Lone Survivor the Movie

Marcus is a friend of my dad's. Marcus doesn't want this to be mad into into a movie. I'm not exactly sure why (I can only speculate). Maybe he feels it won't do them justice. Most likely is that he feels the studio will profit off of the men. I'm just contributing what I know.

That's bullshit. The man earned SEAL, he fought and nearly died for his country, saw his bros die for their country and you think he'd say he'd leave it over a fuckin movie? If the movie's done right it will honor his fallen bros, give them the recognition he and they--and in fact all warfighters--deserve from a country that's been focused on a dead drug-addled accused pedophile.

I'm not disagreeing with you. And he wouldn't be leaving forever- he'd travel. I'm sorry- I made it sound like he was permanently leaving. He's a great man. And couldn't agree more with you- I've yet to see the out pouring of support for one of our fallen Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, or Marines funerals. It's sick.

AIK,

I don't know you or your family or the situation, so I'm not trying to be a dick or step on your toes or anything. You may be 100% accurate or 100% wrong or somewhere in the middle.... however some advice for you to do with as you see fit, something that may apply to more than just this thread or even this forum:

Be careful when speaking for another person, especially one with the visibility that Mr. Luttrell has. It is easy to misconstrue their words and intent unless you know them very, very well and that can be compounded in a place like this where more than one or two people will hear/ read what you have to say. Right or wrong you can put yourself and them in a bind when you do so.

AIK,

I don't know you or your family or the situation, so I'm not trying to be a dick or step on your toes or anything. You may be 100% accurate or 100% wrong or somewhere in the middle.... however some advice for you to do with as you see fit, something that may apply to more than just this thread or even this forum:

Be careful when speaking for another person, especially one with the visibility that Mr. Luttrell has. It is easy to misconstrue their words and intent unless you know them very, very well and that can be compounded in a place like this where more than one or two people will hear/ read what you have to say. Right or wrong you can put yourself and them in a bind when you do so.

Roger that, wasn't meaning to speak for him. Just giving another point of view on the situation.

I think its Peter Berg, he did the Kingdom. I dont think he will fail.

I prefer Ridley or Tony Scott

Marcus is a friend of my dad's. Marcus doesn't want this to be mad into into a movie. I'm not exactly sure why (I can only speculate). Maybe he feels it won't do them justice. Most likely is that he feels the studio will profit off of the men. I'm just contributing what I know.

Im confident that a huge chunk of the profits will go straight to the SOWF.
I respectfully request a picture of your dad with Marcus, lol.

personally I am very excited for this movie as well as Killing Pablo. The American public needs to know what happened to these brave men. Unfortunetly without this movie, they will never know.
They also need to create a movie about Takur Ghar, and not that shit wannabee movie Lions for Lambs.

personally I am very excited for this movie as well as Killing Pablo. The American public needs to know what happened to these brave men. Unfortunetly without this movie, they will never know.
They also need to create a movie about Takur Ghar, and not that shit wannabee movie Lions for Lambs.

Amen on all accounts... There are plenty of detailed accounts to do a movie about Roberts' Ridge.

Foot in my mouth...

Im confident that a huge chunk of the profits will go straight to the SOWF.
I respectfully request a picture of your dad with Marcus, lol.

I'm pretty sure my dad would beat my ass. :) I spoke out of context and should have just lurked around.

In the main, books don't transfer to movies too well due to a variety of reasons, time, length of movie etc. I can't second guess Mr. Luttrell but that may have something to do with it. The exception that I can recal is Slaughterhouse 5, which Vonnegut was pleased about as a great adaptation. But they are rare.

I wonder if AIK has updates regarding Mr. Luttrell's stand on the movie. A friend and I got to talking about the this and I thought I'd look around for updates... I found one:
------

Peter Berg Puts Lone Survivor on Hold to Sink My Battleship

For a while there, Peter Berg had his eye on adapting the book “Lone Survivor”, based on the true story of former Navy SEALs Marcus Luttrell. But it now appears as if “Lone Survivor” will have to wait for a bit, at least until Berg finishes up “Battleship”, based on the boardgame of the same name for Universal. Recently, Universal flew some bloggers over to talk to Berg about the upcoming sci-fi actioner “Battleship”. (Yes, I said sci-fi actioner, because the movie is apparently going to be an alien invasion film — read more here.) During the trip, the topic of “Lone Survivor” came up, and Berg sounded very enthusiastic about making it his next movie post-”Battleship”.

‘Lone Survivor’ is what I want to do next. If you haven’t read that book it’s an incredible story and a really dynamic one, in the vein of like a ‘Black Hawk Down’. It’s a true story about seventeen SEALS that were killed in one gunfight in Afghanistan. It’s a great story. One survived.

Then one of the guys on the plane, who apparently doesn’t think too highly of “Lone Survivor”, asked this question:

Does knowing that you’re doing that give you the freedom to do something as fantastical as ‘Battleship’? Like you’re having dessert first and will finish with broccoli?

Berg was probably taken aback a bit by that question, but his response is great nevertheless:

Well, I wouldn’t call it broccoli but your point is well taken. The reality is that I’m thrilled to do ‘Battleship’ but the industry that we all work and live in is fed off of these films and I’m excited to make a film like ‘Battleship’ because a film like this, if you make it right and it works and it hits globally we’re all free. Movies like ‘Lone Survivor’ get funded and financed off of movies like ‘Transformers’, ‘Star Trek’, ‘Iron Man’, ‘Spider-Man’, ‘Battleship’ hopefully. Knock wood.

What he’s trying to say is, “Lone Survivor” is a “War on Terror”-themed movie, and those haven’t exactly done gangbuster business, so Hollywood is loathe to do it. As a result, Berg will give them a big-time sci-fi Summer event film, and in return they’ll foot the bill for “Lone Survivor”. It’s what everyone does in Hollywood — you make one for them, and you make one for you.

Hell, the guy even bit the bullet and met with some smelly bloggers just to please Universal, after all. He must really want to do “Lone Survivor”.

You can read more of the interview over at Latino Review.

Source...

Thanks for the update. I hope they honor they fallen. If that is done, the movie is a success IMO.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/film/news/e3i35dfa8e5f7b68d26d9ad79142c18cfad

"Although the book triggered a bidding frenzy, the buildup for the project was slow. Luttrell worked on the book in 2006 while recovering from his injuries, then did a six-month stint in Iraq. It was not published by Little Brown until June, after the author had left the military.

When it first made the Hollywood rounds, the studios passed, the common wisdom being that the subject was too tough to take on and that there already were a growing number of Middle East-set war movies.

Attorney Alan Schwartz, who repped Luttrell, set up a series of high-profile meetings with such producers as Brian Grazer and Anthony Minghella in late July. By then, Luttrell's book had become a surprise best-seller, and producers and execs were clamoring to meet the 6-foot-5-inch Texan.

Although Goldsman tried to bring the project to Warners, the producer proved instrumental in guiding it to Universal. He heard of the book via Spikings, his father-in-law, and introduced Luttrell to Berg, a friend with whom Goldsman is shooting the Will Smith superhero movie "John Hancock." The director and author took to each other since Berg is a fellow Texan with a love for the SEALs, who appear in "Kingdom."

For Luttrell, the most important item on his list was that any adaptation had to respect his fallen comrades, so he wanted to achieve a comfort level with his suitors. According to sources, Schwartz said he did not want an auction scenario but was going to let Luttrell decide where to place the project."

Justin Timberlake is listed as an Actor for the film, I'm speculating that he will portray Matt Axelson (they look quite similar) or possibly Murphy.

Michael P Murphy
Axelson

"Marcus is absolutely committed to ensuring that the movie accurately depicts the events that occurred during Operation Redwing. He personally has reviewed and made corrections to the screenplay, and plans to be on set during filming. He plans to have control over all aspects of the movie to ensure that his brothers-in-arms are portrayed as heroically as they were in life.

The current projection is that the movie will start filming in late Fall 2010 or early 2011. There have been many actors who have been considered, but no final selections have been made.

One question asked whether he was planning to make a movie about his life, and yes, Lone Survivor will depict that portion of Marcus' life that has already been articulated in the book. Marcus doesn't currently have plans for a 2nd book, or for the movie to introduce new information about his life."

Here's the latest update I can find on Google. Sorry, didn't want to make a new thread...

When Peter Berg agreed in September 2009 to adapt the board game Battleship for Universal, he struck a deal with the studio: if he made their giant blockbuster based on a board game, they'd let him make the movie he really wanted to make, about a Navy SEAL team ambushed by the Taliban in Afghanistan. It's the kind of "one for you, one for me" deal that landed Christopher Nolan his huge Inception budget or allowed Zack Snyder to run wild on Sucker Punch, a studio's way of keeping a director happy by greenlighting projects that might not be that successful. But now that a team of Navy SEALs have in fact killed Osama bin Laden, Berg's project is looking a whole lot more commercial, and the studio is moving forward with the project that Berg thought might not actually happen.

In a relatively extensive interview with Deadline, Berg acknowledged that "Bin Laden's death has cleared the way for this," the movie called Lone Survivor and based on the book by Marcus Luttrell. Luttrell was one of four SEAL team members captured by the Taliban on a mission to kill a terrorist leader; as Berg explained to Deadline, "The mission was similar to the assassination mission that got bin Laden, but things got complicated when they ran into three kids and an old man," he said. "Under the rules of engagement, they could have killed them, but they decided to let them go and take their chances, even though they knew these people would likely talk."

Berg has already talked to his Battleship star Taylor Kitsch about playing one of the SEAL team members, and is meeting with other actors as we speak. He compared the project to Black Hawk Down and also described it as "an unapologetically patriotic film that honors and pays homage to an incredible group of badass guys who do this." The movie will start shooting in January, just a few months before Battleship finally proves itself in theaters on May 18, but a few months after Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal will get statred on their own Navy SEAL project, which is actually called (or at least was called at one point) Kill Bin Laden. The two films will likely be very different, but who knows if Bigelow and Boal appreciate the big studio competition as they set up their own meticulously researched film.

source

Good to see the director knows the story. "Luttrell was one of four SEAL team members captured by the Taliban on a mission to kill a terrorist leader"; as Berg explained to Deadline

Or, in the real life version that Luttrell wrote about in his book, he was the only one captured and the other three were killed.

Back