Marine Raiders

And personally I think they should implement a unit that does only amphibious raids. And use them for every MEU, just alternating companies so you get a year or so in between MEUs instead of just tasking a new grunt unit everytime. I think it would make things run a lot smoother and it would be a lot more cost effective. They wouldn't have to train new companies every few months, just the new guys to the unit and sustainment training. But hey, what do I know?

And personally I think they should implement a unit that does only amphibious raids. And use them for every MEU, just alternating companies so you get a year or so in between MEUs instead of just tasking a new grunt unit everytime. I think it would make things run a lot smoother and it would be a lot more cost effective. They wouldn't have to train new companies every few months, just the new guys to the unit and sustainment training. But hey, what do I know?

The Marine Corps had a small craft company that would source the east coast MEUs with coxswains and scout swimmers. The west coast had a boat house that would support the west coast MEUs and both organizations were shut down. There is a guy here from small craft company, he would know more about it.

Bravo 1/1, Fox 2/1, India 3/1 and Alpha 1/4 used to be legitimate boat companies from 1st Marines that would rotate through the 11th, 13th and 15th MEUs, and C 1/2, G 2/2, a company from 3/2 (they may have rotated this company, I am not an east coast guy) would rotate through the 22nd, 24th and 26th. 5th Marines and 7th Marines would source the 31st MEU (and UDP cycle) but since the rotation for one MEU was split between two regiments it wasn't as consistent as it was with 1st Marines. The most famous "raider" companies are Alpha 1/4 and Golf 2/2; they have kept the name and tradition throughout their MEU and OIF rotations. Most of the other boat companies will adopt it when they go through EWTGPAC and drop it when they do an OIF pump.

The decision was made in 2006 to drop the small craft mission from the west coast and east coast MEUs because there really hasn't been a need for it. We have used helos and tracks frequently but never boats. I could see uses for them but I guess the Marine Corps decided that all that money and training would be better spent training Marines in something else like live fire and maneuver etc. I can certainly see their point as many MEUs have ditched their ships and gone ashore to Iraq or Afghanistan. I personally think the shared misery of cold water small boat operations forms a stronger unit but then again I don't have eagles or stars on my collar. Alpha 1/4 was probably the strongest company out of 1/4 in Nasariyih and Najaf, and I think it has a lot to do with their raider pride and the cohesiveness that you normally see in a boat company. The 31st MEU kept the CRRCs because of all the bilateral training they do with them and all the islands that they could use them on.

I personally think the shared misery of cold water small boat operations forms a stronger unit but then again I don't have eagles or stars on my collar.

Fuuuugh yeah... the NC intercoastal, Mile Hammocks, & just off Onslow Beach doing capsized CRRC drills in February can't beat it!!

Its blows but it pumps you up, something about shared misery.

Back