John Wick - (NO spoilers)

That compressed ready position as he was walking up to the door..
Kinda hard to accurately engage someone at close range coming in the door... also seems kinda easy to grab the barrel and fuck with your sight picture... but hey, might as well keep that high port you used while doing boat ops for everyday use.

I'm excited for the third installment, I watched both JW1 and JW2 and enjoyed them. It looks like he's putting in the work required to make a decent third installment. But we can only know for sure when it hits the theaters.

Kinda hard to accurately engage someone at close range coming in the door... also seems kinda easy to grab the barrel and fuck with your sight picture... but hey, might as well keep that high port you used while doing boat ops for everyday use.

I always wondered wtf. Explanation at 2:00 mark.

Definitely a difference between how we do CQB, so weird seeing dudes do high port... cool video and good on Keanu for putting in the time to look legit.
I’m sorry what is high port ? Do Seals train to clear rooms differently?

No pieing the room, took path of least resistance, not derailing the thread to talk Green vs. blue tactics. Just interesting to see.

High port aka High Ready was very prominent in the Army up until about 15 years ago. Was still being taught when I went through OSUT. Pretty sure it's still in the rifle marksmanship FM.

Threshold clearing (pieing the room from the door way) was actually something I learned from a former Ranger/JSOC guy. Also learned rolling Y formation for long hallways from the same dude. The muzzle strike stuff is IDF KRAV MAGA stuff...

ETA: As for accuracy with the "collapsed" high ready, it's really not too hard to be accurate at contact range. I'm not saying that it's the best or even the right way, just that it's been around for a very long time and has worked. I actually prefer high ready when doing IMT and Battle drills. CQB I've done both and it just depends where I am in the stack or what area I am covering.

Last edited:
What's easier?
Bringing the barrel down if someone has grabbed it? or bringing the barrel up if someone has grabbed it?
That was the why we do high port explanation I was given.

Someone grabbing the muzzle is really a non issue, all you have to do pull back, as their arms extend, the muzzle will level into their torso and you fire. If you are wrapped up and grappling, it won't matter if your weapon is high or low ready, because you are grappling, time for secondary weapons or your buddy to come in and canoe your opponent.

Bottom line, where low ready beats high ready is shot times. You can get a faster shot off from a low ready position (do to stock being already in the pocket of the shoulder). Where high ready beats out low ready is in maneuverability, getting in and out of prone/kneeling, working around barricades, tight spaces, etc.

Last edited:
For the past 30 years I have been using the low ready...so it is ingrained in me and has become very natural. It would be hard to learn high ready...but, if I'm in a stack, I would rather have the guy behind me at the low ready....just saying.

But, to be fair...its all about the training....the above is just my personal experience and preference.

As far as someone grabbing the barrel...either rip it back, punch it into their chest as a strike, or shoot them off. It can happen at low ready or high ready.

Last edited:
For the past 30 years I have been using the low ready...so it is ingrained in me and has become very natural. It would be hard to learn high ready...but, if I'm in a stack, I would rather have the guy behind me at the low ready....just saying.

But, to be fair...its all about the training....the above is just my personal experience and preference.

As far as someone grabbing the barrel...either rip it back, punch it into their chest as a strike, or shoot them off. It can happen at low ready or high ready.

I wouldn't stack up with someone I didn't trust... ;-)

Back