Gearheads

You might want to be a little more specific. I could go on for a couple of hours about British sports cars; but I won't.
I was leaning more towards current car/builds. But British sports cars huh? Classy. I'm more of a German fan. But it can be an abusive relationship.

I was leaning more towards current car/builds. But British sports cars huh? Classy. I'm more of a German fan. But it can be an abusive relationship.

^^^There ya go! Something to build a thread on, say what. Thanks for the "classy".

How can you not be classy in a Morgan? ;-)
I wish she was a Morgan, with all that Ashwood. It's a 1980 MG-B that has done a fair amount of autocross time. Many changes from origional. The 1980's were the worst year, and the last year for the MG-B's. The suspension has been changed to a lower , and stiffer one.I installed a "High Rise" cam, got rid of all the smog controls. The Carb is a twin horns side draft Webber, along with headers for the exhaust, and the CC is gone, but we don't inspect for that here. She is a black LE that sits low to the ground, sticks to the road like paint, and is pretty darn quick. I love it.

Last edited:
View attachment 15340

View attachment 15341

The ride height has been lowered about four inches.
Very nice. 4 inches?!

I'd like to love British sports cars but I like driving more than I like wrenching ;-) , so my passion is more geared for the Teutonic types as well. :-)

I've been away from events for a few years but have done a fair amount of high speed DE and club racing. Good times.

Very nice. 4 inches?!

I'd like to love British sports cars but I like driving more than I like wrenching ;-) , so my passion is more geared for the Teutonic types as well. :-)

I've been away from events for a few years but have done a fair amount of high speed DE and club racing. Good times.

The first car I owned was a 1964 B. She saw me through all of undergrad with only owner induced cluch woes. I liked to burn rubber some, and the clutch would burn out with the tires. To change the clutch, you had to yank the engine. The real bitch was mating engine to tranny almost blind. On the second clutch change I spent the extra bucks and put in a compitition unit. The engine was bullit proof, and I never had a problem with it, or the rest of the drive train. She never burned or leaked a drop of oil.

The first car I owned was a 1964 B. She saw me through all of undergrad with only owner induced cluch woes. I liked to burn rubber some, and the clutch would burn out with the tires. To change the clutch, you had to yank the engine. The real bitch was mating engine to tranny almost blind. On the second clutch change I spent the extra bucks and put in a compitition unit. The engine was bullit proof, and I never had a problem with it, or the rest of the drive train. She never burned or leaked a drop of oil.

Bought a sweetly aged 1975 MGB after returning stateside in 1998. Totally bulletproof engine as mentioned, with a great suspension despite inappropriately narrow tires.

Still managed to find the suspension/ tire limit, though. While entering a highway from an on ramp that was bordered by concrete walls I went too fast, lost traction and scraped the car about fifty feet along the wall. It was night time so the light show was spectacular.

It wasn't a total write off but fairly thrashed on the left side. Sold it to a (probably more deserving) gentleman who did a fine restoration, then I bought a 1969 Nova SS to restore with the money.

Still have the SS and it corners for shit. :D

I did not explain the lower sping height. When the MG-B was first built, they sat just a wee bit higher than mine does. US safety standards, and emission standards turned the B into a strangled wallering pig. At the end, the 1.8L I-4 was only good for around 60bhp. Because of bumper height requirements here, the bumpers became ugly, and the raised the suspension to meet US standards. It was enough to kill the car dead in 1980. They were nothing at all like the real B's. . The reason I grabbed the one I did, was because the ugly black bumpers didn't look quite so ugly.

Bought a sweetly aged 1975 MGB after returning stateside in 1998. Totally bulletproof engine as mentioned, with a great suspension despite inappropriately narrow tires.

Still managed to find the suspension/ tire limit, though. While entering a highway from an on ramp that was bordered by concrete walls I went too fast, lost traction and scraped the car about fifty feet along the wall. It was night time so the light show was spectacular.

It wasn't a total write off but fairly thrashed on the left side. Sold it to a (probably more deserving) gentleman who did a fine restoration, then I bought a 1969 Nova SS to restore with the money.

Still have the SS and it corners for shit. :D

Concrete-v-steel, I'll bet that was a wall of sparks. I'm sorry to hear about your B.

The Nova SS was a great choice. Pretty lightweight, and had the potential of being a real screamer. What size engine do you have in it? And is it restored or original?

Concrete-v-steel, i'll bet that was wall of sparks. I'm sorry to hear about your B.

The Nova SS was a great choice. Pretty light weight, and had the potential of being a real screamer. What size engine do you have in it? And is it restored or origional?

Originally, a 396 big block. That's currently sitting on an engine jig, though, after swapping it for a 350 small block.

I like the way the small blocks wind up and it eats gas less than the 396.... slightly less... ;-)

I have a 2001 B5 S4. Pulling the engine is the start of all my repairs. I'm having turbo issues. Again. So I have to pull it again

Back