MKD Knives Combat Bowie WIP

Gary Melton

Verified SOF
Ok.. I mentioned this project once in a post and I have continued to get emails asking about it since. I promised as soon as I started it everyone here would be the first to know. This is the Melton Knife and Design, Combat Bowie. This is the first and largest of 3 sizes I have designed. I have been wanting to do this project for some time now but it took me a while to get the design right. I wanted to blend some modern design with the Classic Bowie. It had to have modern lines but still be immediately identifiable as a Bowie. This knife is made from slightly over 3/16” (.21) CPM S35VN stock.
OAL 13”, Blade Length 6.5” from tip to choil, Blade Width 2”CB Blank.JPG
Here we have the blank, we are going to clean up the edges and profile and then surface grind it. Flat Ground.JPG
Here we have blued the edge so we can scribe two lines approximately 1/16” or 50/1000’s apart. I will grind the edge down to just the outside edge. Any thinner and we will have issues during H/T (heat treat).
Blued.JPG
Edge Scribed.JPG Here I have started grinding the blade bevels. Still have a lot more grinding to do to bring the bevels to where I want them but this gives you an idea of what it will look like.
Bevels .JPG
Bevels 2.JPG This is one hell of a pig sticker! This is one of those knives that will perform any role you need it to except fit in your momma’s purse!in hand.JPG
Lot more work to do so I will post pics as we go along.
Any questions or comments feel free to post. Check out some of my other stuff at www.meltonknifeanddesign.com ! All Shadow Spear members get 15% off.
Enjoy!

Sweet baby Jesus, that is a big nasty piece of steel. I do believe I could almost cut a man in half with that.

Have you ever done a Khukri or a Parang Gary?

Yeah I agree that looks like it’s going to be a really badass knife!

I have a question about the way you grinded the blade bevels on the spine, it looks like it might interfere with trying to use the spine as a striking surface (i.e. using something to strike the top of the spine when splitting small strips of wood, ect)? Is the spine going to have an edge all the way back to the grind bevel line, or is that just a cosmetic look?

I like the look, I am just wondering about the application in field use (as for my personal use). If I wanted to order one with the grind bevel lines stopping at the swaged clip point or maybe just an inch past it, would that be possible?

Yeah I agree that looks like it’s going to be a really badass knife!

I have a question about the way you grinded the blade bevels on the spine, it looks like it might interfere with trying to use the spine as a striking surface (i.e. using something to strike the top of the spine when splitting small strips of wood, ect)? Is the spine going to have an edge all the way back to the grind bevel line, or is that just a cosmetic look?

I like the look, I am just wondering about the application in field use (as for my personal use). If I wanted to order one with the grind bevel lines stopping at the swaged clip point or maybe just an inch past it, would that be possible?

Jab, I dont plan to sharpen that top bevel. It's essentially a false edge. Allows for deeper penetration for stabs or thrusts. The false edge is going to stop where you see it and there is enough spine to still hammer on. As for can you order one without a top bevel? HELL YEAH brother!! I enjoy customizing items to the user and it's something people dont take advantage of enough. I think most people think they are going to "mess up" a knife by altering it or the like. If it's a bad idea I let the customer know and tell him why it is such and then we go from there. So yes.. we can do whatever you want within reason and even if it's real bad I will make it for you .. just wont put my name on it but what you have in mind is perfectly reasonable and makes sense. Thanks for checking it out!!

That is one beast of a knife!

Have you ever made a Smatchet?

Based on your above comments I'm guessing that is fairly straight forward too?

Jab, I dont plan to sharpen that top bevel. It's essentially a false edge. Allows for deeper penetration for stabs or thrusts. The false edge is going to stop where you see it and there is enough spine to still hammer on. As for can you order one without a top bevel? HELL YEAH brother!! I enjoy customizing items to the user and it's something people dont take advantage of enough. I think most people think they are going to "mess up" a knife by altering it or the like. If it's a bad idea I let the customer know and tell him why it is such and then we go from there. So yes.. we can do whatever you want within reason and even if it's real bad I will make it for you .. just wont put my name on it but what you have in mind is perfectly reasonable and makes sense. Thanks for checking it out!!

Fucking right on, sending your business POC an email here in a few…

That is one beast of a knife!

Have you ever made a Smatchet?

Based on your above comments I'm guessing that is fairly straight forward too?

Yeah.. pretty straight forward but I like where youre going. I think I am going to take you up on your challenge. I was just looking at some pics of some Smatchets and I think we can mondernize it a bit and sexy it up. I am putting it on the TO DO list Pardus. I'll let you know when start working on it.

Sounds good mate!

Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

Yeah.. pretty straight forward but I like where youre going. I think I am going to take you up on your challenge. I was just looking at some pics of some Smatchets and I think we can mondernize it a bit and sexy it up. I am putting it on the TO DO list Pardus. I'll let you know when start working on it.

Very cool Gary... thanks for post it... a question.. what about corrosion test?... Can I use it (not for diving of course) in contact with sea water?
Mike

Oh, I got this Question for ya Gary... CPM S35VN... corrosion resistance is pretty damn good... it'll swim, as long as you get it a BC of it's own...

I will be checking out the recently upgraded shop toys this weekend... I'll report back about the cool toys around the shop... and make sure I have my camera with me... and my sharpening gear to help out Mr M. in getting his edges nice and "cutty"

Oh, I got this Question for ya Gary... CPM S35VN... corrosion resistance is pretty damn good... it'll swim, as long as you get it a BC of it's own...

I will be checking out the recently upgraded shop toys this weekend... I'll report back about the cool toys around the shop... and make sure I have my camera with me... and my sharpening gear to help out Mr M. in getting his edges nice and "cutty"
Thanks Troll... you rule

Back