Hurricane Irma...

@AWP, my wife hates uncertainty. She wants to go all-out and prepare for Armageddon now, or wait till Sunday to see what it's going to do. I told her either course doesn't make much sense right now.

She hates not knowing. I get it, but we need more information.

Given the run on supplies (I hate Rick Scott, what a douche) and knowing that FL would be a shit show if Irma rolled into town, I wanted my wife to be ready to move. Board up the house, gatheer your supplies, and have a plan. Hopefully that won't be necessary now, but joining an exodus up 75 or 95 on Friday as the storm approaches would be an epic fail. Too many variables, too many people to evac, and her managing everything by herself? I'd rather problem solve a day or two earlier than necessary.

Given the run on supplies (I hate Rick Scott, what a douche) and knowing that FL would be a shit show if Irma rolled into town, I wanted my wife to be ready to move. Board up the house, gatheer your supplies, and have a plan. Hopefully that won't be necessary now, but joining an exodus up 75 or 95 on Friday as the storm approaches would be an epic fail. Too many variables, too many people to evac, and her managing everything by herself? I'd rather problem solve a day or two earlier than necessary.

The Sheeple are in a high panic, bread & water gone. But there's plenty of hamburger and hotdog rolls and English Muffins. Perrier and Evian are still on the shelves. Water is water, bread is bread. The old ladies are starting to snarl at one another. This being Florida, somebody pretty soon will shoot somebody dead over water, gas or bread.

The Sheeple are in a high panic, bread & water gone. But there's plenty of hamburger and hotdog rolls and English Muffins. Perrier and Evian are still on the shelves. Water is water, bread is bread. The old ladies are starting to snarl at one another. This being Florida, somebody pretty soon will shoot somebody dead over water, gas or bread.
In days gone by people would fill the tub and sinks up with water, now it has to come from a bottle.

In days gone by people would fill the tub and sinks up with water, now it has to come from a bottle.

So true.

I have well water. It's okay for the livestock and furry critters but there's a lot of rust in it. My only concern is loss of power which means my well pump goes out. But I ordered a Dupont faucet-mounted water filtration device which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow...and I bought a bunch of 5 gal buckets with lids at Lowes, so I'll be filtering and filling buckets tomorrow.

I just haven't had the disposable income to invest in a water softener or a generator. They're awful expensive.

A really detailed article on the whole situation. It's officially the strongest storm in the Atlantic on record.

Irma is so strong it's registering on earthquake devices | Daily Mail Online

That's not accurate at all. Without clicking through, I'd hazard a guess that the DM got their story (minus the usual DM typos and bad proofreading) from the Miami Herald, and THAT story was a crock. They eventually amended that to say "outside of the Gulf of Mexico/Carribean."

I'm on my phone, so hot linking is a pain, but Google can turn up what I've found. Strong storms do turn up on seismographs; while the amount of energy required to do that is impressive, Irma is not alone. I found a Harvard abstract comparing the microseismic signatures of Katrina and super-typhoon Ioki (a damned impressive 2006 storm, in case anyone wants to get their "cyclone nerd" on). Category 4 storms also drum up a seismic measurement. It's awe-inspiring, to say the least, but using that information to whip up a frenzy is garbage reporting.

As for the "strongest storm on record" claims, that's hogwash. A hurricane's intensity is determined by its barometric pressure, not just wind speed. As of the 1200 EDT advisory, Irma's top wind was at 185mph, with a central pressure of 922mb (same as hPa). Hurricane Wilma (2005) bottomed out at 882mb, Camille (1969) hit 900mb, and Katrina dipped to 902mb. Yes, those were all Gulf of Mexico storms, with Wilma not fitting the Cape Verde profile.

Irma does tie with Andrew (1992) at 922mb. However, Andrew was just above the threshold for category 5 when he came ashore. In fact, he was originally considered a category 4 when he came ashore (154mph winds); the category 5 designation came a few years later after reviewing the damage reports and read outs from various weather stations.

Irma is a strong, dangerous storm. The media's overwhelming desire to sensationalize this storm only serves to numb the public to the gravity of the situation now, and with regards to future major hurricanes. If every storm becomes the storm of the century, then people will tune out the people who bill it as such. Compare them to other storms, certainly. That gives people a reference point that they can understand, and is much less full of malarkey than "WORST STORM EVER" in big, red letters.

The media's overwhelming desire to sensationalize this storm only serves to numb the public to the gravity of the situation now

They sensationalize even tropical storms, which are basically rain producers of less violence than your average big thunderstorm. So people do become numb. Ratings and revenue increase proportionately to the amount of fear they can generate. But it can backfire.

So true.

I have well water. It's okay for the livestock and furry critters but there's a lot of rust in it. My only concern is loss of power which means my well pump goes out. But I ordered a Dupont faucet-mounted water filtration device which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow...and I bought a bunch of 5 gal buckets with lids at Lowes, so I'll be filtering and filling buckets tomorrow.

I just haven't had the disposable income to invest in a water softener or a generator. They're awful expensive.

Look into an RO system. Next to no maintenance and most plumbing companies will let you rent them until you reach the MSRP and then you keep it. That's we did with our well. It hooks up to one faucet and that's the drinking water. It also has a 20gal tank, so you always have a reserve built in. We got ours when they first started getting popular years back and it was like 60$ a month for 2yrs...now I think to buy outright it is 600, so that monthly payment will be a lot lower.

So roughly 3-4 days out and there is no water, bread, and gas (except premium and diesel and that is running out). Moderate resupply is expected, but expect long ass lines.

My wife bought two buckets from Home Depot and cleaned those out. Boom, water. When all of this is over, some of the supplies can go into the buckets for future use. Bathtub water to flush the toilet, no problem.

She's a city girl and knows this much while all of the Hank Williams Jr. crowd in FL have lost their minds over bottled water.

Ladies and gentlemen, whoever was today's pilot on DL431 with service to San Juan has some huge balls. From Flightradar 24's Twitter feed earlier:

View attachment 19624
It made it and turned around.

Flightradar24 on Twitter

DJDXMlkWsAAibqG.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. Up here on the flight deck we expect it be a little bumpy, so we're gonna' keep the Fasten Seatbelts sign on for the entire flight. Unfortunately this means our cabin service may be curtailed, but we're going to do our best to make this a safe and uneventful flight. If you look out the left side you'll notice the big goddamn storm we're flying into, but Boeing makes great products, so nothing to worry about. So, sit back and enjoy the flight and thank you for flying with Delta Airlines. Flight attendants, cross check and prepare for departure.

This thing is real.

We are flushing 50 people on 4 different COAs and it's a dangerous piece of weather.

Really worried about anyone thinking about staying- I think that's a bad call (understatement).

This thing is real.

We are flushing 50 people on 4 different COAs and it's a dangerous piece of weather.

Really worried about anyone thinking about staying- I think that's a bad call (understatement).

I have to stay. I can't abandon my livestock. If I have broken fences from falling limbs I'll have cows and our two horses running loose.

Back in '04, we had four hurricanes cross Florida and I made round-the-clock trips hauling livestock up to a friend's farm in northern Alabama...and they ended up having weather worse than us. It's a crap shoot, but you're right...anybody who doesn't have a compelling reason to stay needs to GTFO.

Last edited:
It looks like it is tracking back east a tad. If that holds true, it'll hit SC and go right up the gut of SC and NC.

Back