Military Athlete

txpj007

Pararescue
Verified SOF
anyone else been doing militaryathlete.com for an extended amount of time or doing it at all? i switched to it about 3 months ago from crossfit and ive seen gains like crazy in all areas. the first few weeks were like doing crossfit for the first time...i.e. kicked my ass. just curious if anyone else has gotten into this and what your thoughts are. any similar experiences?

I have been doing MA for about a year now and have seen massive gains in strength. I stopped crossfit because I tend to lean out a bit too much for my own liking. I havent had that issue with MA and have actually put on some muscle.

The slasher/halo's have also helped with my shoulder issue...

I've really been looking at challenging myself to the extreme lately and have become obsessed with fitness and getting myself in the best shape possible. I have been considering CrossFit for the past week or two. Now that I see this, should I just not do CrossFit and start doing this?

Also, anybody know a good place to get a weighted vest pretty cheap? Yet, isn't a complete POS?

Thanks.

I had been making really good progress and felt really good, I took a couple of days off for recovery and to do some diving and got some nasty stomach bug and spent two days in teh bathroom...now I just can't seem to get back to it...so I'm going to start all over again. I can't believe how fast you can undo months of hard work...whah whah whah

I've really been looking at challenging myself to the extreme lately and have become obsessed with fitness and getting myself in the best shape possible. I have been considering CrossFit for the past week or two. Now that I see this, should I just not do CrossFit and start doing this?

Also, anybody know a good place to get a weighted vest pretty cheap? Yet, isn't a complete POS?

Thanks.

why have you been considering CF for two weeks but not doing? there's nothing wrong with CF IMO. i like it and have used it for years. in the words of surgicalcric it kept me to lean for my liking. also i felt the need to supplement CF with more PT as some of the WOD's could be done quickly if you were in good shape. a lot of times they left me feeling like i hadnt really worked out. CF is very supportive of the military and it has become more accepted by the military over time. CF is great IMO for people in general seeking total functional fitness and to get them out of the gym and all those Muscle Mag workouts.

However, i prefer MA because of the structure and cycle of the workouts. I also feel it better prepares me for work. To me its easier to see the goal of the cycles and work toward that goal during each cycle respectively. I also feel like there is a greater emphasis on strength in MA. Also i never feel like i need to go workout out or supplement my training session afterward.

I dont know your level of fitness or your goals. Therefore it would be hard for me to give you an answer one way or another. the one downfall to MA is that is a somewhat advanced program from the start. so, if you dont have much experience in those kind of workouts then i'd say start with CF. CF allows you to scale the workouts a little easier. if you've got your heart set on MA then take the operator ugly test. you should at least score 100. if not then you might wanna start with CF.

in the end its really up to you. if you are as motivated as you say then read up on the programs and educate yourself then make a decision. theres PLENTY of info on both websites.

now stop thinking and go train:D

now to open up another can of worms...

military athlete imo has the mindset of a Gym Jones but with the open community aspect of CrossFit:2c:

...military athlete imo has the mindset of a Gym Jone...

I dont get that at all... I have found Mark Twight to a rather pompous ass who believes GJ is the all end all; NOT. Personally I wouldnt beat the guy with a wet chain if he were on fire...

On the other hand Rob Shaul is a fairly humble guy who goes out of his way to offer support and assistance to anyone needing it even to the point of constantly repeating advice for those too lazy to red past questions....

YMMV

I dont get that at all... I have found Mark Twight to a rather pompous ass who believes GJ is the all end all; NOT. Personally I wouldnt beat the guy with a wet chain if he were on fire...

On the other hand Rob Shaul is a fairly humble guy who goes out of his way to offer support and assistance to anyone needing it even to the point of constantly repeating advice for those too lazy to red past questions....

YMMV

guess i worded that wrong. i was referring to the intensity and similar training styles. I agree 100% with everything you said. from what i can tell GJ does some intense training but try to keep this secret society elitist attitude which is off putting. i meant similar mindset as far as training.

Rob Shaul is exactly what you said...great coach in my book. Rob Shaul is actually more supportive than CF imo by the fact that he does take the time to answer questions and give advice. CF has a better infrastructure for FAQ's but i like Rob's more personal approach. He's always quick to get back to me on emails about Range Fitness and advice. unlike the comments on the WOD's on crossfit, Rob's Q&A sessions on the WOD's are insightful and educational. it actually gives me an idea of why he is punishing me:cool:

i really hope MA doesnt lose this aspect since MA has introduced their MA certification and gym "sponsorships".

txpj007,

I haven't been doing it yet because I just got back from an injury from football, and have been working out with my baseball team. I'm a junior in HS still, but I run at least 3 miles a day, plus run with whatever the baseball team does, plus lifting. I'm working on just an overall lifting right now to get my overall strength up. I haven't started a military specific training yet. The reason I've not been doing CF is a lack of time with the rest of my workouts.

I want to take my training to the next level. I feel like I do a lot as is, but I want to do more. I try to challenge myself as much as possible and right now, I just want to challenge my soul and take my fitness to the next level.

Actions speak louder than words and I'm just going to work my ass off until I have time to do CF or MA.

If only there were more hours in the day...

skywalker...

no worries brother. it wasnt an attack on you, just a question. i'd be worrying about over training coming off an injury, but again idk how recent it was or the extent and im not your doctor:)

since you're still in high school and very active in sports you might want to look into crossfitfootball.com. talk to you're coaches at high school. express your goals to them and see what they can do for you. you might consider showing them the CF football sight. my buddies a high school football coach. i showed it to him a while back and he put it into his program. one of the things i miss about high school is my coaches pushing me, thats one thing i love about the military. so take advantage of it bro.

if ya still have questions you know where this board is so don't be shy.

I have been doing Military Athlete and I have seen gains in everything except my run. The dude loves doing legs, and now I have to run a lot more and do MA to keep up my running. Other than that, it is a good site.

YMMV

Man I couldn't agree with you more about Mr. Twight. I think he is pompous as hell. I like the down to earth guys from Cross Fit and from MA. I know I get a lot out of MA and where I am at in Iraq in my what I like to call "Prison Gym" I can accomplish the work outs from MA. I see gains in all aspects except my running but I have began to run more now along with my MA work outs.

skywalker...

no worries brother. it wasnt an attack on you, just a question. i'd be worrying about over training coming off an injury, but again idk how recent it was or the extent and im not your doctor:)

Oh no, I didn't think you were attacking me just a simple question. :)

My third concussion, and upon viewing my MRI they found I have spinal stenosis. Doc won't let me play football anymore but from the research I've done having spinal stenosis won't exempt me from joining the military. So its not like it was a broken leg or something that isn't healed yet. ;)

since you're still in high school and very active in sports you might want to look into crossfitfootball.com. talk to you're coaches at high school. express your goals to them and see what they can do for you. you might consider showing them the CF football sight. my buddies a high school football coach. i showed it to him a while back and he put it into his program. one of the things i miss about high school is my coaches pushing me, thats one thing i love about the military. so take advantage of it bro.

I talked to my strength coach about it and what he knew about it. He said we basically do it after every workout.

Our workout is like this;

We run a bit, differs each day
We stretch
We go in and lift
Then we do this thing called 'Winners,' which are basically ways he finds to torcher us after the end of our workout. He said the 'Winners' we do everyday are basically a form of CF.
Then we stretch again.

And I usually run 2-3 miles before or after this.

So we do CF not everyday, but almost.

Its not a full WOD but it hits the essentials when we're already tired.

Those of you that are doing MA how are you incorporating long runs and rucks into the 5 day WODs? Just finishing up with his ruck based selection workout and I would like to transition back to his WODs after doing a big 24 cycle. I am just over 200lb and my runs tend to get weak if I do not stay on top of it.

A note on the his ruck based selection program: It felt like it was made exactly for my needs. My knees, back, and feet are stronger and more durable then I could have wished for. The program also pushes you not only physically, but mentally as well. I just wish I knew about MA before my last deployment, would have made the Hindu Kush a bit more tolerable.

When not deployed I ruck once a week, 10-12 miles. I also run a couple times a week, 3-5 miles, on my own if he doesn't have runs incorporated in the workout schedule. (I despise running BTW)

I'm with you, fuck running. Would you feel good going into phase two with 12 miles a week?

Nope.

And if I were somewhere that I carried a ruck more (like my trips to South America) I would include more of it in my programming. No matter what workout routine you follow you must remember it is designed to fit the majority of the needs of the group it was designed for. If you are expecting to ruck more in the future for either a training event (SUT/Robin Sage) or a deployment (South/Central America) you need to add more rucking to your sustainment routine. The same applies to swimming, walking in the mountains, etc...

HTH

Thanks, I have a better idea on how I want to set this up. I am just going to have to eat a crap load and watch for over-training.

Back