M1 Garand Help

I spent a few hours today at a BBQ with some experts on the M1 Garand and they fixed it!! :D

Before I start the explanation let me just say :doh: lol

The .308 (7.62x51mm) M1 Garand I brought turns out to be a 30-06! :uhh: :doh: lol

The two experts fucked around with it for quite some time stupefied as to why the clip wouldn't load, thy even chambered a .308 into her which took no small amount of effort to clear! :doh: and only after boots to the cocking handle, hammers, screwdrivers etc were put to good use! :D The upside is they said to load that round as well as it did proves it's as strong as an M1 could be. :cool:

It is a 1943 Springfield Armory model, with all its original parts except the barrel which was replaced in the early 50's. The barrel might (I have to check with CMP) be one that is one of the best ever put into a Garand, one to match grade standards! :cool:

Anyway, they said it was a great rifle which I'm really happy about and I'm very happy it turns out to be a 30-06, I regretted getting the .308 after I brought it so alls well that ends well!

I would like to thank all that helped me with this problem, your effort and advice was and is very much appreciated!

I would also like to throw sand in the eyes of the douchebag that sold me the rifle in the first place, fuck you dickhead.

One M1 Garand.... 850 dollars

One box of .308 Winchester Ammo..... 20 dollars

Finding out it is the wrong fucking caliber....... PRICELESS!!!!!

That is some funny shit... I am so glad it did not happen to me... :D

glad you got it worked out... let us know how she shoots....

S

I do believe that the Navy had sleeved their M1's to chamber .308 Win.

I'd rather have the 30-06 also. Glad it all worked for you. I'm betting you'll group fairly tight with that bugger. :)

WTF!!!

I just tried to load the fucking POS and it still wont take the clip! :mad:

I'm going to stab my fucking eyes out in a minute!

:(

WTF!!!

I just tried to load the fucking POS and it still wont take the clip! :mad:

I'm going to stab my fucking eyes out in a minute!

:(

I used to have one. Strap the damn thing to the back of your bike and take a ride north. We can hit the range and fix the damn thing up here.

I will melt the fucking thing down if it doesn't comply ASAP! :mad:

One aspect of the clips, is to besure all the rounds are fully seated down in the clip. That can cause a tip of the bullet to hang up and keep the clip from going all the way down.

If you were near me, I would say bring it over. I have several Garands. I built a few.

Thanks HOLLis, I did check the rounds and no luck.

My local gun store guy said he is a Garand man so he will hopefully get it sorted for me.

OK folks, it is fucking fixed!!! :)

The Operating Rod had shit in it and that made the spring longer thereby preventing the clip from going all the way down.

My local gun store guy replaced the Op Rod with a different one and bingo problem solved.

Thank fuck for that! :D

Thank you all very much for your time and effort with this problem I really do appreciate it.

OK folks, it is fucking fixed!!! :)

The Operating Rod had shit in it and that made the spring longer thereby preventing the clip from going all the way down.

My local gun store guy replaced the Op Rod with a different one and bingo problem solved.

Thank fuck for that! :D

Thank you all very much for your time and effort with this problem I really do appreciate it.

I didn't want to say anything. I had a gut feeling, probably from my own past experience that the problem was going to be comical. It reinforces my paranoia that some powerful being is after me.

Back