Input Requested for Study Abroad

Th3 Maelstr0m

Bally-hoosman
Verified Military
Hey all,

I have a pretty awesome opportunity to apply for a Boren scholarship, which pays for a year of studying abroad to an area critical to U.S. security. While there, I learn arabic. The stipulation is that once I get my degree, I serve in the federal government, which is exactly what I want to do anyways. I get to pick either a year in one location or 2 locations where I spend 6 months in each. Here are the locations I am able to choose from:
  • Egypt
  • Jordan
  • Kuwait
  • Lebanon
  • Oman
  • Saudi Arabia
  • UAE
  • Egypt
I'm leaning to either Egypt and/or Saudi Arabia. If you had this kind of opportunity, what 2 countries would you pick & why? Thanks for any input.Edit: I threw this in the modern conflict section b/c my choice will be based on what countries have the biggest influence in the middle east & what ones will benefit me the most when applying to federal agencies. Thanks again. Semper.

I would personally pass on Egypt if the outlook still remains the same. They are already starting by unleashing hell on the Coptics out there, which could potentially be a sign of more to come lol

Ya, I was thinking the same. They were offering Pakistan, but that got taken off the list due to the current climate out there. Thanks for input!

Jordan for a 12 month tour hands down. Awesome job on the Boren Scholarship!!!

Egyptian and Saudi dialects are too different. I would recommend trying to master one and then branch out from there. You'll end up watching Egytian movies anyway.

Watch out for the Chechens and Cirkassians in Jordan (they look just like us).

Jordan for a 12 month tour hands down. Awesome job on the Boren Scholarship!!!

Egyptian and Saudi dialects are too different. I would recommend trying to master one and then branch out from there. You'll end up watching Egytian movies anyway.

Watch out for the Chechens and Cirkassians in Jordan (they look just like us).

Thanks! I haven't gotten the Boren Scholarship yet- just going through the application process right now. I'm told I have a 1 in 6 chance, but I'm hoping they take into consideration my military service, GPA, & letters of recommendation. I've also taken 2 semesters of Arabic & Islamic Civ. Next semester I'm taking Modern Middle East & counterinsurgency, then Modern Terrorism. Fingers crossed!

Beirut has some nice study abroad programs. I guess it depends on which dialect you're interested in.

I'd say Jordan or Lebanon. I've personally heard good things about studying abroad in Lebanon.

Beirut is a great place to visit but hard to live as an American. The Levantine you learn in Jordan will work over in Leb: definitely worth the visit but will be too dangerous after Iran gets Fukashima'd by the Izzys.

I did a semester in Jordan. Loved it. Traveled to both Egypt and Lebanon on holidays, and can say that I was glad I chose Jordan for my semester abroad. Lebanon was awesome and would have been my second choice for the semester abroad. There are security concerns in any of the countries on your list. Also, the Jordanian dialect is pretty universal, from my experience, not so with some of the Gulf dialects.

That's my two cents. If you'd like more specific information about Jordan, PM me.

I did a semester in Jordan. Loved it. Traveled to both Egypt and Lebanon on holidays, and can say that I was glad I chose Jordan for my semester abroad. Lebanon was awesome and would have been my second choice for the semester abroad. There are security concerns in any of the countries on your list. Also, the Jordanian dialect is pretty universal, from my experience, not so with some of the Gulf dialects.

That's my two cents. If you'd like more specific information about Jordan, PM me.

I'd love to hear more about Jordan. It may be my technological retardation, but your profile won't allow me to PM you. Thanks again!

Their queen is hot too. Sorry Cback, I'm talking about a chick and not a dude dressed like a chick.

Damn, I bet the GID is now on to me.

Jordan is probably the most stable and the most moderate of all of them. It would make a good base of operations for travel to the rest of the Mid East, without the worry that your school is going to start rioting and you'll lose that hot chiick's number in the process.

Thanks for the input all. I spoke with a few people familiar with the Boren scholarship & have decided to do 2 countries. (If I get it) I'll spend the fall semester in Morocco learning modern standard arabic, geostrategic importance of Morocco in international relations, peace & conflict resolution, & Islamic society & politics.
Then I'll head over to Jordan. In the spring semester I'll continue arabic classes, along with courses on arab-israeli politics, the U.S. & the middle east, & a class on Islam. I'll stay there for a summer semester focused on arabic.
From what everyone is telling me, they seem pretty confident I'll get the Boren because I have experience in the middle east, I've taken a few semester of Arabic, & I have multiple classes on the middle east/Islam.
All I have left is to write an essay on the importance of Morocco & Jordan in U.S. national security. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Thanks for the input all. I spoke with a few people familiar with the Boren scholarship & have decided to do 2 countries. (If I get it) I'll spend the fall semester in Morocco learning modern standard arabic, geostrategic importance of Morocco in international relations, peace & conflict resolution, & Islamic society & politics.
Then I'll head over to Jordan. In the spring semester I'll continue arabic classes, along with courses on arab-israeli politics, the U.S. & the middle east, & a class on Islam.
From what everyone is telling me, they seem pretty confident I'll get the Boren because I have experience in the middle east, I've taken a few semester of Arabic, & I have multiple classes on the middle east/Islam.
All I have left is to write an essay on the importance of Morocco & Jordan in U.S. national security. Thanks again for everyone's input!

Importance of Morocco...hmmm... Well, they gave us Morocco Mole and Secret Squirel!
Best of luck and hope you get selected.

Importance of Morocco...hmmm... Well, they gave us Morocco Mole and Secret Squirel!
Best of luck and hope you get selected.

Thanks! The lady mentioned Morocco would be a good supplement because 1) the courses they provide are excellent, & 2) relations with U.S. & Europe
She did recommend I emphasize Jordan more in both my essay & in how much time I spend there. I'll be spending the summer semester there as well as the spring. The summer will be dedicated entirely to improving my language proficiency.

Back