Orlando shooting

This was not a SWAT problem.

“We just basically stayed there, waited for movement, and we just held our position until SWAT got there,” said Cornwell. “Once SWAT got there they told us to retreat, that they’d take over because we were not really in tactical gear — we were just in our police uniforms.” Cornwell estimates that it took 15 to 20 minutes, “maybe longer” for the SWAT team to arrive.
Did An Ill-Advised Stand-Down Order Cost Lives In Orlando?

Seems like there's a difference of opinion

Color me surprised - :hmm:

AG Lynch Admits the FBI Has Lost Track of Omar Mateen’s Wife

Attorney General Loretta Lynch admitted today that the FBI is unaware of the whereabouts of Omar Mateen's wife, Noor Salman.

Salman has indicated she suspected Mateen was about to commit a terrorist attack, and even accompanied him to buy the weaponry he used to carry out the massacre. She insists, however, that as he left she tried to hold onto his arm so he wouldn't leave. If the FBI believes she was aware of the impending attack, she could be prosecuted.

"Has the shooter’s wife left the state of Florida?" a reporter asked Lynch during her press conference Tuesday."Right now, I don’t know exactly the answer to that," Lynch candidly replied. "I believe she was going to travel but I do not know exactly her location now."

Based on that article, I don't see that the responding officers or the decision to bring in SWAT was wrong. I won't dive into details, but their actions are consistent with the active shooter response training program I was involved with.

I'm not saying the patrol officers wouldn't have been successful in storming that bathroom and killing the shooter. However, they probably would have taken a loss or two and possibly changed a shit situation worse. I won't spell it out, but if I were barricaded in a bathroom, with a 5.56 semi auto, and 30 hostage's, it would be a bad fuckin day for a contact team of patrol officers to breach the only entry point, for the officers and the hostages. Once the shooter took hostage's and was barricaded in a small bathroom with one entry point, it was time for SWAT to take over. Emergency assault for active killing sure, but if they kept him buttoned up, got him on the phone talking, and ultimately breached and killed the fucker, I'm not seeing the problem.

$.02

So I don't know where you're coming from.

All right. Let me break it down, Barney style. Cutting through all the clutter, your overall point of contention is this: If there had been a FULL TIME SWAT TEAM that responded during this incident in particular, (Whether phrased in the form of your questions or statements) your belief is there would have been a difference.

My experience is limited, but informed.

Mine is my background in LE.

All right. Let me break it down, Barney style. Cutting through all the clutter, your overall point of contention is this: If there had been a FULL TIME SWAT TEAM that responded during this incident in particular, (Whether phrased in the form of your questions or statements) your belief is there would have been a difference.

Based on that article I quoted, patrol responded in under a minute from the call, they contained the shooter in a bathroom full of hostages and SWAT relieved them in 20 minutes. Full time or part time team, that's an impressive response time IMO.

I only asked if it would have made a difference. This is a point of discussion, not contention, and a couple of responded appropriately. I agree with @Diamondback 2/2 that it was an impressive response time for SWAT to be mobilized from each of their respective full-time roles to the scene.

My contention was that there is a difference between full-time and part-time SWAT. I came back with sources and my limited experience as a rebuttal to you and @policemedic, nothing more. I don't believe there is an issue here and that you just misunderstood the discourse.

This is a point of discussion, not contention

My contention was that there is a difference between full-time and part-time SWAT.

Dude, do you even think about what it is you post? I believe that's exactly what I just said in my last post. Geezus. I could care less about being right or having the last word, but honestly, this is ridiculous.

I don't believe there is an issue here and that you just misunderstood the discourse.

Yeah, you're right. It was me that misunderstood it. :rolleyes:

"My contention was that there is a difference between full-time and part-time SWAT"

I think it all depends on how busy any team is, as far as experience. Dallas has a full time SWAT team (three teams, that rotate) a lot of experience. Garland SWAT is a part time team, and they are very good and have tons of experience. I have trained with both and my SWAT basic was with Garland SWAT. I see no difference with the level of ability of either one of them.

"My contention was that there is a difference between full-time and part-time SWAT"

I think it all depends on how busy any team is, as far as experience. Dallas has a full time SWAT team (three teams, that rotate) a lot of experience. Garland SWAT is a part time team, and they are very good and have tons of experience. I have trained with both and my SWAT basic was with Garland SWAT. I see no difference with the level of ability of either one of them.

I cannot agree more with you on Garland SWAT, I've trained with several of their officers at a few courses. Dudes are locked the fuck on...

I think the differences between part time and full time teams, are the under equipped, under funded and under trained teams. The types that did a SWAT basic course and formed a team, but just don't have the kit, experience or training. Most of those types of part time teams, I don't even really consider a legitimate SWAT team, and are more of a fan boy warrant service team. Anything big goes down they are calling the closest real team and are pulling perimeter.

Texas has some really good teams, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin , Houston, are all top notch teams, on a level above and beyond what you normally expect. There are also countless teams like Garland that just have rock solid teams that are as good (if not better) than many other large metro full time teams. I think the TTPOA has alot to do with that, especially the work they did developing high standards for SWAT teams enforced by the commission, etc. That and they have been very consistent in putting on really good training all over the state. Really good association to be a member of.

$.02

Color me surprised - :hmm:

AG Lynch Admits the FBI Has Lost Track of Omar Mateen’s Wife

Attorney General Loretta Lynch admitted today that the FBI is unaware of the whereabouts of Omar Mateen's wife, Noor Salman.

Salman has indicated she suspected Mateen was about to commit a terrorist attack, and even accompanied him to buy the weaponry he used to carry out the massacre. She insists, however, that as he left she tried to hold onto his arm so he wouldn't leave. If the FBI believes she was aware of the impending attack, she could be prosecuted.

"Has the shooter’s wife left the state of Florida?" a reporter asked Lynch during her press conference Tuesday."Right now, I don’t know exactly the answer to that," Lynch candidly replied. "I believe she was going to travel but I do not know exactly her location now."

Taking that quote and then extrapolating they don't know where she is is quite disingenuous.. It sounds like a board answer question, "I don't know, but I'll find out s'arnt..." I'm sure they have a pretty good idea.

Currently anyone can have TB's worth of IS killing images, clerics preaching kill Americans, bomb making lessons, etc on their devices yet high school kids exchange naked selfies only to be convicted sex offenders.
This is profound.

Video of a 15 year old girl being raped- illegal.
Video of a 15 year old girl being stoned- OK!

Taking that quote and then extrapolating they don't know where she is is quite disingenuous.. It sounds like a board answer question, "I don't know, but I'll find out s'arnt..." I'm sure they have a pretty good idea.

I wouldn't put too much stock in anything a DOJ rep says about this case.

This is profound.

Video of a 15 year old girl being raped- illegal.
Video of a 15 year old girl being stoned- OK!

Even having that video is illegal. Same with sending or facilitating its transfer.

YouTube is FULL of Islamic killing and hate speech directed at killing Americans. Totally legal.

We just prosecuted the first and second guy for possessing and distributing ISIS material.

One of them walked into the US Consulate with an ISIS t shirt and asked, "this place bomb proof?" Which if it weren't so serious would sound like a bad satire.

Homegrown terror: 'Isis is here'

"Is your head bullet proof? Let's find out."

Back