Former Ranger Embeds As Journalist

Marauder06

Intel Enabler
Verified SOF
"Back then I was carrying a rifle, not a camera; I was trying to capture terrorists, not a compelling story." (link here)

I never had any real interest in going back to Iraq or Afghanistan, but I know many here do, and have.

Thought piece for the morning (for anyone, you don't have to be a Ranger): if you went back to somewhere you served in combat, why did you go? And if you haven't been back, would you?

171108-F-CC297-0062.JPG

Not my war, but I would love to go to Vietnam. I'd love to go, not just tour, but talk to the old folks about the war.

My wars? No thanks. Can't think of any reason to go somewhere that is still so hot there would be a fair chance to become a casualty.

I had several opportunities to go back to Vietnam, one for work, one as a tourist. The first one, in the 80's, was being arranged by my company. The bags were packed but it fell through at the last minute due to Communist red tape and travel permit snafus. Seems they didn't want me back so soon.

The second was in the 90s when a bunch of CAG guys were going over as a group. By that time my jonesing for a return had waned. Besides, I'd wanted to walk the same trails, visit the same hamlets, cross the same rice paddies, visit the places that had meaning to me personally, but apparently that wasn't possible at the time. You had to stick to an itinerary and had to have a Commie guide.

Not my war, but I would love to go to Vietnam. I'd love to go, not just tour, but talk to the old folks about the war.

My wars? No thanks. Can't think of any reason to go somewhere that is still so hot there would be a fair chance to become a casualty.

A few mates and I went in 2006. It was the 40th anniversary of our Battalion's major battle. It had happened a decade before we were born, but it was a big part of our Battalion's history and we were keen to go. We did the war museums up in Hanoi, and when you win you write your history the way you want. That it didn't reflect reality in any way shape or form didn't seem to matter to them.

Down South we checked out the remnants of the Australian Task Force base at Nui Dat, did the tunnels at Chu Chi, and visited the cross at Long Tan. The Vietnamese have actually given us back the original cross after 50 years, concurrently they've started restricting access to the replica cross and cracked right down on commemoration activities there as well.

Back