Fresh roasted coffee, gear advice, etc

I haven't, but I'm definitely interested. I'm new to the specialty coffee world. What is a good option for someone whose only experience with coffee is big store brand coffee such as Maxwell House? currently drinking Maxwell house blend (100% Arabica, Medium Roast). I don't like my coffee super strong.

I haven't, but I'm definitely interested. I'm new to the specialty coffee world. What is a good option for someone whose only experience with coffee is big store brand coffee such as Maxwell House? currently drinking Maxwell house blend (100% Arabica, Medium Roast). I don't like my coffee super strong.

1. get a grinder
2. find a good purveyor of fresh whole bean roasts (some of the semi-fresh whole bean stuff in grocery stores isn't bad, the stuff in the canisters that you put in the small bags - and you can get just small amounts at a time to try out)
3. experiment with grind levels
4. experiment with different roasts
5. enjoy the ride.

The canned stuff is usually dreck, it's only good for cowboy coffee over a campfire.

Some Waffle Wafer sitting on top of the coffee mug to heat it up.. Delicious, in the winter. I generally use it over tea in the winter but great over coffee too. There are generally caramel and honey waffle wafers and they're both good.

For what its worth.. I heard coconut oil in coffee "tastes good" but I just tried a tablespoon in my cup (What a bitch to mix up) and I didn't taste much of anything. There are supposedly some health benefits behind having some coconut oil in there to start the day.

Dive in. Every origin tastes really different, so try them all. A good place to start is central or south America. My blend 55 is hugely popular. I roast to order, so it's as fresh as coffee gets...

Oh, bulletproof coffee is a bunch of bullshit. I can go claim by claim, but this should do the trick:

Why putting butter in your coffee is a big, steaming cup of ‘bulletproof’ nonsense

Last edited by a moderator:
The stupid thing is that butter and cream are the same thing, only one actually mixes in and tastes good. But whoa, switch from cream to butter and call it bulletproof and all of a sudden it has magical properties.

Kona is coming! Literally hand-picked a month ago, it's crazy fresh.

Christmas time is Kona time! I skipped this last year, but I'm bringing it back this holiday season. This Kona is the best the Big Island has to offer. It's grown by a husband and wife on their beautiful 5 acre farm; they do all the labor themselves, and don't use chemicals and pesticides (it's not certified organic, due to prohibitive cost). It's shade-grown, bird-friendly, and 100% American. The level of care they put into this coffee is astonishing, and it shows in every aspect of the coffee, from the beautifully uniform, large, defect-free green beans, to the way it roasts, to the flavors in the cup. Great coffees display the flavors of terroir, or where it's grown, and this is no exception: sweet coconut, toasted macadamia nut, caramelized sugar, and starfruit all wrapped up in a silky medium>heavy bodied package. It always sells out fast, so get some while you can!
http://www.westcoastroasting.com/100-estate-kona/

Last edited by a moderator:
Second batch ordered, and already almost gone.

...and this morning thanks to a source who shall remain unnamed but who's username is known to every Marine ever minted... I can see why.

The Kona is outstanding... hearty, yet delicate, with undertones of flowers and fruit... balanced with a bit of sweet and acid. Best Kona I've ever had. And a small bit of heavy cream does not hide the flavor, it really makes it Pop and brings a tiny bit of cocoa to the surface. Yup, I started with the fresh brewed black, then added a little heavy cream to see if it masked or enhanced the flavors... enhanced, definitely enhanced, Charlie Babbitt.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for the Kona.

Guys - one more pitch for the Kona. Poured a full french press into a thermos this morning for a.m. conference call - 2 hours later...all gone!

F'ing delicious!!!

Well, my roaster is a 6lb roaster, but I only roast 4lb batches. Which is insane, but whatever. :D

Back