Las Vegas Shooting

Dame; glad your safe stay that way.

Thoughts.

There may be more similarities/dissimilarities to Charlie Whitman/UT shooting than may immediately come to mind............

If you went through Marine Boot at Dago in the 70's you heard a LOT about that fracas. Whitman had a rifle and knew how to use. This guy did not. I'm pretty certain was a spray and pray attack. If the shooter had been trained on a level as Whitman... it would of been a LOT worse.

I had never heard of bump stock before Monday, but after listening to a variety of Vegas videos and and listening to bump stock video's on YT, it makes sense now. The cyclic was just not right. My son and I went to a MG shoot in May. Everything from .22 up to a Mountain Howitzer and AAA.

It would appear the shooter died from eating a Colt sandwich. Which will make the autopsy harder. Since there has been so little connecting him to actions in the past and a family history of violence (Dad)... there may be something there. I believe the autopsy may show something neurologically wrong (tumor) similar to what Whitman had.

Departing from the Whitman scenario... The whole thing of the girlfriend baling out OCONUS is a little odd.... Then you throw in the wire transfers the shooter made..... I don't believe in coincidence.

The whole Phillipines angle also perks up spidy senses. PI has had a long term problem with radical Islam. Going back to the 70's. Now... fast forward to the 90's... a guy by name of Terry Nichols marries a PI mail order bride. Her family then turns out to have connections with Abu Sayyaf... Of course all of this is dismissed after McVeighs arrest and conviction. Nichols wife returned to PI after his arrest. So the shooter wires $100K to PI?

I think the media is (deliberately) conflating ‘injured’ with ‘injured by gunfire’. Of the 500 or so injured, I’m sure many were injured by other means. That doesn’t displace blame, but it does put things in perspective.

Totally agree. One of the doctors interviewed said the ingureies ranged from bullet wounds to sprained ankles.

I'm not buying the one shooter story. Been in a few gun rights, inside the city, understand echoes and the bouncing of sounds, etc. It's pretty clear in a few videos I've matched and then just listened to, that there was semi-auto fire and full auto fire happening at the same time. The rate of fire seems a bit much, possibly drum mags and the multiple rifles aspects, but, hmmmm, something just don't seem right with the story line.

Anyway, really tragic situation, and this will have a very negative impact on many cities for years to come. I also see some gun control coming, I think its pretty inevitable after this and the nightclub incident in FL.

RIP to the dead, and a speedy recovery to all wounded.

I'm not buying the one shooter story. Been in a few gun rights, inside the city, understand echoes and the bouncing of sounds, etc. It's pretty clear in a few videos I've matched and then just listened to, that there was semi-auto fire and full auto fire happening at the same time. The rate of fire seems a bit much, possibly drum mags and the multiple rifles aspects, but, hmmmm, something just don't seem right with the story line.

Anyway, really tragic situation, and this will have a very negative impact on many cities for years to come. I also see some gun control coming, I think its pretty inevitable after this and the nightclub incident in FL.

It sounds like the cops returned fire, which could explain any extra sounds. I'd posit you'd need more evidence than that to say, with confidence, that there was another shooter.

Fire department cannot declare someone dead only a physician can in nevada

What about an MCI? In P.A. we required medcomm to sign off also but I wonder, how would an MCI of this scale affect the commands lines. A medic cannot stop to contact medcomm for every black tag. How does that work for you guys doc?

M.

What about an MCI? In P.A. we required medcomm to sign off also but I wonder, how would an MCI of this scale affect the commands lines. A medic cannot stop to contact medcomm for every black tag. How does that work for you guys doc?

M.
I think is varied by county. Here is the Washoe County (Reno) MCI plan. I can see if RP can ask a Range buddie who is a supervisor for REMSA.

https://www.washoecounty.us/health/files/emergency-medical-services/mcip-revised-12-13-13.pdf

Thoughts.

There may be more similarities/dissimilarities to Charlie Whitman/UT shooting than may immediately come to mind............

If you went through Marine Boot at Dago in the 70's you heard a LOT about that fracas. Whitman had a rifle and knew how to use. This guy did not. I'm pretty certain was a spray and pray attack. If the shooter had been trained on a level as Whitman... it would of been a LOT worse.

I had never heard of bump stock before Monday, but after listening to a variety of Vegas videos and and listening to bump stock video's on YT, it makes sense now. The cyclic was just not right. My son and I went to a MG shoot in May. Everything from .22 up to a Mountain Howitzer and AAA.

It would appear the shooter died from eating a Colt sandwich. Which will make the autopsy harder. Since there has been so little connecting him to actions in the past and a family history of violence (Dad)... there may be something there. I believe the autopsy may show something neurologically wrong (tumor) similar to what Whitman had.

Departing from the Whitman scenario... The whole thing of the girlfriend baling out OCONUS is a little odd.... Then you throw in the wire transfers the shooter made..... I don't believe in coincidence.

The whole Phillipines angle also perks up spidy senses. PI has had a long term problem with radical Islam. Going back to the 70's. Now... fast forward to the 90's... a guy by name of Terry Nichols marries a PI mail order bride. Her family then turns out to have connections with Abu Sayyaf... Of course all of this is dismissed after McVeighs arrest and conviction. Nichols wife returned to PI after his arrest. So the shooter wires $100K to PI?

He was a whale on a loosing streak & I doubt the IS connection in the PI. Its'media shit. But Kudos, as this is the first mention of that problem there. This is a discussion for another discussion thread as the Islamist revolutionary context has been going on for some time, particularly in Indonesia & has cultural undertones .

Be cautious of buying into the "conspiracy theory" stuff circulating the internet. Sometimes a nut is just a nut.

The one I am currently seeing 'everywhere' is the alleged muzzle flashes coming from the 4th floor. That has already been debunked as a known light source and is seen on multiple cameras flashing hours prior to the concert. None the less....people who should know better are dedicating their Facebook pages to this garbage.

Can you link these videos? The ones I heard sounded just fine. I assumed extra-large capacity magazines and incorrectly guessed that they were semi-autos illegally-modified (didn't think the bump-stock option really caught on in the market) but definitely was good with the notion of a single shooter.

M.

All of the MCI protocols I have worked under have any qualified medical responder (defined as EMS, FF (because they are CPR certified and in most cases FR or EMT certified), and LE (likewise with certs) can declare dead people dead via black tag status without input from a medical authority.

In the systems in which I worked, all in NC, in standard situations, medics could "call" codes and declare death given a listed set of criteria.

And this state-by-state disparity is why there will be no monumental growth of EMS as a profession, but that's a thread for another day.....

Here's an item I'd like to see some official clarification on: the timeline from when shooting began/reported until police breached the shooters room. Yesterday and Monday, numerous places reported that it took 72 minutes before LVPD SWAT entered his room. I don't believe that can be accurate. Does anyone have better info on that timeline?

Thoughts.

Agree on your assessment of skill re Whitman. He didn't have the target rich environment the LV shooter had, and there was more cover available to the Texas victims. Nor did Whitman have full auto IIRC.

Here's an item I'd like to see some official clarification on: the timeline from when shooting began/reported until police breached the shooters room. Yesterday and Monday, numerous places reported that it took 72 minutes before LVPD SWAT entered his room. I don't believe that can be accurate. Does anyone have better info on that timeline?

As of this morning, major media (Fox, CNN, etc.) is saying that it took 7-15 minutes.

For the record, I don't choose to find my info via mainstream media, but it is everywhere around me at work.

Back