Hurricane Irma...

Most of the models agreeing is a bad sign for you guys.
Strong Hi is keeping it south for now, but will also allow it to crawl up your coast.
Strong (very early) cold front going through TX in the next 24-48 hrs would also tend to move things away from us, we have to see if the front hangs around after passing or weakens.

I thought as much. As you know, the gulf stream usually turns them north and into the Carolinas. Looking at the NOAA map posted earlier, the "bubble" begins to curve later in the week. I told my wife that we'll keep an eye on it but be ready to leave Friday morning. We're also far enough inland that things will suck, but shouldn't be catastrophic.
Wind damage and the poss of power are our greatest threats. We're on high ground so flooding isn't a concern.

No you don't, you start SAD... so get your kayaks out, you've trained for this. :wall::wall::wall:
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for that miserable blast from my past.

Our cyclones are mostly named after women because they howl and scream when they come, and they take the house when they leave.

Wishing all those in the affected area all the best. Mother Nature has been a real bitch there this past week.

Now, now...

1001257_632869526746483_1608659996_n.jpg

Current models show the west coast of Florida getting hammered, then cruising north. Of course, as big as it is, all of Florida will be hit.

Fucking Cat 5.

The stores around here are already running out of bottled water.

Fucking fuck-all. Get back out to sea, you bitch.

I'm weighing leaving tomorrow to beat the storm and evac with my wife or sticking with the plan to go back on Tuesday....based upon weather models. Ugh.

We're also far enough inland that things will suck, but shouldn't be catastrophic.

Don't be so sure, brother, with a Cat 5. I was in Charlotte, NC some 200-250 miles inland
when Hugo hit Charleston, SC...and Hugo toppled hundreds of huge old Live Oaks and blew roofs off even as far inland as we were. And Hugo was a Cat 4.

I thought as much. As you know, the gulf stream usually turns them north and into the Carolinas. Looking at the NOAA map posted earlier, the "bubble" begins to curve later in the week. I told my wife that we'll keep an eye on it but be ready to leave Friday morning. We're also far enough inland that things will suck, but shouldn't be catastrophic.
Wind damage and the poss of power are our greatest threats. We're on high ground so flooding isn't a concern.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for that miserable blast from my past.
The Atlantic High is driving Irma, that and any CONUS systems.

I'm weighing leaving tomorrow to beat the storm and evac with my wife or sticking with the plan to go back on Tuesday....based upon weather models. Ugh.

Go early, you still get time with your wife, and you are there "just in case".
Tell your wife to get enough gas for one full tank, then fill the vehicles up. We still have lines, but the generator gas I bought is saving our asses.

FWIW- Evac to the NW (i.e. panhandle), go see @racing_kitty :p

Don't be so sure, brother, with a Cat 5. I was in Charlotte, NC some 200-250 miles inland
when Hugo hit Charleston, SC...and Hugo toppled hundreds of huge old Live Oaks and blew roofs off even as far inland as we were. And Hugo was a Cat 4.

Hugo had less time and less land to dissipate, if this bitch rides up Florida, it should start running out of steam pretty quickly once it hits Georgia.

But, shit happens, and they can stay formed well inland, so there is that....

Water is running out as far north as Jax. I went to two large stores and the shelves were picked clean of water. One of the gas stations had a ring of cars trying to get in. Glad to see people are preparing early, but goddamn is it ruining my schedules.

Me: You need to evacuate. I'm coming home early.
Wife: We'll be fine.
Me: Uh, no. Hope is not a COA.
Wife: So you don't trust me to make an adult decision?

No dear, I trust you. I don't want to get stuck because the airlines believed the weather guessers and cancelled my flight.

You should get out soon as.

... What is it you're driving?

26869d5c31df731222cd244e205005a0.jpg

I can show y'all a good time in Pensacola.

Take her up on it, and use your CAC card to get on base at Hurlburt, walk the airpark.

Just came back from buying gas. All the weenies were there filling up their cans. No water at Winn Dixie or Publix. Screw it, I got a pond.

When Andrew hit south Florida I was in the St Pete/Tampa area and as big and bad as that motherfucker was, all we got was sunshine and gusty winds. Florida's a big state. It all depends on where it makes landfall.

BTW: Maximum sustained winds now one hundred eighty fucking five.

One week from today is the 38th anniversary of Frederic making landfall here in Mobile. I slept through the worst of it, and holy shit what a mess that was.

These Cape Verde storms are definitely to be respected

Back