Infection

PB- just from looking at the pictures, it should have been lanced and a drain inserted on first visit .

x2. A lot of primary care ER guys won't I&D... I get calls for simple abscesses all the time... just put a knife in it, for cryin'out loud.

On the hand, unless there is suspicion for tenosynovitis, early I&D is even more important than in other parts of the body.

Baytril has toxic effects in humans, it is not for human use. It has also been banned in poultry due to concerns for cross species resistance. Do not use animal medications!

Human bites are absolutely the worst. Why we have so much bacteria in our mouthes is beyond me. Anyone?

Mostly from retained food. It's a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, the spaces between our teeth. Warm, moist, constant supply of nutrients, etc.

Komodo dragons take advantage of this fact; their toxin is essentially lipopolysaccharide that causes Gram negative sepsis, so potent that it kills in minutes. The toxin is created by the bacteria that grow in their mouth on the rotting bits of flesh in their teeth.

As my ENT colleagues like to say, the mouth is a close second for the dirtiest hole in the body...

My indoor cat got me last year, bit through the thumbnail, right down into a tendon on the palm of my right hand, and twice on my left forefinger. I never let go of her as I was bringing her in the house, dropped her, ran to the kitchen sink and mixed 1 part bleach, 3 parts water and stuck my hands in them. Went to the doctor the next day, 3 days of 1gm Rocephin injection, 10 days antibiotics. Doc couldn't believe after her JUST doing all that I had the nerve to stick my hands in bleach water. LOL

Is the cat still alive?

Back