National Protest and 'disband the cops' discussion (please review page 1)

British Army was doing a 1.5 Mile warm up before the 1.5 mile for test. So again, not really sure on "the science". The Air Force and the Navy use 1.5 mile run in their PT test...and they're totally a standard to aspire to. šŸ™„

Most of the time the people that complain about the 2 mile run are really fat. Then you have a few of the super fit that also complain. YMMV

Well you lot had civilian graders because NCOs couldn't be trusted to deliver PT tests. Them got rid of the Civilian graders to bring back NCOs, but the NCOs couldn't be from your unit. So, pretty sure it has nothing to do with being harder than the country club. Slightly snark, but really not.

OK, you're being a dick now. Your sarcastic remarks add nothing to the discussion SIR.
The US Army and it's standards of PT (etc...) are NOTHING to be proud of, so check yourself and try and be a little humble, that's just my humble opinion, from someone who has served in the US Army, the New Zealand army, and worked with many other armies, you have nothing to crow about, trust me.

OK, you're being a dick now. Your sarcastic remarks add nothing to the discussion SIR.
The US Army and it's standards of PT (etc...) are NOTHING to be proud of, so check yourself and try and be a little humble, that's just my humble opinion, from someone who has served in the US Army, the New Zealand army, and worked with many other armies, you have nothing to crow about, trust me.
Didn't say they were good. But I definitely thought the 1.5 mile was weak and would go for a 3 miler. And generally, the entire time I was in the I worked out close to 20 hours a week because PT just didn't do it. And this was after doing some crazy sadistic shit like 500m of lunges and back across the bridge or "double APFTs" in pro masks.

The entire time I on active duty the policy of TRADOC for a private to "graduate" from OSUT was only a 150/300 provided they got 50 points in each category. And no matter how hard we PT'd some guys just don't workout on their own or are just slobs. And can't get over 60 in each event.

Oh and then when you're not working up for something, the joes are just validating their time until the day is over instead of doing organized workouts or company athletics as most commands are backwards. So I guess if we wanted to discuss the idiocy of US Army fitness culture I'm ready. šŸ˜€

LEO's, what's the average length of your foot chases? What's your longest?

The truth is that most foot pursuits span only a very few blocks. To be honest, it's never a matter of endurance--at least, not until the fight that normally happens if you catch them. It's a matter of speed. If you don't catch them in the 1st block or two, you're not catching them. At that point, it becomes a game of employing other strategies.

The Cooper Institute disagrees with you.
A lot of people touting science without links. I remember when we had to cite our sources and provide commentary for that link on this site. šŸ˜€

Cooper Test standards are also very defined and most LEAs "passing" time would not even be considered "good" on the Cooper Test table. It's also still an anaerobic test. But we can go back and forth on this.

If anyone thinks 1.5 miles is enough, fine. Not the point. The point is that to develop real fitness you have to invest A LOT of TIME to develop fitness. Most people don't, in any job that requires decent fitness.

A lot of people touting science without links. I remember when we had to cite our sources and provide commentary for that link on this site. šŸ˜€

Cooper Test standards are also very defined and most LEAs "passing" time would not even be considered "good" on the Cooper Test table. It's also still an anaerobic test. But we can go back and forth on this.

If anyone thinks 1.5 miles is enough, fine. Not the point. The point is that to develop real fitness you have to invest A LOT of TIME to develop fitness. Most people don't, in any job that requires decent fitness.

There's a reason why the Cooper's Test is the basis of pre-selection fitness testing for CANSOF units. And you're fully capable of using Google. I can pick numerous instances of you lacking sources in recent posts.

There's a reason why the Cooper's Test is the basis of pre-selection fitness testing for CANSOF units. And you're fully capable of using Google. I can pick numerous instances of you lacking sources in recent posts.

Well it's opinion. Not me touting "science".

The physical demands for aerobic capacity and anaerobic capacity are massive. Cooper Institute also considers the 1.5 Mile an anaerobic event, not an aerobic event. Which seems quite arbitrary when World Athletics considers anything over 800m to be a "mid-distance" event before you get to a half marathon.

But again, that's generally not the point of the discussion. The point of the discus was what is required to create LEOs with good fitness.

Well most LEAs don't test after their screener. So testing yearly would be a start...but that's a bit of a stick and not really proactive.

I like the full 12 minute Cooper test. It's more of an ass kicker than a 1.5 or 2 mile run.

It also seems like the 20m beep test is a good indicator of Vo2max.

Anyways, away from LEO fitness and to the whole "protest" topic:

Officer in Breonna Taylor case plead guilty.

A former Louisville detective pleaded guilty in federal court on Tuesday to helping falsify a search warrant that led to the killing of Breonna Taylor, a Black woman whose death fueled a wave of protests over police violence against people of color.

The former officer, Kelly Goodlett, entered her plea before U.S. District Court Judge Rebecca Grady Jennings in a federal court in Louisville, Kentucky, court records showed. <snip> Goodlett and a fellow former officer, Joshua Jaynes, met days after the shooting in a garage where they agreed on a false story to cover for the false evidence they had submitted to justify the botched raid, prosecutors say.

Federal prosecutors also charged Jaynes and current Sergeant Kyle Meany with civil rights violations and obstruction of justice for using false information to obtain the search warrant.

I like the full 12 minute Cooper test. It's more of an ass kicker than a 1.5 or 2 mile run.

Yes the Cooper Test was 12 minutes and the score was based on the distance one completed in that 12 minutes. Generally speaking in Imperial, 1.5 miles in 12 would be considered bad. 2 miles would be considered good. (In high school anyone who didn't hit 2 miles on day one of soccer practice had additional conditioning)

Wiki has the table: Cooper test - Wikipedia

_______

I saw that. I generally don't know what to think. They were cleared by a state court and then the FBI and DOJ decided to get political and go on a witch hunt. And now we have this.

Not to borrow from the Trump thread, but uh, the burden on LEOs required to get a warrant seems to be needing to be increased. I know the standard is "probably cause" but maybe need more paperwork. BUT, I also read the Louisville PD surveillance report on Breanna Taylor. It's over 90 pages. It might even be in this thread somewhere.

Further evidence that you often get punished more for the cover-up than you would have if you had just come clean.

The truth is that most foot pursuits span only a very few blocks. To be honest, it's never a matter of endurance--at least, not until the fight that normally happens if you catch them. It's a matter of speed. If you don't catch them in the 1st block or two, you're not catching them. At that point, it becomes a game of employing other strategies.
Canā€™t out run Motorola

Well it's opinion. Not me touting "science".

The physical demands for aerobic capacity and anaerobic capacity are massive. Cooper Institute also considers the 1.5 Mile an anaerobic event, not an aerobic event. Which seems quite arbitrary when World Athletics considers anything over 800m to be a "mid-distance" event before you get to a half marathon.

But again, that's generally not the point of the discussion. The point of the discus was what is required to create LEOs with good fitness.

Well most LEAs don't test after their screener. So testing yearly would be a start...but that's a bit of a stick and not really proactive.

What level of familiarity do you have with 'most LEAs'? Have you ever been a cop?

Regarding your (incorrect) statement on the 1.5 mile run, here is how the Cooper Institute views each event:

1. What fitness tests accurately measure the underlying fitness areas?
Aerobic Capacity (Cardiorespiratory) 1.5 Mile Run ***
Anaerobic Power (Sprinting Ability) 300 Meter Run ***
Anaerobic Power (Explosive Leg Strength) Vertical Jump***
Muscular Strength (Upper Body) 1 RM Bench Press ***
Muscular Endurance (Upper Body) 1 Minute Push-Ups **
Muscular Endurance (Core Body) 1 Minute Sit-Ups **
Muscular Strength (Lower Body) 1RM Leg Press*
Flexibility (Lower Back and Hamstrings) Sit-and-Reach*
Body Composition (Percent Body Fat) % Fat (caliper/underwater weighing/impedance)*
*** Is highly predictive of performing job tasks in all cases
** Is predictive of performing job tasks in most cases
* Is not predictive or is predictive in only a few cases

That's drawn from https://www.cooperinstitute.org/vault/2440/web/files/684.pdf .

Not to borrow from the Trump thread, but uh, the burden on LEOs required to get a warrant seems to be needing to be increased. I know the standard is "probably cause" but maybe need more paperwork. BUT, I also read the Louisville PD surveillance report on Breanna Taylor. It's over 90 pages. It might even be in this thread somewhere.

The probable cause standard is fine. It's set forth in the Constitution. That's not the issue.

The issue is that (some) cops need to stop lying and embarassing/damaging the rest of the profession.

Last edited:
Yeah, Iā€™d think that would go without saying, butā€¦.

The good thing is that there are very few of those. Iā€™ve only run into a couple in 30 years, and, wellā€¦theyā€™re no longer cops.

I donā€™t doubt your experiences, but I think it is more widespread. I know of two cases where the officers lied to IA, one even had a body cam(!), and they conspired to create a fictitious story. Then you had the GTTF in Baltimore where people died and still no one came forward.

The bulk of police are good people, but those who sit on their hands or ā€œsaw nothingā€ are as bad as the corrupt.

Back