New Army Fitness test @2020

Back when Jesus was a private in the 1980s, before the adoption of the APFT. Army Fitness standards were specific by MOS. There was something like 20 events for the fitness test that were then grouped by what MOS you had. For the most part there were three basic events across MOSs.

On this same sheet it had prescribed events for a CFT.

I know the fat guys in the unit always said the Tape Test wasn't accurate and they always said the two mile run wasn't a good test of their fitness because they lifted (they didn't). I've heard every excuse from sunrise to sundown on why the APFT was a bad test. Literally in the manual it talks about "general fitness" not combat fitness. The APFT was about you taking care of yourself.

Why in the world the Army just didn't follow the Marine Corps and layer on a CFT I'll never know. Clearly someone at HQ thought they needed an MSM for their ORB before a promotion board.

Will the ACFT actually change fitness culture in units? I like that brigades are investing in the s&c tools, but none of that matters if your Soldiers don't get released early enough to go use that shit, or if you put afternoon PT in your company training plan. More often than not you have soldiers play tiddly winks in the COF for hours on end because Commanders and First Sergeants have to validate their time.

No ACFT information or ACFT data (including diagnostic ACFT test results) will be entered on an evaluation report having an evaluation “Thru Date” prior to 01 October 2022

Until OCTOBER? What is this, like two YEARS that we haven't been doing for-record PT tests because the ACFT is so dorked up and politically controversial?

The ACFT really is the "ACU" of Army fitness. Just ditch it and go back to the old one with some minor mods, just like we did with the BDU-->OCP.

...The ball throw is fun, but I’m still not really sure what action that mimics. I’ve been in the Army 25 years and have never needed to throw a ten-pound round object backwards over my head for distance...

That's so you can throw all the bullshit down the chain of command. ;-)

Last edited:
We couldn't do ONE leg tuck, huh?? Now I have to do a 3 minute plank.
Sheryl Lee Ralph No GIF by ABC Network

#DD214

Who do I gotta give sexual favors too so the Army can finally have a damn PT Test?
(Good link)

Keep the current ACFT as is and just add in the new EIB/EFMB/ESB proposed test to get into a combat MOS.

I'm over having to readjust my damn PT program for the unit every 6 months.

The Army should never have changed from the the three-event standard that they had. Let the different branches/units have different standards on top of those baselines, but "one PT test to rule them all." That's the one that everyone, gender/age inclusive, has to adhere to.

...but they didn't do that, because of #equality

...and now we're still fucking around with this thing, something like 4 years in. It's ridiculous.

The Army should never have changed from the the three-event standard that they had. Let the different branches/units have different standards on top of those baselines, but "one PT test to rule them all." That's the one that everyone, gender/age inclusive, has to adhere to.

...and now we're still fucking around with this thing, something like 4 years in. It's ridiculous.

I think I'd have to count the amount of posts where I'd said the same thing...but then I'd be counting posts like when @Ooh-Rah posts about that breakfast food.

Wait...the Army still doesn't have a PT test after 4 YEARS? There's a new recruiting ribbon, but not a PT test? This isn't R&D for a new tank or helicopter. Everything the Army has focused on, but a PT test isn't kind of a priority? The Chief of Staff for the Army (McConville) has been in place since 2019 and couldn't figure this out? "Near peer" isn't our biggest problem...

I like the ACFT. Now that I've led it a bunch of times and have a couple interations of data, I feel comfortable saying it's a better overall test of a soldier's fitness than the old 3 event one ever was. I'd really like to get the ruck times for everyone (in my AO) and see if there's a correlation there as well.

The problem isn't the army (for once), but the political back and forth.
This thing went live in Oct 2022 for the AD component and goes live Apr 2023 for reserve.

The most recent NDAA is giving them until June to have a gender neutral test again. Almost every major change to the test has been because of Congress.

Wait...the Army still doesn't have a PT test after 4 YEARS? There's a new recruiting ribbon, but not a PT test? This isn't R&D for a new tank or helicopter. Everything the Army has focused on, but a PT test isn't kind of a priority? The Chief of Staff for the Army (McConville) has been in place since 2019 and couldn't figure this out? "Near peer" isn't our biggest problem...

To quote the great paraquote of Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, "we have met the enemy, and he he is us."

ACFT is great, IMO. I thought it was fun and made for a competitive event with the entire line going at it. But nooooo, all those people that couldn't do one leg tuck ruined it for everyone...

;-)

And in my day we did the run-dodge-jump and parallel bars along with the run and straight leg sit-ups. Plus a few other events to include pushups. Remember we had to do the PT test in field uniform and boots.

And in my day we did the run-dodge-jump and parallel bars along with the run and straight leg sit-ups. Plus a few other events to include pushups. Remember we had to do the PT test in field uniform and boots.

I remember my dad (USMC 1954-75) doing his PT and tests in boots and shorts, and some unit PT is boots-and-utes.

Back