Future Weapons - CheyTac M200

Ravage

running up that hill
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvvuxhD3z5E[/ame]

GROM purchased this rifle about a year ago.

zdjecie_517_6386.jpg

HiRes

It's a Canadian Army Sniper team that holds the record kill and I don't believe they use a lot of electronic equipment to do their calculations. I'm sure Pete will be along some time to chime in on this and provide first hand expertise on this.

The current world record for the longest range sniper kill is 2,430 meters (7,972 feet), accomplished by a Canadian sniper, Corporal Rob Furlong, of the third battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 BMG (12.7mm) McMillan TAC-50 bolt-action rifle. This meant that the bullet had a flight time of ≈ 4.5 seconds, and a drop of ≈ 70 meters (230 feet).

This impressive feat of marksmanship is not typical for the effective range with a high first hit probability[3] of the employed rifle (see Sniper rifle: maximum effective range). The ambient air density in the Shah-i-Kot Valley where Corporal Furlong operated is significantly lower than at sea level due to its 2,432 m (9,000 ft) mean elevation. This increases the maximum effective range of a high powered sniper rifle like Corporal Furlong used by ≈ 600 m (1968 ft).

The previous record was held by US Marine sniper Carlos Hathcock, achieved during the Vietnam War, at a distance of 2,250 meters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper

I need to ask, how important is addjusting to the coriolis effect of the earth ? I mean the CheyTac guy told:
"...your stationary target is actually moving at a thousand miles an hour...".
How true is that ?

Yeah but thats at the shooter's end, do they just assume the wind is the same 2,500 yrds away?

Pretty much all you can do besides guestimate unless you have a wind indicator down range. That being said, my only rifle is a tricked out Rem. 700 that doesn't shoot NEAR that far (nor do I have the skills to if I wanted to).

Back