Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

I've gotten into competing in Strongman events in the last year. Its different and exciting when you can lift randomly heavy things and carry them for a short distance. I also play rugby on Tuesday, Thursday and the occasional Saturday when there is a match. I mostly play to keep up my cardiovascular health, but its also just a huge amount of fun to do. Still kinda suck at both because I'm inexperienced, but there's only one way to get better.

Last edited:
So where is everyone in their fitness goals?

For those over you over 35 how do you eat, sleep, train at this stage in your life?

Not quite where I want to be, I prolly will never be content where I'm at either. But us younger-middle aged warriors need to be careful eating and training. Everyone is able to respond with short answers, this is the best I can do for short. Best wishes for @Marine0311 and everyone else

For eating--
First thing in the morning, sustained protein shake and vitamins- >low cal high protein and fiber breakfast- >light snack->sandwich or rice+meat meal for lunch-> (pre workout prior~1hr) isowhey- >post workout shake high in carbs- >snack or tuna sandwich - >sleep.

I've turned into a small eater 5-6 times a day. So yeah I'm "that guy" at the super market that looks spaced out looking at foods, but honestly I'm looking at nutrition info and ingredients. I've approached the point I want the most out of what I eat. In our house to drink it's just water, tea, and liquor. I try not to drink beer(never really liked it.) I hate soda and sweet beverages; separately ice cream.

image.jpeg

Sleeping--
Gist you need it, fat is burned, and hormones balence while sleeping, I think. I've been observing over the last 20 something years from my friends and my own mistakes is how Cortisol levels affect us and worth doing a internet search if you don't know already. I'm gonna stay in my lane, I like to think I'm smart, but I'm not gonna bs the science behind it and it's worth the research the reader does forming their own opinion. But as far as I understand sleep is when your body repairs itself and is very important.

I strive for at least 7hrs, but if I don't get it I don't worry. Some natural and pharma pre-workouts will have me shooting lasers out my eyeballs post workout and when it's bedtime I'm still fighting the caffeine to go to sleep. Wish there was more options for stim free or low stim pre workouts. I Feel like Large Marge using stims. Reading helps but my tablets make my eyes want to explode.

Training--
No gist it's just long winded. One thing that is true for everyone: I go thru a gallon of water or more in daily training, dehydration affects the effectiveness of your muscles. I watched the TACP schoolhouse moto videos and said to myself that little bottle would last me maybe 5 mins, then I'm sipping the murky water out of those muddy pits they train in. I think dehydration affect me more now than when I was 18.

As you know, with any goal a routine is different for everyone and everyone has a different goal. My goal is mass. Everyday I'm inching closer and closer to Larry Scott. I train 4times a week and it is structured work out. I push myself heavy for 1-2hrs and move thru a super set at about 15-30mins pace each. I've gone 3hrs constantly 4times a week for 10 weeks and become very sick (shingles) afterwards. I've since been supplementing flavorless glutamine to my 45min mark intra workout iso shake. I don't care about what people say about vitamins I pee nuke yellow, something is happening and I generally feel better using them.

Gist of this is form over heavy weight. Another thing "we" are mentally strong, but sometimes that's a bad thing. The wrong form will end a shoulder, or at the least set you back a few weeks depending on what went wrong. I tried benching with a smith machine gave it up for DBs because smith machine is unnatural for form and will erode your shoulders as I had this happen to me. I now step up to a weight either it's coming off the ground once with good form or it is going back to the rack for some other lighter weight. I've slowed down with weights (maybe for the better,) I feel faster running too, may not be the case for all 40yo.

Edit: The most important thing I forgot, stretching. Double it at 40.

Last edited:
Finally back in the pool and I've gotta tell ya...not swimming for two months feels like when haven't run for two weeks...a brick wall.

Six weeks out from Cactus Man Olympic Triathlon and I'm hitting every workout planned, recovery is better than where I was in the summer as we prepped for the LifeTime Tempe Olympic. Base fitness is pretty much back and now I'm going to start adding in some really insane rides...well it is for my girlfriend as she freaks about the small stuff.

Was in a rush to get to gym this morning, forgot to grab my headphones.

Got to gym and remembered why I began wearing them in the first place.

Dude in the corner lifting light weights and grunting like like he’s having marathon sex.

Chill dude.

So working on my triathlon hydration when running, what time hacks do any of your distance runners use to sip water? Now at two 50 minute runs with my triathlon specific programming and I was bone dry from both my 9oz bottles at 45' the other day.

Are you running those 50 minute runs close to goal race pace or just a relaxed pace? I take water on runs past 20k but if they are a hard workout I try to just hydrate the night before and the morning of. Nothing worse than water slushing around your stomach in my opinion. If you do have to force down water preworkout or mid training session add some electrolytes and “Sip don’t chug”!

How long is the run portion of your triathlon? For the actual race hydrating during the cycling portion is probably a decent idea. I raced a half marathon on Saint Patricks day and the only people I saw take food/water mid race were the slower finishers. You’re probably fine with just one 9 oz bottle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and a easily digestible source of potassium 30-45 minute pre-run.

This guy is a professional runner/ultra marathoner who puts out some great content highly recommend his videos.

It's an Olympic, I don't carry hydration out there because there's always stations. Cycling I tend to stick with the 5 Minutes Sip, and 30 minutes Gel (Carbs), and usually take one gel on the run.

It's a 10k run, I've just been messing around on the hydration piece. As in the army we almost never brought hydration for runs.

Goal is to do a half in December...would require a lot of more volume on the bike than I have time for atm (so get an indoor trainer, obvious answer I know).

Cactus Man went like so...

Total Time- 3:13:18
Swim- 42:02 (Total bonk, swam 500m extra again. However PR, Tempe Tri was 45:32)
Bike- 1:24:23 (PR, Tempe Tri- 1:24:53, ride felt awesome though, hmmm)
Run- 1:00:47 (PR, Tempe Tri 1:06:02)

Congrats man! Whats your next milestone/event?

I’ve decided to let the hobby joggers catch up for a bit so I can lay down some extra mileage this summer.Then peak and race a few 5/10k this fall. Don’t think I’ll ever race another half marathon, that shit is hell!

Congrats man! Whats your next milestone/event?

I’ve decided to let the hobby joggers catch up for a bit so I can lay down some extra mileage this summer.Then peak and race a few 5/10k this fall. Don’t think I’ll ever race another half marathon, that shit is hell!

The next event is NYC Tri on the LifeTime series. That is the "A" Race of the year...although I'm looking really hard at 70.3 Indian Wells-La Quinta. If I throw down the bones on that it will be the second "A" Race of the year.

Aspiring to join the military I decided I needed to be more physically active and eat better - as well as personal wellness.

Before now I had undergone some significant weight changes:
  • At 15-16 I weighed under 130 lbs at a time, at nearly 6 feet tall, and was lightly active on a daily basis. Ate 1-2 small meals a day of generally unhealthy foods.
  • By the time I turned 17 I was 145 lbs, 6 feet, and moderately active. I never kept up my active level, but at least wasn't sedentary.
  • In January I decided to, as aforementioned, focus on nutrition and had last August, started Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
  • By the end of February I had realized I was up to 165 pounds when I weighed in for my first BJJ competition. At this point in time I had begun training in an "Advanced" class and the amount of physical activity I was committing to BJJ had multiplied.
  • Now, intending to begin a "cut" and absorbing all the info I can about fitness/nutrition I've dropped to 157 (two weeks ago) weighing in at my second competition.
  • I blew my knee out (dislocated) the Monday following my competition warming up for second class. Decided if I can't workout I should still be eating right and with the extra spare time I can focus on back-planning my calories/macros and what foods I want to eat and reasons why.
  • Dropped a few more pounds and am changing up my diet due to being effectively sedentary for at least 5 weeks until I can get back out there. Focusing on burning fat and hoping to get down to 145-150 lbs.
Some guys who I've been watching on YouTube to get some eating tips. Both are former military, and while I'm not a huge fan of Nick Bare's occasional "I'm going to act like I'm at a bodybuilding show" groove, he makes great content... in my opinion. If you watch his videos you'll see him advertising his company's supplements, fair warning if that's bothersome.

Nick Koumalatsos
Nick Bare

I don't take a lot of supplements. I was taking an electrolyte replacement drink when I was working out and take a supplement for "focus" and "mental acuity" that's admittedly refreshing. But lots of water, avoiding too much sugar especially added sugars, alcohol, caffeine, and eating out.

Really cool to read what y'ins are up to, will continue checking up here. Good luck with your goals.

Nick Bare hmmm...He's one of those guys I don't understand. He had already decided to resign, but chose not to submit his resignation until after the board met for promotions. Respect his hustle, but there's my personal opinion.

What @CDG said! At 6-0 your body can carry a good amount of muscle. Try to be in god shape between 190-200#.

So where is everyone in their fitness goals?

For those over you over 35 how do you eat, sleep, train at this stage in your life?

At 30 you start losing 1% of testosterone per year; metabolism slows in your 30s, REALLY slows in the 40s, you can lose 3-5% of muscle mass per year after 30...(FWIWm I will be 50 in November)

All that is to say, 'maintaining' is difficult, and goals (caveat: for most men) change.

Now I run about 3 miles twice a week, maybe three times, belong to a group (F3 | The mission of F3 is to plant, grow and serve small workout groups for the invigoration of male community leadership.) that does boot camp-type workouts twice a week, do a moderate-weight ruck at moderate pace for moderate mileage about twice a month. I am trying to stay active and maintain my weight. I carry about 10-12 pounds I just cannot seem to get rid of, though.

I eat well enough, try to stay at a low-to-moderate carb level, I do not deprive myself of any food.

Sleep is essential, and I average 7, 7 1/2 hours a night.

In my case once I hit 40 my body's warranty expired: I got cancer, had ortho surgeries, my herniated disc and low-back schmutz got worse (foraminal stenosis, compression fracture), and my renal labs show borderline renal failure.

Last edited:
Back