbs like brown rice, oats, lentils and lots of fiber, more than 40 grams a day. Some fruit before and after strength training. Fats are usually MCTs, friendly fats such as avocado, cashews and olive oil. I won’t pass up BBQ, pizza or ice cream, but if I start gaining fat I’ll jump on MyFitness Pal and eat a 40/30/30 diet at 500 calories below my BMR till I get to where I want to be. Oh, and I drink a swimming pool of water daily.

I’m currently a towering 68” tall and 213. Thats heavy for me as I usually hover between 206 and 209, but I’m not passing up stuffing and pie on T-Day anytime soon.

So, I exercise pretty regular at a fair intensity, eat quality food and drink lots of water. Amino acids, multivitamins and protein shakes are part of the deal as well.

One day I’ll get motivated and get below 200. I’m shredded at 185, but I’m very married, have nobody to impress and Uncle Sam doesn’t love me anymore at 48...TBC

That’s me on your left. Don’t ding me for dog tags being out. The vet ruck group issued them and asked that they were displayed. They are worn in remembrance of vets who have committed suicide.

Last edited:
So, tonight was my first time under a bar in 7+ months. It's been 7 months since getting hit while cycling. I've been doing some bench work along with leg pressing and power step ups. But I've been cleared to squad and deadlift provided that I start from the bottom.

Flexibility of my shoulder while squatting was ugh, but done. Deadlifts no issues...but fuck me, an unloaded bar will tear you up...running ain't done shit for me lol.

So, tonight was my first time under a bar in 7+ months. It's been 7 months since getting hit while cycling. I've been doing some bench work along with leg pressing and power step ups. But I've been cleared to squad and deadlift provided that I start from the bottom.

Flexibility of my shoulder while squatting was ugh, but done. Deadlifts no issues...but fuck me, an unloaded bar will tear you up...running ain't done shit for me lol.
Does your gym have a safety squat bar?

A few years back my right shoulder was so loose it would pop out from almost any rearward movement. The safety squat bar was a god send for me until I healed up.

Maybe using the Smith Machine for a while would be helpful? And warming up the shoulders with bands.

Last edited:

Getting hit by a car can mess up every thing. I got into a fight with a chiropractor, I've been recovering from that stupid experience too. Get feeling better. I'm doing better but I deserve my pain.

For what it's worth I use dumbbells for squats (mine are usually super-set with a Leg Press+ Calf raise) gives you more freedom to make things "comfortably" heavy. Goblet squats hit your core as well.

I hate leg day. Not gonna lie.

A few years back my right shoulder was so loose it would pop out from almost any rearward movement. The safety squat bar was a god send for me until I healed up.

Strength Cages and safety bars are awesome.

I don't think you are referring to a Smith Machine. If it is-- those can be good if your starting out, but it's a crutch and not meant to be a go to every time. The fact you are not fully engaging stability muscles because it is linear and "might as well be lifting on the moon." Your not getting the full benefit from the exercises. Again I would suggest you look into DB squats if you are able.

I've also fallen prey to Smith Bench Presses early on. Some people I've met haven't had issues yet, my shoulders feel wonky after 5sets 12reps at 70-80% MR and it takes about 2-months to recover. Again it has to be a linear motion that is unnatural for my joints. YMMV as I seen.

My gym doesn't not have a Yoke Bar. No idea why Rogue...oh wait I know...Rogue likes to change names of every piece of equipment they didn't design...although I should probably just buy one and leave it there. The gym I used to lift at another lifter just left it there until he moved away :(. Yoke bars tend to simulate the same effects of a Front squat...oh and they're fucking heavier. My old strength coach has one from Elite-FTS and it's 85lbs (but now even elite fts calls is a SS Bar), I think the Rogue one is 70, when using the Yoke at that gym you're not allowed to count the extra 40lbs. O_o

Maybe using the Smith Machine for a while would be helpful? And warming up the shoulders with bands.

Yeah...I'm not gonna do the Smith Machine, just gonna take this real slow. My shoulder was kind of warmed up after doing cable work, but it's still a flexibility and strength thing that needs to be rebuilt. Most athletes don't feel normal after a clavicle surgery for like a year from all the ones I've spoken with (hey you broke yours, haha, here's my x-ray from 10 years ago).

Getting hit by a car can mess up every thing. I got into a fight with a chiropractor, I've been recovering from that stupid experience too. Get feeling better. I'm doing better but I deserve my pain.

For what it's worth I use dumbbells for squats (mine are usually super-set with a Leg Press+ Calf raise) gives you more freedom to make things "comfortably" heavy. Goblet squats hit your core as well.

I hate leg day. Not gonna lie.

Strength Cages and safety bars are awesome.

I would say that structurally my clavicle is healed and it can take having a bar on my shoulders unloaded as I rebuild my strength...next week final set will be 55lbs :mad:. But strength and flexibility wise I'd be topping out at like 30lb goblet squats.

Last edited:
@ThunderHorse Yeah if you do decide to purchase one you definately have the right idea to go with the Elite FTS. My gym bought one about 9 months ago. Before that they had a cheap Titan fitness safety squat bar and the bar whip on that thing was stoopid.

Back