Good plate carrier

devilbones

Verified Military
I am looking to get a good plate carrier. I am flying a bunch these days and left my older one at home. I was looking at the Condor MOLLE Style Modular but I was thinking it may be a bit overboard. I just want something to you know carry the plates and not spend a bunch of money. Also if anyone has one they would let go for cheap please let me know.

Nice Free!

Good + cheap? Can't help you...

For comfort and awesomeness, SOHPC would be my choice, others like the Crye Hard Plate carrier.

Thanks Freefalling, I did a search of just the titles and it only came up with two results. I only have a few more months here so I am not sure if I am going to get one unless its under a hundred. I appreciate the links though and have been going through them.

I just received my Condor plate carrier in the mail. It was $37 and arrived in about a week. It is very light and has good adjustment points but its made in China. Are most of these made in China?

I just received my Condor plate carrier in the mail. It was $37 and arrived in about a week. It is very light and has good adjustment points but its made in China. Are most of these made in China?

Condor is not a particularly good brand, what did you expect for $37 though?

...For comfort and awesomeness, SOHPC would be my choice, others like the Crye Hard Plate carrier.

I had a SOHPC. While it was a step up from the Eagle PC that comes in the R/SF-LCS it doesnt hold a candle to the comfort, scalability, or fit of the PICO from TYR tactical. I will post some pics in a lil while.

I wasn't expecting much. I got what I paid for though.

That's cool, if it works for you rock on.

I had a SOHPC. While it was a step up from the Eagle PC that comes in the R/SF-LCS it doesnt hold a candle to the comfort, scalability, or fit of the PICO from TYR tactical. I will post some pics in a lil while.

Oh yeah? I'm very interested in seeing the pics.

Hitman has one, I finger fucked one, good carrier but not an all rounder IMHO.

The Tyr one looks pretty cool, Mayflower APC does as well.

The elastic on my SOHPC hasn't held up too well. Maybe I was trying to make it too tight? Other than that, I love it. I haven't had much experience with plate carriers before this one.

The elastic on my SOHPC hasn't held up too well....

That was one of the problems with my SOHPC as well. The tops of the bands started to fray and lost their elasticity. I sold it to one of the young Chemical Recon Det guys attached to us when I received my TYR PC - best PC I have owned.

I have worn the Crye JPC on a couple missions as well, and while light the comfort isnt comparable to the TYR.

Not that I'll be using one anytime soon, but does anyone have any experience with TAG/Shellback's Banshee? It looks a bit on the smallish side, but they've got soft armor inserts for it and it takes full sized plates. OP mentioned flying, so I'd assume that something smaller/lighter would be good for cramped quarters like aircraft interiors.

I know at least for us Marines, we aren't able to use any sort of PC or vest that isn't issued to us. How does it work for others? IE Regular Army, AF, their respective SOFs, MARSOC, Recon.

Back