Las Vegas Shooting

We're up to 59 dead.

What surprises me is that over 24 hours later we still don't have a motive. This was heavily planned, bu there's no obvious note or video explaining "why?"

Because you can't just "explain" crazy, that's why. People do shit all the time without warning or any history to leave behind - guy killed himself. What we know is he had a pretty big stockpile built up, he was a high rolling gambler, and he had some level of wealth. I'm confident the only prevention mishaps that occurred as the events transpired resonate with the security lead of the venue and those who noticed this guy in the past few-weeks-to-minutes leading up to the event.

Almost always - we find people who had a "gut" feeling or whatever.

I tickles me that the gun advocates & gun haters are at the podium about this - never do we remind citizens longer than the honeymoon phase that vigilance, awareness, and reassessment at all times prevents this shit. I don't give a shit about guns or the second amendment - go whichever way you want with that - but I know that simply removing guns or 32nd floors of hotel rooms doesn't prevent evil-doers from preying on soft targets. It might even inspire them to go about it another method, perhaps chemical/poison or a reemergence of explosives.. or whatever else they can be creative with.

Truly saddens me.

I'm a believer in many of the things Dr. Albert Schweitzer wrote about the value of life. We're no longer teaching that at the basic level.

Some people will connect that to a lack of godliness in our society but I'm not sure you have to purely connect his teachings to God and Christ although he was a Christian. His writings based on his experience as a doctor in Africa are more prevalent as we move forward.

But if I had a choice, give me more Liberty.

I'm a believer in many of the things Dr. Albert Schweitzer wrote about the value of life. We're no longer teaching that at the basic level.

Some people will connect that to a lack of godliness in our society but I'm not sure you have to purely connect his teachings to God and Christ although he was a Christian. His writings based on his experience as a doctor in Africa are more prevalent as we move forward.

But if I had a choice, give me more Liberty.

Without pushing the thread away from the topic:
I subscribe to the notion of moral objectivity and believe the more one interacts with their environment, the increased likelihood said morality will be on par with an acceptable standard determined by the environment not restricted by religion. Many western-style civilizations endured periods of reflective-equilibrium which produced much of the "isms" we know historically (Racism, Feminism, etc..) as well as movements.

I'm sure his girlfriend, partner, or whatever she was has many of the answers as to his motive. I'd also hazard a guess that authorities either have or are in the process of obtaining those answers from her, even if they haven't shared this publicly. The reported transfer of $100k to the Philippines is interesting.

They blew up the Oklahoma Federal building with a fucking fertilizer bomb. People bent on killing will always find a way.

Motive sometimes is in the guy's head. Hates the world, wants to take as many with him as he can. Let's his bullets be his manifesto and kills himself painlessly to cheat the cops out of gunning him down.

Very few ways to anticipate or defend against the silent grey man who commits nothing to paper or social media and who is guided by nothing but his malevolent will.

Without pushing the thread away from the topic:
I subscribe to the notion of moral objectivity and believe the more one interacts with their environment, the increased likelihood said morality will be on par with an acceptable standard determined by the environment not restricted by religion. Many western-style civilizations endured periods of reflective-equilibrium which produced much of the "isms" we know historically (Racism, Feminism, etc..) as well as movements.

So, what's your "push" here? That the alleged shooter should have interacted with his environment more, therefore soaking up it's morality and making it less likely he would have unloaded into that crowd?

So, what's your "push" here? That the alleged shooter should have interacted with his environment more, therefore soaking up it's morality and making it less likely he would have unloaded into that crowd?
No, it was a side note - assholes don't necessarily need a reason to act like assholes, that's why they're assholes.

I'm sure his girlfriend, partner, or whatever she was has many of the answers as to his motive. I'd also hazard a guess that authorities either have or are in the process of obtaining those answers from her, even if they haven't shared this publicly. The reported transfer of $100k to the Philippines is interesting.
I didn't know of the funds transfer, but the info here is she is Australian & was OS at the time. There is a suspicion that he used her ID to book the room.

Seriously?

Seriously?

Why are you insisting (for the second time now) on inserting a gun control conversation into this thread?

I’ve already asked once, and now once again.
There is a whole thread dedicated to gun control. Have at it, but please keep this thread specific to the topic; not the politics of it.

United States & Gun Control discussion.

CBS VP (legal) fired for social media comments...people are pretty stupid on social media, you would think a educated professional would stop and think before posting.....especially a lawyer for the company.

"CBS has parted ways with one of the company’s top lawyers after she said she was “not even sympathetic” to victims of the Las Vegas shooting because “country music fans often are Republican,” when discussing the mass shooting that unfolded in Las Vegas late Sunday night."

CBS fires vice president who said Vegas victims didn't deserve sympathy because country music fans 'often are Republican'

CBS fires VP for writing ‘Republican gun toters’ killed in Las Vegas don’t deserve sympathy

Seriously?

Why are you insisting (for the second time now) on inserting a gun control conversation into this thread?

I’ve already asked once, and now once again.
There is a whole thread dedicated to gun control. Have at it, but please keep this thread specific to the topic; not the politics of it.

United States & Gun Control discussion.

To clarify, it's not about insisting, it was that at the time it was in a Vegas related article. And therefor the update because it was Vegas related. However, I'll reset the reticle, no problem.

I can't seem to find the original article on LAT's website: Police Still Have Not Discovered A Motive For Las Vegas Shooting

Because T&P changes titles of what they repost.

Obvious inaccuracies but good info. Most logical information for me anyways until all the investigation is complete.

Vegas shooter wired $100,000 to girlfriend's home country last week

Key Points are:

Las Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock wired $100,000 to an account in his live-in girlfriend’s home country, the Philippines, in the week before he unleashed the worst mass shooting in modern U.S. history, according to multiple senior law enforcement officials.

And he's a Whale:
Paddock had "the highest status" at Caesars Entertainment properties in Las Vegas, a source close to the investigation told NBC News.

Another little bit of good that gets missed in all the bad:
John Rich of the country music duo Big and Rich handed his weapon to an off duty officer from Minneapolis. The officer then held point at the front door to the Redneck Riviera for two hours placing himself between the guests and whatever would come through the door.
The Redneck Riviera is owned by Rich and is a popular local country hangout.
John Rich, of Big & Rich, performed at the Route 91 Harvest Festival shortly before shots rang out at the show.
The country star was hanging out at the Redneck Riveria (sic) bar, which he owns, after his performance when the crowd at the festival was barraged with bullets.
The gun owner gave his weapon to an off-duty police officer.
Rich told Fox News on Monday, "I had a Minneapolis police officer off-duty hanging out. He came up to me and he showed me his badge and he says, 'I'm officer... and I am not armed for the first time ever I can't believe it. Are you armed? I said, 'Yes sir, I am armed.' I have my concealed weapons permit and I said, 'Yes, I am armed.' He said, 'Can I have your firearm so I can hold point on this front door?'
Country music's John Rich gave his gun to a police officer during Las Vegas shooting

Last edited:
That bank transfer isn't neccessarily important. If he's been making donations for a long time it might not be. If it's a one-off then yeah, time to look into it.

I think the media is (deliberately) conflating ‘injured’ with ‘injured by gunfire’. Of the 500 or so injured, I’m sure many were injured by other means. That doesn’t displace blame, but it does put things in perspective.

Articles were mentioning that a lot of people were injured in the stampede after the gunshots started. Still attributable to the shooter; but I understand what you're saying, and agree.

All has been stated. There are different levels of MCIs (mascals). Dispatch knows the levels per protocol and sends MICUs, fire dept, placed medevacs on stand by, places county in code red status, pulls from different end of county or from out of area. In hospital have disaster protocols also. The term ICS or incident command system is the structure we would operate from, utilizing typical civ EMS, fire protocols, in cases like this, due to the injuries, obvious combat medicine protocols would be used. This though, this is beyond many of us have ever seen except for Veterans that were in the shit, ambush from height into crowd. This is a once in lifetime event for most if not all providers. The last MCI I was involved in, started off as EMS ops part of ICS was a Valentines day crash on the P.A. Turnpike, 15 miles long, 70 green tages, 10 red tages, 25 yellow. This even is sickening, like all others. I read that one fire medic from Clarke County pronounced 20, yeah, 20 vics dead himself. There are MCI protocols to allow for this. Circulation, airway / breathing and mental status. If none, BLACK tag, move on to those you can salvage, like in combat. I have been involved in making these judgements and not a day goes by that I wonder of I made the right choice on walking over a dead teenager on I95 to salvage another one.....

M.
Fire department cannot declare someone dead only a physician can in nevada

Back