Medical. : Intro/Qualifications/Goals

A home, a home, home away from home. :) welcome to the mad house, as you take beers from la nevera, ponte un otro, por favor. :D

Welcome guys. Obviously, most of my med stuff comes from the in hospital side of the house, but I think I can hold my own for field stuff (can I Helo/FM?)

I'm off to the KY shoot this weekend. Looking forward to meeting some more of the loop-folks, have only met RB and Viper thus far. Shall we do another scanario first of the week?? Recon, you up for leading this next one??

I agree with my Philly brother. you would do well in dirt medicine. :) Enjoy the KY shoot - usually I just rub it on, but I guess shooting it might work too.... be on the watch for phlebitis though, JIC. :D lol

I guess this is where the creds go.

L (FM) conned me into signing in.

I don't type so well, and am doing flash sessions, so I apologize for the typos :)

I am physically DQ'd from USAF entry (1984) and since have had the near death MI and resultant disabilities.

My mind and experience are my assets, and FM may or may not agree on the value of those.

I currently teach primarily medical students emergency medicine theory and technigue, having about 35 years of prehospital and hospital experience.

My bio is on the board intro, so if I forget anything important, oh well.

part 2

I started EM life as an Eagle and started an Emergency Services explorer post. Served as a dispatcher, aidman, "nurse" and driver for a volly ambulance, then a pro ambulance as one of the States first EMT's (1975). Worked as an orderly in ICE in a catholic hospital at night, with tours in CCU and ED, graduating BSN and Paramedic training, working with a major metro FD Paramedic program in the days of block grants (early 80), More time in the ED as RN, medical school through 1988, em residencyin a major metro knife and gun ED, with tours in three other MIEMS progeny Trauma centers, a burn center, and aninternationally known peds hospital. Started the centers EMS fellowhsip for docs, brough BTLS to the East coast of my state, and have been continuing to teach (my love) ever since.

Ask and I'll point the way

Oh hai

I am student of AČR (Czech Republic's army) Faculty of Health Sciences, paramedic field. I had some first aid/ mountain rescue courses before enlisting, and continue in attending everything I can. But still i have lots to learn, and will mostly lurk here. I'd love to contribute, but I will stay in my line.

Thank you all for sharing information here and for letting me to absorb them :)

Kaja

My .02
Accupressure, Accupuncture, Herbalist / Holistic Wellness
First Responder
Most of my experience has been in the sports / Martial art field
Glad to be here & thanks for the opp to learn more

I'm a career firefighter and a former paramedic.
Here in Ontario, Canada, you need to complete a college paramedic course, and then pass a provincial exam to be qualified to work for an ambulance service.
I worked as a paramedic-1 (symptom relief and defib) for a few years before becoming a firefighter.
I don't do any real medical stuff anymore; we're first response until the ambulance arrives. And as a Captain, I'm back taking notes a getting a med history while the action is going on.
I still teach first aid/CPR and defib.
I also get reminded of all kinds of med stuff since my wife became an RN 3 days ago.

I'm a 68W10 with EMT-B.

Civi side I'm a Veterinary Technician, have plenty of experience in Veterinary work, almost zero in the 68W/EMT side.

Despite getting a decent GPA at AIT (85.5) My skills IMO are weak, I missed a hell of a lot of training during AIT due to being asleep half the bloody time in class, I have serious issues with the cadre during AIT for that.
Hemorrhage/trauma I'm OK with but if you need drugs for example go elsewhere.

I need to fill the voids in my training, those voids are often basic shit that I should know.

Pardus: The idea of A.I.T. is too get the basics down. The "real" O.J.T. starts @ your unit level, IMO. May I suggest using your EMT-B to your advantage and getting a gig on the outside of the Army to enforce your skills. Anyway, you have lots of support on here and it WILL come to you bro. I promise you that. As you know, experience is the best teacher. Also, keep going through your books and re-learn your basics and google lots of stuff. I like going to North American Rescue Products web page. They have on line lessons on everything, including but not limited to bleed control to needle decompression. If you have questions, you have come to the right place. Welcome to the medical side of things.

L.

Thanks FM.

Problem with the OTJT is I'm in the nasty guard. Since graduating in Nov '09 Ive learnt the difference between a miller and a mac laryngoscope blade. :uhh:

They haven't even heard of a Hyfin chest seal, they just look at me weird when I talk about it :doh:
I'm sure our training and skills will all be updated and solidified before we deploy, but at the moment the medic platoon is rebuilding and it's preoccupied with Army BS.

Ho Hum welcome to the machine lol

On the other hand I was at work the other day and was pounding on the chest of a dog who decided to expire from severe pulmonary edema, So that was good OTJT.

C.P.R. on a dog. I give ot yo you bro. I have done that in the past and rather not deal woith animals. I love the little fury things and it would kill me to have to work with them on a daily basis. Props to you Pardus.

L.

Worse part about it was that the owner was there patting the dog's head, crying, telling the dog he loved him and to live etc...

I have no problem separating myself from that and concentrating on the job but it's embarrassing to watch a grown man cry.

true story. my dog, and my kid. and probably my wife too, cuz she's pretty cool, and I'd miss her mac and cheese casserole.

Back