Likelihood of volunteering for SFAS in OSUT?

First of all, you need to be comfortable with the possibility of things not working out. Getting contract options in OSUT is not a guarantee, and if you ship as an 11X with no options you are surrendering control over your destiny, and you may find yourself as a private on worldwide assignment. The 18X program does not just mean a shot at SFAS, the SF prep course is a huge advantage that only Xrays get, so if SF is your goal I highly recommend you don't settle. If circumstances force you into going to a unit and dropping a 4187 to attend SFAS on TDY orders, you are going to have to spend 12 months time on station before you could PCS to Fort Bragg for the Q course. There is already enough downtime in the course, there is no need to lengthen it.

However, with all those disclaimers out of the way, the SF liaison is right there on Sand Hill next to Winder Clinic, an area you will become familiar with, and they will give out contracts. Anyone with a 270+ APFT (or equivalent ACFT in your case), 110+ GT score, and no security clearance issues should be able to pick up a contract, but you have to do a two phase SF physical and it is thorough. We had guys come in with Ranger and SF contracts who were medically discharged (conditions existing prior to service) after that physical. You should confirm before you ship, ideally with the Sand Hill SF liaison, that you will be eligible for a waiver with your specific condition. Find a Recruiter-United States

It can work out. Several of the guys selected in my SFAS class picked up their contracts at OSUT, including one of the best guys on my team during team week. However, none of them had sought the contract before they shipped and they had no eligibility concerns. The requirement for a waiver is all that makes this uncertain, so I would just call them up directly.

I appreciate this. And unfortunately from the two different recruiters in my town, I absolutely can’t get an 18x or option 40 in my contract, so I am stuck with an 11x with the hopes of picking up 18x in OSUT.

With that being said, I am as comfortable as I can be with taking the chance of not getting 18x and being a 26 year old private on worldwide assignment lol.

I appreciate this. And unfortunately from the two different recruiters in my town, I absolutely can’t get an 18x or option 40 in my contract, so I am stuck with an 11x with the hopes of picking up 18x in OSUT.

With that being said, I am as comfortable as I can be with taking the chance of not getting 18x and being a 26 year old private on worldwide assignment lol.
Can you get an Airborne option?

Back