Newsweek - 'Lone Survivor' savior says Luttrell abandoned him

I don't know if there is any Afghan community in Ft. Worth or how expatriate Afghans interact with each other.

The Vietnamese communities in the US after the fall of Saigon stuck together and helped each other out. Most of the original Vietnamese who came here were those from the more urban areas, those who had worked with Americans on bases, who worked for the SVN government, ARVN or VNAF officers and their families, so many of them were educated and most knew at least some English. They are an industrious and practical people so they made sure their kids got into schools.

The dirt poor Vietnamese farmers I knew who lived in thatched huts with dirt floors, got water from a bucket in a well, shit on their crops for fertilizer and chewed beetle nut until their teeth were black, didn't come here. Like all farmers they stayed on the land and worked their fields and tried to carry on despite the killing going on around them and the inevitable civilian deaths.

The Afghans from rural areas would probably be more like those humble Vietnamese rice farmers...You go from dirt floors and mountains and goats to an apartment complex in Ft Worth, you're going to have some culture shock issues.

Last edited:
...Gulab can bitch and moan about his situation, or he can find peace in the fact that his children and grandchildren have boundless opportunity ahead of them.

And not only that, he is being helped. He's getting more help than the average immigrant. He's bitching that Luttrell isn't helping anymore and didn't get behind the book deal, but they'd already had a big falling out by that time. I get the impression from the article the guy turned into a leech.

Was he involved in, or did he contribute to the making of the film?
Probably not. However, his name and likeness are certainly used. Not a lawyer here, but I imagine you could make the case that he is entitled to some portion of the films profits because of this.

Edit: Though I suppose this would be a moot point if he signed that away.

This article sheds some more light on why relations between Ghulab and Luttrell went south. It also appears that Ghulab was part of the marketing campaign for the movie: Navy SEAL's Savior Mohammad Gulab Marked for Death by Taliban

Last edited:
And not only that, he is being helped. He's getting more help than the average immigrant.

He is being helped a damn sight more than I was when I immigrated here!

Probably not. However, his name and likeness are certainly used. Not a lawyer here, but I imagine you could make the case that he is entitled to some portion of the films profits because of this.

This article sheds some more light on why relations between Ghulab and Luttrell went south. It also appears that Ghulab was part of the marketing campaign for the movie: Navy SEAL's Savior Mohammad Gulab Marked for Death by Taliban

I'm sure if there is any case here, that a lawyer somewhere will take it up and sue everyone involved on behalf of Ghulab.

It looks to me that they brought him over to promote the film and dumped him when they didn't need him any more.

Outcome is the same. His life has been saved from murder at the hands of the Taliban.
He, his family and generations of his future family will benefit from this.

He was entitled to be compensated. I didn't search too hard, but I didn't find that he was compensated by the studio for his participation in film or it's promotion.

If he signed a release, in order for it to be legally binding, he'd have to understand what he was signing away.

Raise your hand if you saved a NAVY SEAL's life and put your family in danger to do so.

Politics aside, what would you do for the man that saved your life?
a-Thank you card and a fruit basket from edible arrangements
b-Bring him to America
c-Make sure he is on his feet and can support his family like a man should

Before I read the article I thought it was messed up but after reading the article I think that Luttrell did enough.

So I think Luttrell did all that he could, I mean who knows what that falling out could be. My guess would be money had a part in the falling out.

1. Gulab got to the USA, I'm sure it was due to Luttrell assistance
2. Luttrell met him at airport and helped him until they had a "falling out"

My family were immigrants and were on food stamps or whatever it was called back then. The Army opened many doors after I got out and now I'm solidly in the middle class.

Point is he's in America now, how much is that worth? Well in my opinion that's easily worth a million dollar. Opportunities are everywhere in the US. You can be on various benefits and still live better than most people in foreign countries.

After reading a few things about it, sounds like he was trying to blackmail Luttrell by contradicting the official storyline of what happened. Kinda money or I say this happened type thing. Apparently Luttrell has given him several thousands of dollars, invested time with him, got him a book deal and got him and his family to America. After doing all that, to do a 180 and full on ignore him now, Gulab must of said or done something really fucked up.

$.02

Edit: Marines and Afghan who saved Marcus Luttrell say “Lone Survivor” was lie

Last edited:
I'm not buying the Afghan's version of the firefight because he wasn't there and neither were the Marine officers who seem to be disputing Luttrell's story.

Maybe there was a bit of dramatic embellishment for the book or the film but anybody who's been in the shit can look at the cold facts, 3 SEALs dead and a react helo shot down with 8 SEALs and 8 Nightstalkers killed and know this was a motherfucker of a firefight. And the Taliban had ample time to recover their dead and wounded so nobody really knows how many Taliban there were.

Last edited:
There is a Taliban video of portions of the operation red wings gun fight. There was a lot more than a squads worth of tali, but the 200 is way over the top. I think they got attacked by a platoon size element. To think Marcus would be shot multiple times and watched his brothers die and not have fired on the enemy, is silly (he had eleven full mags). I'm not buying what Gulab is selling at all. Ammo goes real fucking fast when you're suppressing and bounding, especially as a 4 man team.

Last edited:
That Marine is out of his damn mind to claim there were not 35 Taliban fighters in the whole valley that day. There has never NOT been 35 fighters in the Korengal. Sure, they may fight some days and lay low on others, but they are there.

Also, Luttrell was recovered by Army SOF- sorry Marine officer glory hound.

Last edited:
That Marine is out of his damn mind to claim there were not 35 Taliban fighters in the whole valley that day. There has never NOT been 35 fighters in the Korengal. Sure, they may fight some days and lay low on others, but they are there.

Also, Luttrell was recovered by Army SOF- sorry Marine officer glory hound.

Luttrell jokingly stated he would never live down the fact he was rescued by Army Rangers.

There is a Taliban video of portions of the operation red wings gun fight. There was a lot more than a squads worth of tali, but the 200 is way over the top. I think they got attacked by a platoon size element. To think Marcus would be shot multiple times and watched his brother die and not have fired on the enemy, is silly (he had eleven full mags). I'm not buying what Gulab is selling at all. Ammo goes real fucking fast when you're suppressing and bounding, especially as a 4 man team.
The size of Taliban elements is hard to judge in a lot of cases. In areas like Western Kandahar, Helmand, Kunar, etc. passive support for the Taliban could include the whole population. You have the legit, hardcore fighters who will battle till the end, and you have the local farmers who will come along. The locals may blast one or two mags on full auto to show their support, then melt back into the population. When you have 10-20 professional fighters wrangling another 30 auxiliaries, things can get hairy pretty quick.

Last edited:
Luttrell jokingly stated he would never live down the fact he was rescued by Army Rangers.

They've re-written the Ranger Creed.

Recognizing...etc
Acknowledging...etc
Never...etc
Gallantly...etc
Energetically...etc
Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude to run QRF whenever Navy SEALs need to be pulled off some fucking mountaintop where they've become surrounded and hopelessly outnumbered. :sneaky::D

They've re-written the Ranger Creed.

Recognizing...etc
Acknowledging...etc
Never...etc
Gallantly...etc
Energetically...etc
Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude to run QRF whenever Navy SEALs need to be pulled off some fucking mountaintop where they've become surrounded and hopelessly outnumbered. :sneaky::D
It seems to be a recurring event....

Back