Israel and Iran

So for whatever reason we got the Israelis to delay their invasion so that we could deploy 12 Air Defense "systems"? What does that even mean? Does that mean 12 batteries? Or like 12 launchers? Also not sure how long Bibi can hold from going in considering Hamas is still launching hundred of rockets a day. You'd think they'd run out or something.

Israel Agrees to Delay Invasion of Gaza So U.S. Can Rush Missile Defenses to Region

So for whatever reason we got the Israelis to delay their invasion so that we could deploy 12 Air Defense "systems"? What does that even mean? Does that mean 12 batteries? Or like 12 launchers? Also not sure how long Bibi can hold from going in considering Hamas is still launching hundred of rockets a day. You'd think they'd run out or something.

Israel Agrees to Delay Invasion of Gaza So U.S. Can Rush Missile Defenses to Region

Been awhile since I've spoken to Patriot bubbas, but those are very HD/LD systems, so one could also include C-RAMs in those 12. The Patriot community already had a high OPTEMPO prior to this mess, so sending 12 batteries would basically wipe out any reserve in our country. I'd guess a mix of Patriot and C-RAM batteries, but this administration can't think past its nose, so who knows what crippling and stupid decision it made.

I think earlier in this thread there was a post about the rockets used by Hamas. They are little more than random pipe with basic chemicals as a propellant. Very crude. In theory, you don't even need to pack them with explosives, just launch a bunch to saturate Israel's defenses and hit them with "live" rockets later.

The pipe used by the rockets, all of the materials, could easily be classified as "civilian infrastructure and imported. Hamas could have stockpiled this stuff for years...bought and paid for by Western aid money.

Been awhile since I've spoken to Patriot bubbas, but those are very HD/LD systems, so one could also include C-RAMs in those 12. The Patriot community already had a high OPTEMPO prior to this mess, so sending 12 batteries would basically wipe out any reserve in our country. I'd guess a mix of Patriot and C-RAM batteries, but this administration can't think past its nose, so who knows what crippling and stupid decision it made.

I think earlier in this thread there was a post about the rockets used by Hamas. They are little more than random pipe with basic chemicals as a propellant. Very crude. In theory, you don't even need to pack them with explosives, just launch a bunch to saturate Israel's defenses and hit them with "live" rockets later.

The pipe used by the rockets, all of the materials, could easily be classified as "civilian infrastructure and imported. Hamas could have stockpiled this stuff for years...bought and paid for by Western aid money.
There's been a bunch of videos out there of UN laid water pipes almost immediately dug up by Hamas. Like their infrastructure is trash because Hamas and PIJ are doing that!

The media carries so much water for Hamas right now. Has Israel really become what the Republican party is? A country that has no reach across social institutions and everything about them is racist?

Shouldn't be a huge surprise. It's a propaganda war, has been from the beginning. And public opinion has always been a tool of war. Hamas could never win militarily and the knew that going in. The brutality was to get the response from the Israelis Hamas wanted. Now the propaganda starts--the pictures of dead children and blown-up hospitals and all that noise. Save for the occasional provocation, Hamas hides in their holes. A year (or so) after Israel is forced stop their assault, Hamas pops up and does it again. Pretty standard insurgency stuff.

Of course, Israel knows it, too, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see how long they can handle the political pressure and what they can accomplish with that time.

Edit to add: I was actually impressed by Mr. Kirby's response, too; I had mainly cued to the press carrying the water on Hamas part because it is just so depressingly typical.

I went to Auschwitz today. You prepare yourself mentally for it, but there’s things there that maybe you didn’t know about, such as a room about a 100’ long x 15’ wide X 6’ tall of hair. It’s hard not to be moved.

Kids ruin the shit out of it though. Several times kids were laughing and giggling as we moved through our tour. It was highly disrespectful.

I went to Auschwitz today. You prepare yourself mentally for it, but there’s things there that maybe you didn’t know about, such as a room about a 100’ long x 15’ wide X 6’ tall of hair. It’s hard not to be moved.

Kids ruin the shit out of it though. Several times kids were laughing and giggling as we moved through our tour. It was highly disrespectful.

I went to the Holocaust museum at 14, it was terrible, things are still seared in my brain. The resources spent on such depravity continues to make me sick to my stomach. I was with some others that may have giggled but none of them did, they were all moved as much as I was. I think field trips to places like that or the Museum of Tolerance are an extreme imperative to education especially today.

_________

We talked about intel failures and such, I'm not sure there was much of a failure considering the target list Shin Bet and IA Intel had and things like this:

The cost of building this complex had to be ridiculous.

It's hard to strike stockpiles of munitions when the ammo dumps are under schools and hospitals. The failure was obviously in not knowing when it was coming otherwise the force posture in the South of the country would have been significantly different. Yet even if they were prepared to stop the territory seizures it would have been the status quo of massive rocket barrages and counter strikes that happen every other year or so. But the depravity that occurred was different, and meant to be different.

I blame the adults with them more than I do the kids. Kids are morons and don’t know better until they’re taught, it’s the adults who didn’t prep the kids ahead of time and let this happen.

My great grandfather survived that place, others in my bloodline did not, I'm told. Others were murdered in Treblinka, I'm told.

When my great grandfather immigrated to the US, he settled in Philly, north philly to be exact.

He was a cobbler. When not in his shop, he would pace, back and forth is his tiny rose garden, head down, hands behind his back.

My father told me, he never spoke of it, never spoke much at all.

I'll tell you this. As a jew, the slaughter that occurred in Israel, sickens me, makes me irate. Should we be there as the US? No, in my opinion, let the IDF murder all who were/are involved.

I'll also say this.

I'll draw blood to prevent anyone from getting on box cars, be it from foreign or domestic scum.

I blame the adults with them more than I do the kids. Kids are morons and don’t know better until they’re taught, it’s the adults who didn’t prep the kids ahead of time and let this happen.

I can't tell you how many videos I've seen of disrespectful cunts at these places. Adults taking selfish are the worst.

It's a very small world apparently; I stopped in on the 0830 English speaking tour while traveling between duty locations.

It's a heavy place to process, and if I had been there as a 11-14 year old kid (which a bunch of the Polish ones looked to be) I'd probably have been one of those idiots goofing off, simply because it's so upsetting to listen to the events that took place.

1. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says Israel's ground operation in Gaza marks the "second stage" of what he says will be a "long and difficult" war with Hamas
  2. Speaking in a televised address, he confirms Israeli commanders are deployed "all over the Gaza Strip" as heavy bombing continues
  3. Leaflets have been dropped over Gaza City warning residents the area is now a "battlefield" and they must leave for the south
  4. Civilians in Gaza remain cut off from the outside world, because phone lines and the internet are down for most people
  5. The White House said Israel had the right to "take the fight to Hamas"
Kinda surprised by the WH statement....in a good way.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-middle-east-67246761

Back