Good plate carrier

While I love the LBT I had before (gave it to a guy in my old section) I was thinking of going with the SKD Pig insteasd of the issue eagle eqpt. I wonder if anyone has tried that one and can talk about their merits or issues.
Thanks

I had a mate of mine ask me some advice about a plate carrier a while back, he was eyeing up an SKD Pig. I looked at the Pig online and I obviously couldn't tell him how it felt/ performed etc... but after seeing the metal G hook as a load bearing component (I can see that slicing through the webbing) I told him to get the TYR GPC for the same price. I know TYR is good.

I'm running a LBT right now, it's ok. It has lots of space on it but I find it very bulky. A lot of guys are rocking either a TYR or Crye JPC and they say they prefer those over the LBT.
We have two large orders for TYR gear for a CANSOF unit now.

All you gucci bastards and your plate carriers... You make me sick!

I went through some pain to be able to wear a 'gucci' plate carrier.

Fair point :D

I kinda miss my old webbing, in fact Ive still got a set of PLCE webbing. The PC's dont nearly hold as much gear as a good set of webbing.

Ah I dunno, PLCE was decent enough but once ya start rocking body armour and what not I fell out of love with it.

Not holding as much gear is probably a good thing, too many people try filling their pouches for the sake of it. I'd take someone's hand off to be allowed use PC's purely because our issued body armour is horrendous.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I dunno, PLCE was decent enough but once ya start rocking body armour and what not I fell out of love with it.

Not holding as much gear is probably a good thing, too many people try filling their pouches for the sake of it. I'd take someone's hand off to be allowed use PC's purely because our issued body armour is horrendous.

A good plate carrier is a pleasure to wear for sure, a hell of a lot more comfortable than webbing, but I like to have a decent amount of ammo on me and I liked that I could live off my webbing alone for days.

A good plate carrier is a pleasure to wear for sure, a hell of a lot more comfortable than webbing, but I like to have a decent amount of ammo on me and I liked that I could live off my webbing alone for days.

Suppose it all just moved with the times... In a few years we'll probably be back to people wanting PLCE again!

There is an X-Deal on GovX right now for the SHELLBACK TACTICAL BANSHEE RIFLE PLATE CARRIER. You can pick one up for $115. They are originally $199. I have read the reviews and it seems to be a good buy. Any personal experience with these carriers?

Most of our guys wore either a Blue Force Gear LWPC (myself included) or the Crye JPC. One guy ponied up for a CAGE and when I tried that on it was like a pillow was made for me. We all have LBT 6094 as a standby for heavy duty kit situations (loads of space on it).
Check out AWS here in Fayetteville. The guys from one of the other teams had their JPC copy rig and it was awesome at a great price. I love my kit but if I needed another I would pick one up there. Just my $0.02USD.

Back