Get Rid of the Marine Corps???

A jump from the current 90; I looked it up because i was curious.

For perspective, 105 is the same GT you need to get a Ranger contract.
Realistically, 5 more points and I believe the entire field of options opens up, at least in the Army. When I joined up in 2006 I had people with ASVAB waivers in OSUT with me. Think about that one.

I think it's a great move and one the Army should think about too.

I think it's a fair argument should vs should not. I agree, add jump, dive and ARC (BRC now) and it's pretty much recon. But since a lot of Marines go through a lot of those courses anyway, why not formalize the process?
BRC equals recon. That course is almost 9 to 10 months long now by the way. Mountain troops have always been elite infantry soldiers historically.

The way I'm interpreting 4 months of training is inclusive of ITB. That's a pretty short amount of time to train to all those capabilities. But I think if they can pull this off, those who wanted to be a Ranger but can't secure a contract may see them enlisting in the Marines instead. That GT score jump is huge.

yes, and in fact I think it's more common to go from Spec4 to SGT than Spec4-->CPL-->SGT.

So, not really to do with the Corps. But more to do with CPLs going forward. The Army has a draft policy out now. I swear they change this promotion stuff every 18 months because some Sergeants Major needs an DMSM. Just like the temporary promotion for deployed soldiers or pregnant soldiers.

Under the draft policy-The BLUF
Commander's discretion on lateral promotion has been removed. All Corporals whom are not BLC graduates will be laterally demoted to SPC. All Corporals whom are BLC Graduates and are not recommended by a promotion board for promotion to Sergeant will be laterally demoted to SPC.

All SPCs who are BLC Graduates and have been recommended by a promotion board for promotion to Sergeant will receive automatic lateral promotion to Corporal.

The idea going forward falls in line with some other stuff that aligned previous NCO Development. The Idea generally is that you attend a Promotion Board, get recommended, then go to BLC or ALC, and then you wait to be promoted. For Centralized promotion boards that is supposed to be the same. Get Selected, Go To School, Wait for Sequence Number to be promoted.

So, not really to do with the Corps. But more to do with CPLs going forward. The Army has a draft policy out now. I swear they change this promotion stuff every 18 months because some Sergeants Major needs an DMSM. Just like the temporary promotion for deployed soldiers or pregnant soldiers.

Under the draft policy-The BLUF
Commander's discretion on lateral promotion has been removed. All Corporals whom are not BLC graduates will be laterally demoted to SPC. All Corporals whom are BLC Graduates and are not recommended by a promotion board for promotion to Sergeant will be laterally demoted to SPC.

All SPCs who are BLC Graduates and have been recommended by a promotion board for promotion to Sergeant will receive automatic lateral promotion to Corporal.

The idea going forward falls in line with some other stuff that aligned previous NCO Development. The Idea generally is that you attend a Promotion Board, get recommended, then go to BLC or ALC, and then you wait to be promoted. For Centralized promotion boards that is supposed to be the same. Get Selected, Go To School, Wait for Sequence Number to be promoted.
That's a bunch of E4's going fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Similar to when the Corps added the Lance Corporal rank as E3 and all the E4 Sergeants became Corporals. Yikes.

Last edited:
Back