Las Vegas Shooting

Maybe it was a quck-reference guide for that vibrator he has on the table

Or a tip for Housekeepeen...

Imagine her surprise.

aca8d025ff71ebdbb0aa1b82b5dbc000.jpg

Too soon?

Based on the timeline shared by the Clark County Sheriff yesterday, it seems clear the actions of the hotel security guard directly lead to the conclusion of the assault/caused the shooter to take his own life. The security guard approached the door and, although he was shot through the door, my guess is the shooter didn't distinguish him from an actual police officer on his camera. He felt law enforcement was now closing in and decided to end it.

I am not buying the "he acted alone" story and it seems like the concert may have been a target of opportunity. With bullet impacts found on her fuel tanks, 610 metres away with clear line of sight.

Las Vegas killer had ‘deadlier target’

I think that it shows that he had very little training or understanding of what he was doing other than shooting into a large crowd. Shooting a tank full of jet fuel from 600+ meters away is extremely unlikely to cause an explosion. Jet Fuel isn't particularly flammable. And the fuel air mixture required for combustion is very high.

“A machine gun is not going to blow up a tank of fuel,” Boyd said. “Jet fuel itself sitting there in a big wet pile is very hard to ignite. You have to be a very amateur terrorist to think anything like that.”

Las Vegas Strip shooter targeted aviation fuel tanks, source says

I think it's totally plausible that he did this by himself. It would seem he was a fairly smart guy. He was an accountant, so, using the stereotype, he was probably fairly anal/meticulous. He clearly put some thought and planning into things but, as @TLDR20 stated, I don't see anything he did requiring a terrific amount of skill. When it came to implementing the plan, he simply fired full auto into a large, relatively captive target; not a particularly difficult skill to acquire. And, it would appear, he didn't plan to get out alive (if he had done so, that would've been more impressive). In a nutshell, his plan simply appeared to be this: keep firing on the crowd until law enforcement knocks on the door.

I think it's totally plausible that he did this by himself. It would seem he was a fairly smart guy. He was an accountant, so, using the stereotype, he was probably fairly anal/meticulous. He clearly put some thought and planning into things but, as @TLDR20 stated, I don't see anything he did requiring a terrific amount of skill. When it came to implementing the plan, he simply fired full auto into a large, relatively captive target; not a particularly difficult skill to acquire. And, it would appear, he didn't plan to get out alive (if he had done so, that would've been more impressive). In a nutshell, his plan simply appeared to be this: keep firing on the crowd until law enforcement knocks on the door.

Slightly disagree, but with reservation. He scoped multiple venues, even purchased rooms for a similar event in Chicago for which he never ended up attending (previous to Vegas). I believe he planned on escaping and naturally, lost his tactical mindset on time - early warning (security guard mishap) - and target engagement.

I'm really confused by the extent of the arsenal he had up there, for such an intelligent guy, he had a seemingly insane amount of ammunition and weapons scattered about without logic in odd parts of the room. Possible simple/natural tactical oversight? He was shooting on platforms though I assume rather than just holding the rifle - I heard discussion on the glass being a certain rating and up to 800lbs? Can anyone confirm this?

My buddy who is downstairs reminded me of long-barrel SOP in urban hides where if necessary/able - the glass must be breached remotely by the spotter prior to the shot being taken. Same buddy pointed out the hammer and we both agreed that this stubby piece of shit was in no way, shattering out the glass windows like that if this rating were true.

Dude is a 64 year old accountant - not some hard dick who's been on deployment rotation since I was a sperm cell. I'm skeptical of any statement that he hadn't had any assistance whatsoever but never lose faith in the ability to be totally unsurprised.

Last edited:
Slightly disagree, but with reservation. He scoped multiple venues, even purchased rooms for a similar event in Chicago for which he never ended up attending (previous to Vegas). I believe he planned on escaping and naturally, lost his tactical mindset on time - early warning (security guard mishap) - and target engagement.

I'm really confused by the extent of the arsenal he had up there, for such an intelligent guy, he had a seemingly insane amount of ammunition and weapons scattered about without logic in odd parts of the room. Possible simple/natural tactical oversight? He was shooting on platforms though I assume rather than just holding the rifle - I heard discussion on the glass being a certain rating and up to 800lbs? Can anyone confirm this?

My buddy who is downstairs reminded me of long-barrel SOP in urban hides where if necessary/able - the glass must be breached remotely by the spotter prior to the shot being taken. Same buddy pointed out the hammer and we both agreed that this stubby piece of shit was in no way, shattering out the glass windows like that if this rating were true.

Dude is a 64 year old accountant - not some hard dick who's been on deployment rotation since I was a sperm cell. I'm skeptical of any statement that he hadn't had any assistance whatsoever but never lose faith in the ability to be totally unsurprised.

I agree with you in every point.

I haven't had more than cursory look at some of the crime scene photos so forgive the question. Any way he could have unscrewed or unbolted the window? There must be a way to remove them from the pane for maintenance.

I haven't done the math on it but a small, hard, heavy hammer can generate some pretty intense force. I don't think it's unreasonable that a couple of whacks might have damaged the window enough to get some shots off. And failing that, just blasting through with one of his 32 guns would probably work pretty well.9

I haven't had more than cursory look at some of the crime scene photos so forgive the question. Any way he could have unscrewed or unbolted the window? There must be a way to remove them from the pane for maintenance.
I have to give a "No" to this one. The last thing any hotel in Vegas wants is a jumper. You cannot open the windows. You cannot remove the windows. If the Sheriff says a device was used then they know best, but I don't see why he wouldn't have just shot it out. They are not bullet proof.
ETA: This would be what they are talking about.
1507255186011.png

I have to give a "No" to this one. The last thing any hotel in Vegas wants is a jumper. You cannot open the windows. You cannot remove the windows. If the Sheriff says a device was used then they know best, but I don't see why he wouldn't have just shot it out. They are not bullet proof.

Roger. I haven't been following this one closely the last few days so out of the loop. Thanks.

I haven't done the math on it but a small, hard, heavy hammer can generate some pretty intense force. I don't think it's unreasonable that a couple of whacks might have damaged the window enough to get some shots off. And failing that, just blasting through with one of his 32 guns would probably work pretty well.9

About 20 years ago, we had a situation involving an office building's 10th floor window in downtown San Francisco, which was shattered and at risk of completely collapsing. Roped off the sidewalk, FD crew responded to finish it off before a commercial crew boarded it up.
This was a window pane weighing between 6 to 700 pounds. What caused the hole and spider cracks around it, was a golf ball. One guy in his office was practicing his swing and (almost) hit it out of the park (wrong sport analogy, I know).

This BASE jumper had an off-heading opening and went through the windows of a hotel. I obviously can't speak to the window specifications in both situations, but an off-heading opening wouldn't give a jumper much forward momentum when he hit the glass. I would think even a small hammer with the right window breaking point could shatter the hotel's glass in a heartbeat.

In re: windows, I recall back in early 2001, some dude went to the 51st floor of a Minneapolis office building, walked through the lobby, grabbed a chair, broke out the window and jumped to his death. There are similar stories out there. So, while there may certainly be different types of glass, it appears it doesn't take Hercules to bust out some of these windows.

And @AWP ...no bueno!

Last edited:
Back