Military Athlete

Never knew there was a thread for MA...I guess I should have searched. In any event, I was thinking about this while on the treadmill today. This applies for those who are using MA for conditioning and hoping to get into an SOF pipeline that requires a certain run time to be maintained and improved upon.
MA does not incorporate much running in their program. A 45-60 min sustained run at a "moderate pace" (I'm sure most guys on here have a different opinion of moderate than I do :D) every 10 days or so is about all they will incorporate. You will need to supplement the brutal workouts with your own running. Mine has suffered greatly. I was dying at an 8:30-9:00 pace today.
Just my $.02, YMMV.

Never knew there was a thread for MA...I guess I should have searched. In any event, I was thinking about this while on the treadmill today. This applies for those who are using MA for conditioning and hoping to get into an SOF pipeline that requires a certain run time to be maintained and improved upon.
MA does not incorporate much running in their program. A 45-60 min sustained run at a "moderate pace" (I'm sure most guys on here have a different opinion of moderate than I do :D) every 10 days or so is about all they will incorporate. You will need to supplement the brutal workouts with your own running. Mine has suffered greatly. I was dying at an 8:30-9:00 pace today.
Just my $.02, YMMV.

Much of the difficulty in maintaining even a 9:00 pace with the MA program is the fact that you are usually coming off a pretty good beatdown. If you were somewhat well-rested, you would perform much better. Additionally, in his selection specific programs, there is much more running programmed. 2 mile timed runs, 5 mile timed runs, 1 mile repeats, etc. Much of the training that is done in the Operator Sessions will benefit your running ability, even if it is not literal running. :-)

I did my first ever ruck-type activity today. There was no way I was going to run for 45 minutes in the cold & wind. So, I put on my layers of clothing, laced up my Bates lights, put about 35-45 lbs of shit in my sea bag (not something that should ever be carried any farther than the curb to the front door of your barracks) and set off. I did about 30 minutes of slow jogging and 15 minutes of just walking. Talk about conditioning for your lower legs! It was a good workout too. I was sweating like crazy after about 25 minutes. I have no idea how much distance I covered.
One thing I was thinking about during this was how it would help my running. Here's how my running progressed and suffered from DEP-boot camp-Coronado

7 day (before shipping) PST - 10:48
First PST about 2 weeks into boot camp - 11:40
Last PST about 6 weeks into boot camp - 11:20
PST during AI in Coronado - 10:24

I did zero running between leaving boot camp and taking my PST in Coronado. That's about 5 weeks total. The only thing we did was "shuffle" everywhere with our rucks on. I attribute my run time to all the shuffling we did in boots w/rucks (very light, no more than 15-20lbs) Vs. being able to run the PST in sneakers. You get used to keeping up with the class in boots, greens & rucks, then you get to run with just your shorts and sneakers. The difference speaks for itself.
Mods/Admin, if any of this borders on G2, you can delete it.

If you are giving your all in his workouts, the work capacity you get used to should make a PST, PFT, and so on a VERY easy day. The core work alone from sandbag get-ups should make you a stronger runner.

Much of the difficulty in maintaining even a 9:00 pace with the MA program is the fact that you are usually coming off a pretty good beatdown. If you were somewhat well-rested, you would perform much better. Additionally, in his selection specific programs, there is much more running programmed. 2 mile timed runs, 5 mile timed runs, 1 mile repeats, etc. Much of the training that is done in the Operator Sessions will benefit your running ability, even if it is not literal running. :-)

On just week 1 I think.. there was:

Running: 1 mile warmup, then 8 rounds: 60 seconds sprints/60 second rests

And then the next day 3 Rounds: 1 mile @ Threshhold/2 minutes rest

then whatever the next days workout is, and that was plenty beatdown for me. My nutrition and rest hadn't been on point due to finals week, and some major lethargy/overtraining set in. Slept 14 hours today lol. Its still good shit though, thanks again for emailing it to me CDG.

On just week 1 I think.. there was:

Running 1 mile warmup: 60 seconds sprints/60 second rests

And then the next day 3 Rounds: 1 mile @ Threshhold/2 minutes rest

then whatever the next days workout is, and that was plenty beatdown for me. My nutrition and rest hadn't been on point due to finals week, and some major lethargy/overtraining set in. Slept 14 hours today lol. Its still shit though, thanks again for emailing it to me CDG.

I find myself having to stagger my training schedule at times as well. Working full-time, especially nights, and going to school full-time as well means there are times where I might only train three days in a week.

If you are giving your all in his workouts, the work capacity you get used to should make a PST, PFT, and so on a VERY easy day. The core work alone from sandbag get-ups should make you a stronger runner.

In addition to what Surgicalcric stated, the fact that PFTs might be comparatively "easy" do not mean that the Operator Sessions will prep you to max out a PFT.

I don't buy that at all. Getting away from a consistent running schedule has caused my running to suffer greatly despite the workouts I put myself through in the gym. I also don't see what standing up and lying down with a 60# sand bag has to do with lowering my running times. The two simply don't equate.
And I'm not in the Selection based program, so I can't comment on what CDG and Jonnyb are going through.

I don't buy that at all. Getting away from a consistent running schedule has caused my running to suffer greatly despite the workouts I put myself through in the gym. I also don't see what standing up and lying down with a 60# sand bag has to do with lowering my running times. The two simply don't equate.
And I'm not in the Selection based program, so I can't comment on what CDG and Jonnyb are going through.
I'm still doing the Operator Sessions, not the Selection Prep Program. :-) It sounds like running might be something you have to stay on top of. I have to do the same with my bench. I will lose 20# off my bench in a matter of a couple weeks if I don't do it regularly. The running for me is pretty consistent though. Even without constant running I can go out and run a 35:00-37:00 5 mile piece.

I understand what all of you are saying, but are you telling me a stronger core does NOT help your run time? I would strongly disagree with all of you. Let me clarify, I am not saying that sandbag getups alone will improve your run time. When complimented with running, and high capacity work, it definately does. Not only physically, but most definately mentally.

I understand what all of you are saying, but are you telling me a stronger core does NOT help your run time? I would strongly disagree with all of you. Let me clarify, I am not saying that sandbag getups alone will improve your run time. When complimented with running, and high capacity work, it definately does. Not only physically, but most definately mentally.

That's not what you originally said, but I see what you're getting at and I agree. :thumbsup:
As far as the strong core, I'd take the 30lb weight loss I went through while in DEP before I'd take a stronger core (without weight loss) if we're talking about strictly running. But that's just me. The saying YMMV is used for a reason. Running is something I have to stay on top of constantly or I lose my conditioning, as CDG alluded to.
Overall, I think a strong core is a necessity in any selection process, so I'm not discounting it as being important.
And, it's definitely... That's my grammar nazi side coming out! :D

Just my $.02, MHO and YMMV.

For those looking for strength, I have recently been turned on to Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 powerlifting system (google it for more info). It has made for a welcome break from sandbag getups and "the Exercise."

I've been doing 5/3/1 for about a year & as far as pre-made programs go, Wendler takes the cake IMO. I stated with the 4 days/week split & saw great gains. If strength is what you're looking for, 5/3/1 is where it's at.
I do the 2 days/week split now as I'm focusing on endurance for the time being & "de-loading."
For those of you that have tightness and whatnot, I'd recommend throwing in some foam rolling. It really blows when you first start (especially for the IT band) but the difference it makes is amazing.

I've been doing 5/3/1 for about a year & as far as pre-made programs go, Wendler takes the cake IMO. I stated with the 4 days/week split & saw great gains. If strength is what you're looking for, 5/3/1 is where it's at.
I do the 2 days/week split now as I'm focusing on endurance for the time being & "de-loading."
For those of you that have tightness and whatnot, I'd recommend throwing in some foam rolling. It really blows when you first start (especially for the IT band) but the difference it makes is amazing.

have you seen the 5/3/1 full body split?
http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

If you liked 5/3/1, you may like that. I enjoyed it. Felt light on my feet when i came off it as well.

And, it's definitely... That's my grammar nazi side coming out! :D

Good catch! I re-read my post and can see how is was mistaken. I would never suggest that sandbag get-ups alone would make a run time better. I have the ruck based selection from MA as well, and am fighting myself to do that or the 10 week prep guide for A&S in April. I am currently doing the 10 week prep I have been given by the recruiters, and I am doing well with it, but feel like I can do a little more! I was given a modified version of it, with four different cards, and some great pool work on Friday's.

have you seen the 5/3/1 full body split?
http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

If you liked 5/3/1, you may like that. I enjoyed it. Felt light on my feet when i came off it as well.
Thanks for the link! I know a couple natural bodybuilders that have a split similar to that & swear by it. I personally like keeping my deadlifts & squats on separate days, since those are always the 2 main lifts I focus on (though I have started adding weighted pullups & dips into the mix).

I have the so-called "SFOD-D" training program if you guys want it. Shit aint free from the site so take advantage of my good will.
Its the "horseman program"

Kinda confusing but has good workouts.

The problem with MA is that its hard to do if you dont have all the equipment as most crossfit gyms dont take lightly to you showing up and doing your own thing.

I have the so-called "SFOD-D" training program if you guys want it. Shit aint free from the site so take advantage of my good will.
Its the "horseman program"

Kinda confusing but has good workouts.

The problem with MA is that its hard to do if you dont have all the equipment as most crossfit gyms dont take lightly to you showing up and doing your own thing.
Are there two of these programs then? I found what I thought was the HP and it is free....
http://www.scribd.com/doc/55818603/Horsemen-Training-Program-i-1
I am very lucky in that there is a cheap ($35 a month) strength training facility close to me that has everything I could ever conceivably use. KBs, bumper plates, lifting platforms, rings, a rope, tires, farmers carry implements, an indoor 40 yd lane for prowlers/sprints, logs, axles, etc. If any of you are ever near Norfolk, check out Brute Strength Gym.

The only limfac i ever ran into was not having bumper weights and getting chewed out for smashing the plastic floor of the tent our field gym was in. I made my own sandbag and have become fond of her. Most of the exercises can be substituted or improvised with a little forthought. Ive done thousands of KB workouts with DB's Not ideal but it will get the job done. Ive done GHD situps by placing a flatbench behind the seat of a lat pull down machine. Ive used tubular nylon to in place of rings. We didnt have squat racks in the gym i smashed the floor in so I'd have to guys hold the bar and become a human squat rack. If youre a paying member of the sight Rob is usually very good at responding to questions in my experience.

Yeah some of that stuff was frustrating and a pain in the ass. I just wanted to throw out some problems and solutions Ive come up with in the past.

Back