Input Requested for Study Abroad

Sorry to necro post, but I promised to keep everyone posted, & I just got word this morning that I was awarded the Boren Scholarship! I'll be leaving for Jordan in the fall & spending an academic year there learning Arabic & taking courses on the middle east. After I get my bachelor's, I'll have to fulfill the NSEP Service Requirement, which "stipulates that an award recipient work in the Federal Government in a position with national security responsibilities. The Departments of Defense, Homeland Security, State, or any element of the Intelligence Community are priority agencies."

http://borenawards.org/boren_scholars_service.html

I'm pretty stoked, since this will most certainly beef up my grad school application. Thanks for all the input, advise, & wisdom. It was much appreciated.

Good work. You changed your mind over a Jordan/Morocco mix?

The lady that advised doing Morocco/Jordan gave me bum scoop. I attended a video conference with the Boren folks & they said they prefer for the student to stay in one location. That's fine with me, since I'll have Dec 20- mid Feb off, so as a Christmas present to myself I'll galavant around the area. Part of the study abroad program includes visiting the the Dead Sea, Jerash, Aqaba, Petra, Wadi Rum, & Ghor al-Mazra's, so during the Christmas break I'm hoping to visit Israel & do some hiking around there.

Israel visit with a Jordanian visa? Good luck with that. IF you get approved, you'll get your first introduction to "secondary" screening. :thumbsup:

It was the opposite way I had problems- Israeli stamp trying to get into Jordan. That was the first time I had to bribe someone.

I brought that up with the study abroad people. According to them Israel will accept the Jordanian visa on my passport, but I may spend some extra time being questioned. Jordan & Egypt are the only Arab state that will accept a passport with a Israeli visa, though because I plan on visiting other Arab states that do not accept the Israeli stamp, there is some extra paperwork I can do in Israel to avoid getting their stamp on my passport:

Important note for tourists continuing from Israel on to Arab countries (except Egypt and Jordan): It is recommended that you request that an Israeli stamp does not appear on your passport. You must notify the clerk of your request before your documents are stamped.
As of July 3, 2008, an official decision has been made that will no longer require entry stamps on foreign passports. In such cases, you must fill out form 17L including your personal details, and that form shall be stamped by passport control upon entry/exit.
The form 17L will not be collected upon exit as it is necessary for the collection of tax refunds and proof of legal entry.
http://www.goisrael.com/Tourism_Eng/Tourist Information/Planning your trip/Pages/Visa.aspx

Could prove to be a very good summer for learning and life experience!
Ya I just read something about that this morning. hopefully it doesn't hinder anything. Worst case scenario, I'm stuck in Morocco. It would make for a great Senior Thesis paper though!

Congratulations man! I am just finishing up a semester of studying abroad in Jordan. It was certainly an interesting few months. If you have any questions about studying here, I'd be happy to answer them. Two of my friends are Boren scholars here and they have really enjoyed their experience.

Congratulations man! I am just finishing up a semester of studying abroad in Jordan. It was certainly an interesting few months. If you have any questions about studying here, I'd be happy to answer them. Two of my friends are Boren scholars here and they have really enjoyed their experience.

Where in Jordan did you study, & with what program? I'm going to Al-Ahliyya Amman University with ISA.

Back