M9 Holster Advice

pardus

Verified Military
Ive been issued an M9 for full time carry.

Ive been issued a horrible holster, drop leg etc...

Most guys here that have after market holsters have a Blackhawk rig, that can be drop leg, hip, chest mount on armor as well as a shoulder rig set up.

Seems like a good set up but before I order one I wanted to know what rig you carry your M9 in tactically. i.e. with armor and without.

Thanks

I've used the issued one, the Blackhawk Serpa, and what I believe was a Safariland Tactical holster. I liked the Safariland on the leg. I haven't had the Blackhawk on my armor, but I didn't have any issues with it on my hip or leg. I was always worried about bumping the release button though. I would recommend the Safariland tactical type, but I am sure someone with more experience than me will chime in with better info.

I've used the issued one, the Blackhawk Serpa, and what I believe was a Safariland Tactical holster. I liked the Safariland on the leg. I haven't had the Blackhawk on my armor, but I didn't have any issues with it on my hip or leg. I was always worried about bumping the release button though. I would recommend the Safariland tactical type, but I am sure someone with more experience than me will chime in with better info.

I've used both. I do like the serpa but trust the better retention of the safailand.

I sold my dropleg Safariland to The Troll a while ago, but I have a Blackhawk one that looks like this, I liked it because it mounted high and square on the front of my body armor, I could get to it with either hand, it didn't get caught going into or out of a helicopter (or into and out of a desk :-/), it was in very securely (and I had it attached to a lanyard) and it was up high enough on my chest that it didn't get int the way if I needed to get into the prone. If you want it, PM me your address.

40CL-P-1.jpg

How ya gonna carry?
Chest, thigh, drop leg?
M6's holster is a SERPA, which isn't viewed as favrably as they were 2-3 years ago.
Good holster, you just need to be aware of the limitations.
I have an old (black) Blackhawk Nylon leg holster if you are interested, along with some old school Bianchi's ;).

I'm a big fan of the SERPA and the Safariland holsters. I used the SERPAs for a very long time, however ended up making the change to Safariland after some buddies had some issues with the SERPA.

Issues to be aware of (rare but still exist):
- There is a very slight possibility that a small object such as a pebble, can get lodged in the SERPA holster's release system. If this happens, your holster will lock up and you will be unable to draw your pistol. If you jump on Youtube, there are actually a few people that I believe made videos that show how it happens. It's a very rare thing, however I did have a buddy who's SERPA holster locked up on him.

- If for some unknown reason your finger is on the trigger as you draw your pistol, the SERPA is not right for you. There have been numerous idiots who have shot themselves in the leg doing this. Due to the design of the holster, and that you must use your trigger finger to depress the release...some people have been pressing that release with the tip of the trigger finger vs. the pad. Then when they go to draw the pistol, the trigger finger immediately slides into the trigger guard of the pistol and they shoot themselves before they are even pushed out on target. Not saying you would do this...just something to be aware of if you weren't already.

If you plan on moving the holster to your chest, I would suggest the SERPA. If not, I would definitely go with the Safariland holster.

The Safariland looks good, is it able to be detached and used in different places as the blackhawk is? (I havent had a good chance to look at the website yet, I'm having some internet issues)

How ya gonna carry?
Chest, thigh, drop leg?

Thats a good question, I kind of want it to be able to go anywhere, hip, leg, chest. Thats why I liked the blackhawk set up.

I'm going to be carrying with and without armor on and off the FOB.

The Safariland looks good, is it able to be detached and used in different places as the blackhawk is? (I havent had a good chance to look at the website yet, I'm having some internet issues)

Thats a good question, I kind of want it to be able to go anywhere, hip, leg, chest. Thats why I liked the blackhawk set up.

Safailand has the ability to put on rigs using the quick attachment system..

I used two different holsters for that. The Blackhawk stayed on my body armor, and I had a hip holster that I wore under my uniform top. Switching your holster back and forth off your body armor is a PITA, IMO.

I used two different holsters for that. The Blackhawk stayed on my body armor, and I had a hip holster that I wore under my uniform top. Switching your holster back and forth off your body armor is a PITA, IMO.

Does your blackhawk holster have the quick connect wheel on the holster?

Serpa or Safariland ALS are both solid. Safariland makes a molle kit that can quickly be mounted on your armor or onto a waist/dropleg, but it felt really flimsy to me.

...I have a Blackhawk one that looks like this, I liked it because it mounted high and square on the front of my body armor, I could get to it with either hand, it didn't get caught going into or out of a helicopter (or into and out of a desk :-/), it was in very securely (and I had it attached to a lanyard) and it was up high enough on my chest that it didn't get int the way if I needed to get into the prone. If you want it, PM me your address.

40CL-P-1.jpg

How do you fast rope with it on your front?

My last deployment, we always wore armor off base. I used a Blackhawk Serpa just like Mara pictured on my high chest. On the FOB, I carried my pistol in an issue leather shoulder holster. I agree with Mara, trying to move a holster into different configurations is a MAJOR PITA.

Back