Notre Dame is burning down

Investigators are leaning towards an electrical short being the probable cause of the fire

Notre Dame fire was probably caused by electrical short-circuit, police official says
If anything, that article raises more questions than answers. Fire starting during the evening mass is sketchy too. Specifically in regards to the ease in which unscrupulous characters could be able to infil in plain sight, place an incendiary device unnoticed, and exfil with a panicked post-mass crowd.

If something had gone worse, the whole situation could have turned into a mass casualty event. Something just doesn't pass the sniff test.

Is it the lack of information that's providing a distinct lack of odour?
Or is it your lack of you living in “The Home of the Free and the Brave” that you can offer up a statement like that? You will never know what 9/11 felt to the United States of America. Until you know what it feels like to the normal citizen,or a veteran. I would keep on keeping NZ straight and quit trying to tell us how we should live.

Or is it your lack of you living in “The Home of the Free and the Brave” that you can offer up a statement like that? Yoou will never know what 9/11 felt to the United States of America. Until you know what it feels like to the normal citizen,or a veteran. I would keep on keeping NZ straight and quit trying to tell us how we should live.

I'm not doing that at all. I'm not making any value calls just that there's no information to make a call at all let alone one that can or can't be sniffed..

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

I guess when your country doesn't deal with the rest of the world's problems it's pretty easy to sit in judgment of everyone else. I bet if you go ask the random German, Swizz or French citizen what they think of "Muslim" immigrants, they wouldn't be so fast to defend them. Especially being that all three of those countries took in the masses to turn around and deal with the cultural problems and inabilities or out right refusal of those immigrants to assimilate to national culture and laws. Dealing with robberies, rapes, murders, motherfuckers just randomly shitting in public, to terrorism, destruction of property, etc, etc.

How many Christian churches have been firebombed in New Zealand or Ireland in the last couple years? How many mass killings in the name of Islam? How many rapes and assaults on women?

You can take your moral high ground arguments and shove them right up your ass. Especially if you ain't got any skin in the game to begin with.

One of the things that annoys me is all the virtue signaling going on by assholes with a platform. Yeah, people are donating money to rebuild an irreplaceable Cathedral. You complain about feeding the poor etc. The Catholic Church spends millions if not billions of dollars yearly through it's charities to feed the poor and provide things like prosthetics, appliances, etc. to the poor.

I'll be the first to point out if any compelling evidence comes out to suggest it really was a complete accident, as opposed to an accident that had a little help. In the meantime there are some interesting articles going around in the French press, citing the ex-chief architect of the Notre Dame.

Notre-Dame : après l'incendie, "rien n'est fini" selon l'ex-architecte en chef

I don’t understand this at all. The fire’s spread is extremely curious. With really old oak like that, it’s super hard, so you’d need a lot of smaller wood to first get the fire hot enough for the oak beams to burn.

In 2010 we replaced all the electrical wiring, so there’s no way this was sparked by a short-circuit. We put new wiring in place according to modern standards. And we went even further; we installed state-of-the-art fire protection and detection systems in the cathedral.

At all times, there are always two men on standby in the Cathedral, day and night, to go investigate anything the moment an alarm goes off, then if necessary to call the fire emergency services.

I am really stunned that this has happened. It’s incomprehensible. In 40 years of experience, I have never heard of a fire like this.

It would take a really combustible load at the start of such a fire for it to rapidly develop into the disaster we saw. Also, oak is a particularly fire-resistant wood.

The fire detection/protection system installed in the cathedral was of the highest level. It was a very expensive undertaking, but it enabled us to quickly ascertain whether a fire had started somewhere. Additionally, we had many old wooden doors replaced by fire doors.

There is some talking about issues with the lack of fire alarms/sprinklers....

"But many in France are furious officials did not install a fire system in the roof space which could contained the blaze.
It turned out that it was feared the electricity supplying the sprinklers and alarms would itself spark a blaze. So they were banned.
Pierre Housieaux, president of the Paris Historical Association, told the New York Times: “There had been a systematic refusal to install anything electrical."

Notre-Dame Attic Was Known as ‘the Forest.’ And It Burned Like One.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out of all this....

I'm not doing that at all. I'm not making any value calls just that there's no information to make a call at all let alone one that can or can't be sniffed..

Insufficient information at this point to make any judgement call...but we're all free to speculate about possibilities, including terrorism. And given the jihadist track record, as I wrote earlier, it's neither unjust or unreasonable to place it on the suspect list along with other causes.

Last edited:
I’m unsure as to the cause of this, but I’ll keep my opinion to myself, tensions are high anyway.

Kind of sucks to see all this un rest across the world.

Being a kid growing up in the era of “insurgency” and “terrorism” it sucks feeling powerless to do anything. Especially as a young guy in a command that prides itself being “in the business of killin’”. Not that I desire to go out and stack bodies or anything, but I sure would like to stop handing out motrin and hand out a little discontent and help provide stability where it is needed.
Plus the Marine Corps used to be the force that was ready when nobody else was and fought small battles all over the world.

Guess I’m off topic, I will say I don’t have the information but the way that fire lit up and spread so rapidly definitely would put arson on my mind, but old buildings tend to burn and burn fast. They often catch fire “for no reason”. I have a feeling the official statement will be “undetermined cause” as is the case with a lot of probable arsons. Companies tend to have logs and such and there’s a trail to follow to the cause of accidental fires. Usually anyways. There’s my .02

I’m sure he already is.

So, why are people donating money to a tax free $30b corporation again?

I don’t really care to get into ideology here but the Catholic Church is in no way hurting for money to rebuild.

Cmon man. Really?

Now, to answer the actual question Loi du 9 décembre 1905 concernant la séparation des Églises et de l'État.

In effect seized all major public religious worship centers and made them property of the state. From Major Cathedrals to Monasteries. But this did not just affect the Catholic faith, but also Lutherans, Jews etc. So major Synagogues in France are owned by the State etc. The idea is apparently at the time with the establishment of "French Secularism" that the government is fully neutral. There's a whole lot of other stuff in the law, but this is the property issue.

Last edited:
Back