Official Ukraine/Georgian Thread

US Trainers To Deploy To Ukraine
WASHINGTON — American soldiers will deploy to Ukraine this spring to begin training four companies of the Ukrainian National Guard, the head of US Army Europe Lt. Gen Ben Hodges said during his first visit to Kiev on Wednesday.

The number of troops heading to the Yavoriv Training Area near the city of L'viv — which is about 40 miles from the Polish border — is still being determined, however.

The American training effort comes as part of a US State Department initiative "to assist Ukraine in strengthening its law enforcement capabilities, conduct internal defense, and maintain rule of law" Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. Vanessa Hillman told Defense News.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/land/army/2015/01/21/ukraine-us-army-russia/22119315/

Been half-ass following this, but after finding this yesterday, I may have to rethink that.

US Trainers To Deploy To Ukraine
WASHINGTON — American soldiers will deploy to Ukraine this spring to begin training four companies of the Ukrainian National Guard, the head of US Army Europe Lt. Gen Ben Hodges said during his first visit to Kiev on Wednesday.

The number of troops heading to the Yavoriv Training Area near the city of L'viv — which is about 40 miles from the Polish border — is still being determined, however.

The American training effort comes as part of a US State Department initiative "to assist Ukraine in strengthening its law enforcement capabilities, conduct internal defense, and maintain rule of law" Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. Vanessa Hillman told Defense News.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/land/army/2015/01/21/ukraine-us-army-russia/22119315/

Been half-ass following this, but after finding this yesterday, I may have to rethink that.
How would this impact you?

It is important to me to keep up with the foreign policy our country is implementing along with where our soldiers are being deployed. I wasn't really following this because I didn't think that we would actually send soldiers over there until I read this link.

Also, I can take a few guesses as to which units may be sent, and seeing that I am likely aspiring to join one of those units, I believe that it could only be beneficial to follow and learn whatever I can about the situation whether it is the situation on the ground (however unlikely I may see that) or the political decisions made by the leadership tasking those units.

I'm also reading Pete Blaber's book on leadership, so I really want to use the conflict in Ukraine as a sort of "what would I do situation" for some mental development and preparation.

I really hope I didn't derail the thread because there is an interesting order of events playing out that might attribute to instability in the Caucasus and Ukraine

Personally I don't see this ceasefire, or any subsequent ceasefires, holding until Russia secures a land corridor to Crimea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31561769

"Russian government supporters are to rally in the capital Moscow and other parts of the country to mark the first anniversary of what they view as the "coup" in neighbouring Ukraine.

Russia's state media are promoting the event under the slogan "We won't forget! We won't forgive!"

It's amazing anyone still tries to defend them in the face of their actions and, as seen here, their behaviours.

Vice also puts out some complete garbage and are bit left leaning in situations.. but their Ukraine stuff is great.

Interesting. Whether through selective access, selective editing, simple fact, or some other reason, the DNR in those videos appear to be more competent than the Ukrainian forces, unfortunately.

DNR = Russia. By proxy or actually. What do you expect?

DNR = Russia. By proxy or actually. What do you expect?
Touche. On the surface it doesn't seem to bode well for Mariupol. Still, the differences in the way they are presented are striking; ie the clown firing a shot into the ground vs restoring services, holding socials, etc. At least from Vice's reporting, one is doing a significantly better job in the PR arena.

Back