Israel and Iran

It would serve the interests of Hamas to deceive the Israelis into believing, for instance, that this was an arms shipment—or a HVT— disguised as an aid convoy. If I was in Hamas leadership, I’d use every resource I could to fool my enemy into killing the innocent.
Hamas have not been vocal at all post event. If it’s discovered that it was something along that path it will be dismissed as Zionist lies.

Absolutely. And yet Iran has to do something to maintain its credibility as a regional power. I suspect it’ll be more symbolic than destructive.
Agree. Their options are somewhat limited if they want to overtly let it be known they've responded.

I suspect the response will be more likely be more asymmetrical/terrorism in nature, increased support for attacks against IDF, etc.

That is indeed interesting. I'm not sure how much I agree with it, but it's interesting.

Another thing to consider is whether the Israelis might be thinking that those units might be needed elsewhere, for example along their northern border.

This’ll calm the waters…

Three sons of Hamas leader Haniyeh killed in Israeli airstrike

CAIRO, April 10 (Reuters) - Three sons of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh were killed in an Israeli airstrike in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, the Palestinian Islamist group and Haniyeh's family said.

The Israeli military confirmed carrying out the attack, describing the three sons as operatives in the Hamas armed wing.

The three sons - Hazem, Amir and Mohammad - were killed when the car they were driving in was bombed in Gaza's Al-Shati camp, Hamas said. Four of Haniyeh's grandchildren, three girls and a boy, were also killed in the attack, Hamas said.

Back