No muzzle rise on full-auto...

Re the second video:
Is that the new way to hold a rifle when firing? His off-arm looked to be in a very odd position..... Almost like he was trying to get his hand on top of the rifle to hold the muzzle down.
I guess you didn't see the MagPul videos when they came out then. :D

and? What larger round? I must have missed something. Rifle design, AR platform is designed that way for that reason. What do you think causes muzzle lift? Stock drop.
What txpj007 said, H.

Here's another video of it with Chen using one hand:

Re the second video:
Is that the new way to hold a rifle when firing? His off-arm looked to be in a very odd position..... Almost like he was trying to get his hand on top of the rifle to hold the muzzle down. The guy in the first video had his elbow flared out too, although his hand wasn't in the same position as the guy in the sercond video. Seems a rather awkward position for shooting, a good way to get an elbow blown off, and completely unfeasible for room clearing/moving in a congested area.

I don’t teach or use the high elbow/low bore axis technique with a rifle (I think it’s kind of dumb to be honest) but I do teach the thumb over the top or pointing the index finger down the side of the RAS. I teach people to extend their hand out on the RAS as far as they physically feel comfortable for CQM/SRM type shooting. The arm/hand extended does nothing for recoil (regardless what some may tell you) but makes all the difference in the world for driving the gun/sights back to the target or to the next target. Recoil is controlled through some body positioning, but mainly flexing at the waist, bending the knees and having an aggressive fighter/athletic stance. Of course having huge muzzle breaks and heavy buffers help reduce/eliminate recoil.

I missed the second video. Recently, on posting a link from You Tube, it seems to double post. Sorry for that and thanks for the answer. My comment was on design. Older style rifles, such as the M14, there was a bit of stock drop. The recoil will push straight back on the axis of the barrel. If the point that contact the should is below that line/axis it will cause barrel lift. The AR design is to mitigate lift. Interesting to see how the off arm is used. I still think stock placement important, especially with higher power cartridges.

^^^ as far as recoil control, JAB says it.

High elbow was for the older style rifles, M1 Garand, M14. So pulling the rifle back into the shoulder reduced felt recoil. Other wise the stock would club the shoulder.

Thumb over bore is very efficient for a number of reasons, but I don't personally feel recoil control is among them. I believe Hollis is right regarding stock design and placement in this regard.

The recoil impulse on the AR platform is designed to translate directly rearwards to the buffer tube. This is pretty much a straight path, and therefore muzzle rise should be minimal if proper fundamentals are applied-as Hollis and JAB have stated. Where I spend my time correcting shooters is in stock placement, since a lot of them like to mount the stock in such a way that the buffer tube is unsupported by the shoulder or chest. This provides a fulcrum for recoil to act on, and muzzle flip is consequently dramatically increased with a concurrent increase in split times.

Back