Gardening

Tonight when I went to water, I realized I've got ten green tomatoes on my tomato plant, and the cilantro, parsley and basil (my God, I just tried to write basily- no matter!) are kickin'! I'm excited.

So...ugh. The fungus has basically won. I called the local ag extension and had a long talk with one of their peeps. I'll distill this down to bullet points.
- Drip irrigation is the way to go
- Mulch isn't necessary, but if you use it they recommend pine straw or pine bark nuggets
- He recommended pine straw because you can till it under at the end of the season and now you have compost
- I should have planted back in Feb., as in "in the ground" not starting the seed
- The hotter the summer, the worse the fungus
- You can't kill the fungus in the soil without killing all of the good fungus
- A prophylactic fungicide with the aforementioned drip irrigation is the play

He sent a link with FL specific knowledge, but I'm sure the county ag extension has similar articles for your area.
Ask IFAS: Vegetable Gardening in Florida

I still have tomatoes and watermelon. The zucchini is growing, but no fruit as yet. Maybe plant some strawberries for the winter?

Parsley looks like it's about to... almost die. Not the whole plant, just a couple of shoots. There aren't that many. We'll see.
At least one tomato has started turning red. Basil is doing good, cilantro, cilantro is looking sus.

Cilantro is flowering. Not really sure what to do about that. It's about 2 feet tall now. Very pretty white flowers. Not the purpose and doesn't further my Bruschetta goal. I can eat it by the spoonful like an animal, if the opportunity presents.
And then we have many of this little guy-IMG_20220720_063048977.jpg
I took a bite out of it- because...idk fuck it. Wasn't great.
In general my entire tomato plant is doing green things.

I'm gonna just see what happens.

Cilantro is flowering. Not really sure what to do about that. It's about 2 feet tall now. Very pretty white flowers. Not the purpose and doesn't further my Bruschetta goal. I can eat it by the spoonful like an animal, if the opportunity presents.
And then we have many of this little guy-View attachment 39988
I took a bite out of it- because...idk fuck it. Wasn't great.
In general my entire tomato plant is doing green things.

I'm gonna just see what happens.

Cilantro is extremely heat sensitive and will turn to coriander(when it flowers and seeds) rapidly in the heat.

You have to wait for the tomatos to turn red bro.

Heathen...

Best Fried Green Tomatoes

What Are Green Tomatoes?

Green tomatoes are unripe red tomatoes with much firmer flesh and a sharp, tart flavor. Most are intentionally picked before maturing to ensure the crispest, driest fruit possible. Because they have a lower water content, green tomatoes are perfectly suitable for sauteeing and frying.

Also if you’re going to pickle, green tomatoes are amazing and far superior to the ripe red ones.
Cilantro is extremely heat sensitive and will turn to coriander(when it flowers and seeds) rapidly in the heat.

Can you remove the cilantro flowers like you do with basil to stop it maturing as fast?

My garden is doing things... I planted one of each from seed in November indoors, transplanted to pots in February and planted in the ground right after the last frost.

Tomato 1 - Is about a foot tall and has the 4th tomato of the year ready to start turning red
Tomato 2 - Is about 4 feet tall and just started developing fruit. There are about 15 tomatoes on it
Cabbage - Something ate all of the leaves leaving only the veins like a spiderweb. Dug up and gone
Cucumber - Never made it into the ground
Corn - Never made it into the ground
Borage(star flower) - if you haven't tried this one, do. The leaves taste like cucumber when young and are amazing in a green salad. 1.5 foot tall and plenty of leaves
Cilantro - 10 inch tall, still deciding if it's going to make it.
Italian Parsley - Struggling but about a foot tall
Green Bell Pepper - two feet, four so far, two of which had exactly one bite taken from them by an animal when they were almost ready to pick
Raspberries - never made it to the ground
Blueberries - one plant, never grew, had two leaves when put in the ground. Still has two leaves
Basil - 3 foot plant, giant 3" wide leaves
Oregano - it's an oregano bush now 2 feet across and 1 foot tall
Thyme - also a bush, about 1 foot across and 6 inches tall
Spearmint - like a weed. I dug it out of the ground and put into a planter to keep it from taking over the whole garden.

Also if you’re going to pickle, green tomatoes are amazing and far superior to the ripe red ones.

Can you remove the cilantro flowers like you do with basil to stop it maturing as fast?

I do not know the answer to that. I’ve never been able to keep cilantro outside of early spring in NC.

Back