Military Athlete

Thanks, I have a better idea on how I want to set this up. I am just going to have to eat a crap load and watch for over-training.

I would fear under training more than over training...

Your intense training should take up up to about 2 weeks out from leaving for SUT. Take the last two weeks off, COMPLETELY and you will be fine.

Now, go do PT.

I also hate running, Running breeds cowardice.

I agree with the Mark Twight feeling (I don't like him either), and I don't have a lot of exposure to MA. Just from checking it out briefly, I am interested to say the least. I like the look and feel of the Operator Ugly fitness test.

I also hate running, Running breeds cowardice.

I agree with the Mark Twight feeling (I don't like him either), and I don't have a lot of exposure to MA. Just from checking it out briefly, I am interested to say the least. I like the look and feel of the Operator Ugly fitness test.

Operator Ugly is a definite kick in the nuts...especially done alongside other type A's all competing.

Only problem I have had with MA (other thank the constant want for my mother) is finding a workout partner. Haven't had any make it through more than a week of Rob's workouts.

Only problem I have had with MA (other thank the constant want for my mother) is finding a workout partner. Haven't had any make it through more than a week of Rob's workouts.

Workout partner... Only person you should be competing against is yourself, after all thats who you will be competing against everyday of your, hopeful, SF career. I understand having a workout partner around for the heavy ME days but otherwise I find they hold me back.

With that, when you get to an ODA remember, it rarely matters what you did, only what you can do when "the test" is administered by the enemy.

MA is a great program. I did CrossFit for a couple years, CrossFit Football for a few months, and 5/3/1 for a few months before starting MA. I have kept almost all of the strength I gained by doing CFFB and 5/3/1 and am much faster, quicker, and have more stamina with MA. It's a fantastic program that I feel is going to really help me at SFAS. I have never had a program push me as hard mentally as MA. Crip, thanks again for the recommendation.

Cric- you wanna be a pen pal, maybe a "cool cousin-type" or something? Kidding.

I know what you mean about the workout partner. I haven't worked out with an actual "person that goes with me to the gym" in about 10 years. You're 2 times as fast when you go alone. I prefer to work out by myself at this point, other than my ME days where I need a spot on a weight I cant dump.

I've been following MA for a few months now, doing the Squad PT sessions and integrating them into my platoons morning workouts as well as mixing in a few free operator sessions into my own person workouts. So far I've seen decent gains in my own personal strength increasing in weight (40-50lbs on DL, bench etc) for my measly weight of 145lbs. I used MA program to gain the weight lost after Sapper School.

I'd recommend it.

Just a question for those using it. Is this program something that could literally be done by someone on their own?

I'm the only uniformed guy where I'm working at the moment and looking at a few of the weights on the operator ugly my arsehole is puckering.

Their is pretty much zero chance of getting any of the civvys out there to do it with me.

Just a question for those using it. Is this program something that could literally be done by someone on their own?

I'm the only uniformed guy where I'm working at the moment and looking at a few of the weights on the operator ugly my arsehole is puckering.

Their is pretty much zero chance of getting any of the civvys out there to do it with me.

I've done it on my own plenty of times. Sometimes my girlfriend does it with me, but sometimes I am just too busy and can't wait for her and have to do it by myself.

Wait..... What were we talking about? :D

In all seriousness though, I have done a lot of the MA workouts solo and have never had an issue.

About the only exercise you need a safety for is the bench press. Both the front sqt and dead lift can be dumped if you get into trouble but max effort on bench at 185 could cause you some issues if you dont know when to not chase that "just one more" rep.

As for the Operator Sessions, I do most of them solo, but there are others in the gym on my 1RM days involving bench.

For those looking for strength, I have recently been turned on to Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 powerlifting system (google it for more info). It has made for a welcome break from sandbag getups and "the Exercise."

HTH,

Crip

About the only exercise you need a safety for is the bench press. Both the front sqt and dead lift can be dumped if you get into trouble but max effort on bench at 185 could cause you some issues if you dont know when to not chase that "just one more" rep.

As for the Operator Sessions, I do most of them solo, but there are others in the gym on my 1RM days involving bench.

For those looking for strength, I have recently been turned on to Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 powerlifting system (google it for more info). It has made for a welcome break from sandbag getups and "the Exercise."

HTH,

Crip
I've heard of 5/3/1 before. Are you running this 3 times a week in conjunction with MA? That sounds insane. I don't know if I could cut it- I would think I'd need more time for recovery.

...Are you running this 3 times a week in conjunction with MA? That sounds insane. I don't know if I could cut it- I would think I'd need more time for recovery.

No. I am doing Wendler M,W,F and a capacity/endurance session or work on power lifts (Snatch, SQT Clean) on T, TH. I take Sat and Sun off totally.

Crip

No. I am doing Wendler M,W,F and a capacity/endurance session or work on power lifts (Snatch, SQT Clean) on T, TH. I take Sat and Sun off totally.

Crip
Roger that. Sounds good.

Heard a lot of good things about Wendler's system from some buddies. They've had good results.

I've been mixing up MA with one of Stew Smith's 12 week programs. I've seen HUGE increases in every area and my stamina and endurance in the gym has never been this strong. I'd def. reccomend either/both MA and/or Stew Smith's workouts to anyone trying to change up their routines and make gains.

It's all just a train-up for OPT. If you can follow Optimum Performance Training as Rx'd, you know you're rockin'.

FYI, Rob Shaul's ruck based selection program served me very well during SFAS. I recovered very quickly from the events and did not experience any joint pain. In fact I already felt like I was back at 100% 2 days after the last team event. Can't wait to get the barbell back in my hand on Monday.

The one thing I would add to his program would probably be grip endurance exercises such as farmers carries.

I wouldn't worry too much about training specificity, like grip endurance. If you can deadlift, string together long sets of pull ups, or do clean or snatch complexes without having to put the bar down, you have grip endurance.

You'd be getting into the curling/tricep extension realm, getting bigger arms without increasing your pullups/bench. I'd go with farmers walks though, they are pretty good total body exercise.

For those of you who don't check the MA site very often, there are some new programs out. He has long had an Army and USMC PFT Prep Program, and the Air Force has now been added to the mix. They also JUST added an 8-week water based program dsigned for BUD/S, PJ, and CCT prep. Additionally, there are programs for guys with an arm or leg injury, a program designed around maximizing strength while minimizing mass gain, and a Lower Back Fitness Program. http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=12&cart_category_ID=2

Back