Hurlburt hosts Talon I dedication ceremony

DA SWO

SOWT
Verified SOF
From the AFSOC web page, there are pics at the link.
Love they put the old school paint scheme on her.
I am old, my rides are sitting in airparks across the land.

http://www2.hurlburt.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123255056

/9/2011 - HURLBURT FIELD, Fla. -- Hundreds of Hurlburt Field Airmen and guests gathered at the base airpark for a dedication ceremony that honored and reflected on the accomplishments of a 47-year-old MC-130E Combat Talon I (64-0567), May 6.

"Her time for action has come and gone," said Col. Daniel Zook, 1st Special Operations Wing vice commander, in regards to the aircraft, which was retired from the Air Force May 7, 2010. "May she always bear witness to those who have the guts to try."

Every aircraft in the military has a story to tell and the MC-130E Combat Talon I (64-0567) is no different.

The Air Force developed the MC-130E Combat Talon I (64-0567) in 1964, and throughout the years it made history over and over again.

For starters, in 1965, the aircraft became one of the first models modified with the Fulton Surface-to-Air-Recovery-System, which is used for retrieving persons on the ground.

But modifications weren't the only things this aircraft was known for; it also played a key role in a number of historical missions. For example, on Nov. 26, 1979, the crew of tail number 64-0567 conducted the first fixed-wing air land flight while using night-vision goggles. And during Operation Just Cause in 1989, the aircraft carried the notorious drug lord, Manuel Antonio Noriega, to Miami to be put on trial for his crimes.

After many years of service and 21,336.5 flight hours, the aircraft took its final flight from Boise, Idaho to its final resting place at Hurlburt Field, where it displays the same paint scheme it had during its 1980 Eagle Claw mission.

"I loved flying this aircraft," Colonel Zook said. "I will forever enjoy seeing her here."

Bringing her here was no small task on its own. Between the crew that flew her last flight, the engineers who planned her move from the flightline to the airpark, and the contractors that coordinated with the historians to give her a fresh coat of paint, dozens worked together to make the dedication possible.

"My guys understand the importance of the preservation of this aircraft so that it can be viewed by past, present and future generations of Airmen," said Master Sgt. Bradly Masters, 1st Special Operations Electronic Maintenance Squadron flight chief.

The ceremony ended with an unveiling of two plaques with the history of the MC-130E Combat Talon I (64-0567), or as some knew her, "Wild Thing."

A grand ole aircraft, with a well earned rest.

I think the C-130 is probably one of the most adaptable aircraft we have ever had. Right along with the C-47 that was so important during and after WW II.

RF 1

What you can't see in the photo is that they used high-gloss paint on the bird; not the dull shades of black and green from the old days.

AMEN. The make-up of the original girl (the one we are all used to) should be left.

Quite a few of us bitched about the glossy paint. Something to do with the preservatives in the paint makes it glossy, or so I'm told.

As for the paint scheme itself, 567 is supposed to represent the Combat Talon with the Mod 70 configuration--Fulton system, no Helo AR pods, no DIRCM balls--and that's the paint job she wore when Mod 70 came out. A lot of the old-head Talon community felt the Talon just didn't look right without the Fulton whiskers. I personally can't argue with that, even though I never got the chance to perform a Fulton recovery before they de-modded the planes in 2000.

The two-tone gray didn't start showing up until the early 90s. Hopefully, some of the other Talons still out there will be preserved with the latest paint job.

I don't know what makes it glossy; I still have to put on my sunglasses every morning before I drive past it.

it also negates the camo that is supposed to make it more difficult to spot.... that big bright yellow thing in the sky would make it sparkle more than team edward.

Having been a fanboy of old aircraft since I was 5, I wish they and our old ships could talk and tell the thousands of stories they witnessed throughout their "life."

I imagine they would all have at least a few good stories to tell . . . but the Combat Talons have a long history with stories many of us will never know.

Back