Fitness Milestones & Plans to share

Thanks! I heard him on your podcast a while back and couldn’t remember his name. I’ll check him out.

The Zone 2 training video on Ones Ready really changed how I approached running. I always treated running as miles in and out, and doing sprints but Zone 2 heart rate training enables me to do more for less.

Check out sonic endurance.com if you guys want online zone run coaching. I used them prior to going to my selection, and workouts were only delivered after analyzing results from your current days runs. He programmed for me knowing i wanted to do two ruck runs a week, and he was able to program running and deliver results around my gym/rucks/everything so long as provided the feedback, and I never felt overtrained.

They set up a trainingpeaks account for you to use, and give pretty detailed descriptions one you upload information. They'll tell the purpose of your workouts, why you're running in that zone, how your RPE should feel, what your effort level should be.

I've been trying to get ahold of my old running coach there to train me, but to this day, I do atleast one 45 minute Z2 run a week.

Well I’m about 4 months into training for a 50k (and 4 months out from the race) so I decided to hit a 25k run to see how the progress is coming. Ran an 11:42/mile average, 2330 feet of elevation and avg HR was 164. Pretty happy with the progress so far and looking forward to continuing.

Also ran a race half marathon about a month ago because it looked fun and ran a 1:44. Not bad considering the last time I ran a half I was in high school and did it in 2:14.

Last note:
Trail>road running

For those of you who professionally understand such things, what are the thoughts on lift/cardio on same day? Specifically, about 45 minutes of weight lifting and then immediately doing 20 minutes on the bike.

The internet being the internet, I am of course not surprised that there are equal number of factions willing to die on either hill.

For those of you who professionally understand such things, what are the thoughts on lift/cardio on same day? Specifically, about 45 minutes of weight lifting and then immediately doing 20 minutes on the bike.

The internet being the internet, I am of course not surprised that there are equal number of factions willing to die on either hill.

It doesn't really have an impact unless you're getting into higher levels of weight/cardio training, so that's probably not super important on your end.

The only thing that matters is what your goals are.

Wanting to do olympic style movements that require explosive power, or do heavy lifting?
Weights, then cardio.

Want to work on your split time to prep for a 20km bike race coming up?
Cardio, then weights.

For general health, it's really whatever you feel.
I'd play around with it. You may find that a moderate pace bike ride for 20 minutes is a good warmup before lifting, or it might be detrimental.

Best advice is to feel it out both ways and go with what you like the most.

What are your end goals? Lots of variables to consider. Volume of "work" (W=Fd) anticipated during your session, VO2 max, Type of exercise, etc.
However to quickly answer your question. The ratio you stated. Is a good starting point. At least that is what I have been doing. I am 60 years old and, that is the basic formula I use. Also dependent on your goals. It is a good idea to monitor and track your progress. Pen and paper work fine. Or about any of the smart watches available.
Hope this helps as I am not a professional. I have just been doing it a long time.

What are your end goals?
I’m 53 and overweight by … a lot compared to my goals.
I’m fortunate to feel pretty good/healthy and know that I am one bad step away from knee/back/heart/etc injury.

End goal is strength and weight loss. I’ve been doing my Pelaton 30-45 minutes 4-5 days a week and strength training 3-4 times per week.

Recently I’ve added a 15-20 minute ride directly after weight lifting; made the mistake of looking to see what ’the internet’ thought of that and the general consensus is that you are biking away your gains?

I’m 53 and overweight by … a lot compared to my goals.
I’m fortunate to feel pretty good/healthy and know that I am one bad step away from knee/back/heart/etc injury.

End goal is strength and weight loss. I’ve been doing my Pelaton 30-45 minutes 4-5 days a week and strength training 3-4 times per week.

Recently I’ve added a 15-20 minute ride directly after weight lifting; made the mistake of looking to see what ’the internet’ thought of that and the general consensus is that you are biking away your gains?
At this stage anything you do will provide noticeable gains. Providing you stick to your schedule. At the level you are probably at, based on what you are saying. That bike ride is not going to take away anything. If anything it will improve your cardiac loading and recovery.
Important to balance caloric intake and output as well. You should notice steady weight loss as well as increases in strength. If you run in just a slight caloric deficit. Over time your body composition should see a measurable improvement. In all of your areas of focus.

Yea, the internet experts all think that they are the top 1% of athletes. Like "theoldman" said, you'll benefit overall from it.

The only way you'd bike away your gains is if you wanted to move weights like Nick Best.

(Can't reccomend this show enough btw)

@Cookie_ the amount of Chow they ate in that episode was epic.

Beast "we'll have 50 burgers!"
Shaw "do you have wings?"
Waitress "yeah"
Shaw "ok we'll take 200 or so, whatever you have in the back."

:ROFLMAO:

@Ooh-Rah I think To drop weight and keep muscle at our age you have to go cardio then weights ensuring your protein in take is high.

Good luck sir!
:thumbsup:

think To drop weight and keep muscle at our age you have to go cardio then weights ensuring your protein in take is high.

Agree. Just do something regularly. Walk, jog, run and lift some weight or do body weight exercises. I don't really watch what I eat, just how much I eat. Getting older sucks, I recently had to stop lifting heavy because I keep getting tennis elbow. Recovery is so important.

Last edited:
Well, about 8 months ago I started training for an ultra marathon and today I completed it. Incredibly proud of myself for sticking through and finishing it because it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Can also confidently say I don’t ever want to do it again. The time commitment needed is outstanding and not lifting at all for the last 8 months makes me feel like a weak bitch. Regardless, happy I did it. Now to do a sprint triathlon in about 10 days.

Well, about 8 months ago I started training for an ultra marathon and today I completed it. Incredibly proud of myself for sticking through and finishing it because it was the hardest thing I’ve ever done. Can also confidently say I don’t ever want to do it again. The time commitment needed is outstanding and not lifting at all for the last 8 months makes me feel like a weak bitch. Regardless, happy I did it. Now to do a sprint triathlon in about 10 days.
Get on the list for @SpongeBob*24 latest fitness challenge. I would imagine just posting your numbers. Would make weak bitches out of the rest of us!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Hope to catch up with you again either in August or next January. We had a real good time back there in 2020.

Tinman6

Get on the list for @SpongeBob*24 latest fitness challenge. I would imagine just posting your numbers. Would make weak bitches out of the rest of us!

Congratulations on your accomplishment! Hope to catch up with you again either in August or next January. We had a real good time back there in 2020.

Tinman6
Hey I don’t want to beat up on the old guys on the forum, that’s not how you make friends.

All jokes aside, I’ve done a few in the past (not on SS) and I’m horrible at updating it.

Let me know the next time you come back around here, I owe you some Basil Hayden’s.

Now that I weigh the most I ever have in my life, I’m back on a keto diet because I know that works for me. Once my body adjusts I’ll drag my ass to the gym a few times a week.

Lifestyle changes are easy once you hate yourself enough.

Back