New Army Fitness test @2020

Kraut783

SOF Support
WTH is going on with the Army...longer training...better PT test, changes that make sense.....a little scary :-)

“The more physically challenging your MOS, the more you’ll be required to do at the minimum levels,” said Michael McGurk, director of research and analysis at CIMT."

A new Army PT test is on its way. This is not a drill.

WTH is going on with the Army...longer training...better PT test, changes that make sense.....a little scary :-)

“The more physically challenging your MOS, the more you’ll be required to do at the minimum levels,” said Michael McGurk, director of research and analysis at CIMT."

A new Army PT test is on its way. This is not a drill.
I like it. The old standards barely measured a soldiers ability to accomplish his mission. But, with these new standards, I don't see the attrition rate suddenly improving. Get the banana suits back out!:-)

Eh, I always felt the let's change the PT test thing every two years was bloody annoying. In fact I think this one is just as stupid as some of the others. What I wanted was two separate tests like they do in the Marine Corps: PFT, CFT.

All this and The Army keeps the worlds worst way of measuring fat %. I think this newer PT TEST is a step in the right direction, I just wonder if the Army will mess this up like everything else.

:-x:ninja:

Has anyone taken the new ACFT yet? If anyone is actually interested in hearing my thoughts on it, I can go ahead and make a new thread.

Has anyone taken the new ACFT yet? If anyone is actually interested in hearing my thoughts on it, I can go ahead and make a new thread.
My unit did a familarization of events at our drill before last. Other than that, I with my brother over Christmas break using that scoring table that was released.

ETA: My constant PT failures managed to pass most of the events, even at the "rigorous" level. It's easy to pass, but will be hard to max out. I do like the fact that its gender/age neutral (for now) though.

My unit did a familarization of events at our drill before last. Other than that, I with my brother over Christmas break using that scoring table that was released.

ETA: My constant PT failures managed to pass most of the events, even at the "rigorous" level. It's easy to pass, but will be hard to max out. I do like the fact that its gender/age neutral (for now) though.

I took it yesterday for our 1st diagnostic and I have to say, I'm a fan of the new events. It will be nearly impossible to max out. I'm also glad it's on a neutral scale. It was ran efficiently, it's more competitive, especially in the 5x50m shuttles, and the run kicked my ass. I have some things to work on, but overall I averaged an 81%.

I took it today. The concerns about soldier injuries are warranted but unnecessary. Proper form and conduct of the test will limit any chance of injury.

Events are good, multifunctional.

HQDA is gathering data to see if there will be MOS or unit minimum standards. I’m a fan of the unit standard eg SFG and 75th.

I hope to God it stays unit standards and not MOS. I already don't like the guys in my FSC who pass bare minimum but then ask when they can go do cool guy shit with the team guys; I don't want it to be even easier for them.

What guidance did you guys get regarding the new push-ups event and leg tuck? That was still up in the air (as far as I know) when my unit did a familarization.

IE:

Push-ups: hands lifted up towards shoulders or arms extended out to the side

Leg tucks: flexed arms or dead hang

What guidance did you guys get regarding the new push-ups event and leg tuck? That was still up in the air (as far as I know) when my unit did a familarization.

IE:

We also did a familiarization. The guidance we received was thumb inline with inside of the shoulder blade for the push ups, but they only had us pull our hands off the ground and move right back into the pushup, no arms out to the side.

The leg tuck we went from dead hang, pull arms to a 90 degree angle whilst simultaneously bringing the knees up to meet with the elbows. Struggle city with those!

I am curious to see if schools will be adopting this PT test as the entrance standard.

I hope to God it stays unit standards and not MOS. I already don't like the guys in my FSC who pass bare minimum but then ask when they can go do cool guy shit with the team guys; I don't want it to be even easier for them.

IE:

Dead hang at bottom but I bent my arms on the way up

Hands lifted, whichever way soldier feels comfortable, just have to be back in same place underneath shoulders

I took it today. The concerns about soldier injuries are warranted but unnecessary. Proper form and conduct of the test will limit any chance of injury.

Events are good, multifunctional.

HQDA is gathering data to see if there will be MOS or unit minimum standards. I’m a fan of the unit standard eg SFG and 75th.

I'm not sure if it's our unit requirement or THE requirement, but everyone will go through some level of military fitness instructor training before they can grade the ACFT. It will definitely provide a more uniform standard as well as some knowledge to step in as a safety if a tester has bad form.

IE:

Push up for us was index finger in line with shoulder blades, anything further out did not count. We were instructed to lift up in place, but during our AAR, we were told we'd have the option to swing our arms out. I'd probably stick with in place release. I'm not a fan of having a max booth width distance between my feet, but it is what it is. Dead hang during the LTK and before you dismount your last rep must have a controlled movement downward with a hold.

Has anyone witnessed a max score for the medicine ball throw? I only hit 10.6 and I consider myself mildly strong and extremely athletic.

I maxed the deadlift and leg lifts, the P/U’s I did half of what I normally do regular, hurt like hell on my shoulders, the sprint drag carry almost kicked my ass. The run I ended up 2 minutes longer then my normal run. The event took way long too get us through it. Made the black. I noticed the taller lanky dudes where averaging farther throws with the ball vs the short guys, mechanical advantage with long arms. I don’t know, I think those pushups should go back to the normal. Also I see that maxing all events is darn near impossible unless your a super athlete, and who’s going to have time to do those events every other day in a normal gym? I guess I need to invest in a drag sled now.

Some of the other, more mature and more experienced members here can tell you about the old 5 event pt test... which isn't much different than the new test. Horizontal ladder instead of leg ups, and shuttle run instead of the sled drag.

Get the banana suits back out!:-)
Like this guy

This new test seems geared towards explosiveness; interesting change, on the surface it seems more practical. Wonder how long it will be until we see push-jerks in it ; /

I'm not sure if it's our unit requirement or THE requirement, but everyone will go through some level of military fitness instructor training before they can grade the ACFT. It will definitely provide a more uniform standard as well as some knowledge to step in as a safety if a tester has bad form.

Push up for us was index finger in line with shoulder blades, anything further out did not count. We were instructed to lift up in place, but during our AAR, we were told we'd have the option to swing our arms out. I'd probably stick with in place release. I'm not a fan of having a max booth width distance between my feet, but it is what it is. Dead hang during the LTK and before you dismount your last rep must have a controlled movement downward with a hold.

Has anyone witnessed a max score for the medicine ball throw? I only hit 10.6 and I consider myself mildly strong and extremely athletic.

Having everyone do training with the MFT before being allowed to grade is an excellent idea. Really, just a few hours to focus on deadlift/power throw will help cut back on possible injuries.
We had one guy get a 14.2 M throw; he's the resident competitive powerlifter.

I maxed the deadlift and leg lifts, the P/U’s I did half of what I normally do regular, hurt like hell on my shoulders, the sprint drag carry almost kicked my ass. The run I ended up 2 minutes longer then my normal run. The event took way long too get us through it. Made the black. I noticed the taller lanky dudes where averaging farther throws with the ball vs the short guys, mechanical advantage with long arms. I don’t know, I think those pushups should go back to the normal. Also I see that maxing all events is darn near impossible unless your a super athlete, and who’s going to have time to do those events every other day in a normal gym? I guess I need to invest in a drag sled now.

The new pushup takes some getting used to, I also saw my numbers cut in half the first time. I didn't realize the simple act of lifting your hands engages your back a ton as well; I threw more rows into my workouts and managed to get back to a normal number.

Having everyone do training with the MFT before being allowed to grade is an excellent idea. Really, just a few hours to focus on deadlift/power throw will help cut back on possible injuries.
We had one guy get a 14.2 M throw; he's the resident competitive powerlifter.

The new pushup takes some getting used to, I also saw my numbers cut in half the first time. I didn't realize the simple act of lifting your hands engages your back a ton as well; I threw more rows into my workouts and managed to get back to a normal number.
It's definitely hard to deviate from the standard when you're forced to go all the way down, lift, then all the way up, with a boot width between your feet and hands no further out than the shoulders. All in all, I believe there's a more uniform standard. No more discretion between what really counts as a rep.

So the Army is postponing the new physical fitness tests because of the Chinese coronavirus.

I'm just sayin', if they want to postpone it another... three years and two months--for no particular reason--that's be FINE with me.

ACFT rollout suspended until further notice over COVID-19 concerns

All ACFT diagnostic tests, which the entire force was supposed to take before it officially rolled out in the fall, are also suspended. The timeline for when the new test will officially arrive has not yet been issued.

Back