IBOLC 2LT

Carnehan

Unverified
Hello, I am an Active Duty 2LT 11A. I am currently in IBOLC and I have orders for 10th MTN, 3rd BCT in Ft. Polk.

Prior to joining the Army, I double majored in Computer Engineering and Applied Mathematics with a minor in Physics. I played D1 Rugby before getting a really bad concussion and did the only sensible thing and switched to MMA.

I'm no PT stud and if there is one thing that IBOLC has taught me, it's that I'm incredibly injury prone compared to my peers. When I joined it was my dream to pass RASP II or SFAS but now I would just consider earning my tab a miracle. IBOLC has definitely given me a bit of a reality check.

I'm here to learn. I am looking not just for mentorship from people who have made it in the SOF community, but also for all of the NCOs, SNCOs, and officers who can give me more general advice too.

Pass IBOLC, and I personally think you can attain the tab. It's not strictly physical.

Welcome aboard Lt.
Thank you. I'm currently recovering from stress fractures and am just training for the RPA. Any additional advice on the 25m target (Ranger) would be much appreciated. It seems like I'll be kind of hosed career wise without it.

Being a realist is one thing, but don't have yourself "failing" before you even attempt something. Your mind muscle is the strongest of all the muscles. Take everything as a challenge, beat it, and then drive on to the next challenge....

Welcome aboard and best of fortune to you with your career.

Last edited:
Being a realist is one thing, but don't have yourself "failing" before you even attempt something. Your mind muscle is the strongest of all the muscles. Take everything as a challenge, beat it, and then drive on to the next challenge....

Welcome aboard and best fo fortune to you with your career.
Roger, thanks for the input!

When I joined it was my dream to pass RASP II or SFAS but now I would just consider earning my tab a miracle.
Get rid of that loser mind set. They are stress fractures. They suck, but it's not the end of the world. There is a difference between being humble, and accepting defeat before you've started. Humility is a necessity, but so is confidence.

Welcome, and good luck with your goals.

Being that you are presently attending IBOLC when were you planning on trying out for Ranger school? When I left the Corps and went Army I spent some time as an Infantry Plt Sgt & 1SGT so my advice is to listen to your Plt Sgt. He has been in that position for a number of years and knows much more than you ever will. I say that because you will only be with the troops for 4 or 5 years and then to BN. Your troops will be watching to see if you are a leader or not so drop that can't make it attitude or they will pick up on it. Ask your Plt Sgt for advice and don't use your rank. As far as stress fractures, they are common as well as bad backs and blisters but you drive on anyway. Tell yourself that if women can make it through you can too.

Get rid of that loser mind set. They are stress fractures. They suck, but it's not the end of the world. There is a difference between being humble, and accepting defeat before you've started. Humility is a necessity, but so is confidence.

Welcome, and good luck with your goals.
Roger. Thank you.

Being that you are presently attending IBOLC when were you planning on trying out for Ranger school? When I left the Corps and went Army I spent some time as an Infantry Plt Sgt & 1SGT so my advice is to listen to your Plt Sgt. He has been in that position for a number of years and knows much more than you ever will. I say that because you will only be with the troops for 4 or 5 years and then to BN. Your troops will be watching to see if you are a leader or not so drop that can't make it attitude or they will pick up on it. Ask your Plt Sgt for advice and don't use your rank. As far as stress fractures, they are common as well as bad backs and blisters but you drive on anyway. Tell yourself that if women can make it through you can too.
Thank you for your input. This is what we are told in IBOLC as well (especially each time when we bitch to cadre about how little we are actually taught).

The pipeline after IBOLC is Airborne and Ranger. As of now, the classes are a bit backlogged so I don't know when I would be attending.

Roger. Thank you.

Thank you for your input. This is what we are told in IBOLC as well (especially each time when we bitch to cadre about how little we are actually taught).

The pipeline after IBOLC is Airborne and Ranger. As of now, the classes are a bit backlogged so I don't know when I would be attending.

Get Healthy and stay in the pipeline. Your current orders have you going to an IBCT, unless you switch orders with someone who's going to an ABCT, follow the path set for you. But to be honest, since you're Infantry and not an Armor Officer, attending Ranger School is a huge block check in that branch. You've probably heard that a ton, but it's the truth.

Hello, I am an Active Duty 2LT 11A. I am currently in IBOLC and I have orders for 10th MTN, 3rd BCT in Ft. Polk.

Prior to joining the Army, I double majored in Computer Engineering and Applied Mathematics with a minor in Physics. I played D1 Rugby before getting a really bad concussion and did the only sensible thing and switched to MMA.

I'm no PT stud and if there is one thing that IBOLC has taught me, it's that I'm incredibly injury prone compared to my peers. When I joined it was my dream to pass RASP II or SFAS but now I would just consider earning my tab a miracle. IBOLC has definitely given me a bit of a reality check.

I'm here to learn. I am looking not just for mentorship from people who have made it in the SOF community, but also for all of the NCOs, SNCOs, and officers who can give me more general advice too.

I did IOBC (IBOLC) ~25 years ago. I'm going to assume you will pass--the only people who didn't in my class failed for character reasons--and suggest that the best thing you can do for your career right now is to pass Ranger School before you get to your first unit. There are probably few times in your life where you will be as fit, motivated, able to go to Ranger School than now, and there will probably never be a better time in terms of career/life timeline.

Do what you have to do to ensure that you're fit, healthy, and as ready as possible. A lot depends on it.

Get Healthy and stay in the pipeline. Your current orders have you going to an IBCT, unless you switch orders with someone who's going to an ABCT, follow the path set for you. But to be honest, since you're Infantry and not an Armor Officer, attending Ranger School is a huge block check in that branch. You've probably heard that a ton, but it's the truth.
Yep, I've definitely been told this.

I did IOBC (IBOLC) ~25 years ago. I'm going to assume you will pass--the only people who didn't in my class failed for character reasons--and suggest that the best thing you can do for your career right now is to pass Ranger School before you get to your first unit. There are probably few times in your life where you will be as fit, motivated, able to go to Ranger School than now, and there will probably never be a better time in terms of career/life timeline.

Do what you have to do to ensure that you're fit, healthy, and as ready as possible. A lot depends on it.
I hope I do. I'm doing everything I can to get back in shape to pass it now. The pass rate out of IBOLC was hovering around 40% until COVID hit. I will only have one shot before they PCS me to my unit. Apparently 5 years ago, they would allow LT's to stay in 2-11 and be sent back to Ranger until the LT gave up or until the gaining unit complained. Those things are out of my control, what I can control of is what shape I arrive to Ranger in and how thoroughly I have studied for Ranger School.

You are absolutely right, the pass rate out of MCCC is much lower. Also, RASP II won't even bother looking at me until I have a tab.

Back