PAST Prep for Pararescue

standbycontact

Verified Military
Hi SS Community,

I have been invited to assess with an AFR RQS in August.

The assessment consists of what looks to be a mega PAST (1500m swim, 3 mile run, etc.) and an interview with unit leaders. If a candidate excels in the PAST and the unit leaders like him, then they will send that person to the selection course.

This is a little different than people just being sent to selection after submitting a package.

Does anyone have familiarity in this process? Any helpful info is appreciated.

Seems pretty straight forward- crush a physical event, don't be an asshole/idiot.

Overcomplicating matters won't help.

@Etype
Roger that.
If it's really as simple as performing well on the PAST and conducting a good interview, then cool. I just don't want to miss something.

Does anyone know specifically about the interview so I don't look like "an asshole/idiot" because I didn't know about the "whatever"?
Should I prepare any kind of statement or bring anything?
I'm looking for insight from someone who has been in an interview like this before.
Thanks.

@Etype
Roger that.
If it's really as simple as performing well on the PAST and conducting a good interview, then cool. I just don't want to miss something.

Does anyone know specifically about the interview so I don't look like "an asshole/idiot" because I didn't know about the "whatever"?
Should I prepare any kind of statement or bring anything?
I'm looking for insight from someone who has been in an interview like this before.
Thanks.
It's very straight forward. Just like a regular intense interview.
Bring something nice to wear along with all your pt gear so you have something decent to wear assuming you make it to the interview, most didn't in my experience.
Be prepared for interview type questions.
Do you work well in a team?
Describe a time you had trouble working with someone and how you over came.

@AKkeith
Thanks for that feedback, brother! It's reassuring to hear that it's as straight-forward as it sounds.

Current progress:
I'm already passing the PAST and have two months to improve my numbers before the test. I'm taking a mock test every two weeks to see how my progress improves.

Sit-ups and push-ups have been the hardest since Marines don't typically train for that. (ex: crunches instead of sit-ups)
Any pointers on beast-moding those?

My nutritionist has me on a 3,500 calorie plan for training days and 2,700 for off days.

I'm in the gym 5 days a week doing PAST prep workouts (plan purchased from strongswiftdurable.com) and doing yoga and climbing on off days.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?

Last edited:
@AKkeith
Thanks for that feedback, brother! It's reassuring to hear that it's as straight-forward as it sounds.

Current progress:
I'm already passing the PAST and have two months to improve my numbers before the test. I'm taking a mock test every two weeks to see how my progress improves.

Sit-ups and push-ups have been the hardest since Marines don't typically train for that. (ex: crunches instead of sit-ups)
Any pointers on beast-moding those?

My nutritionist has me on a 3,500 calorie plan for training days and 2,700 for off days.

I'm in the gym 5 days a week doing PAST prep workouts (plan purchased from strongswiftdurable.com) and doing yoga and climbing on off days.

Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Where are you interviewing?

And that isn't a "mega PAST" youre taking- it's the current PT test for operators. Do yourself a favor, unless youre dropping a 620 or better, you're going to have a rough go of it.

@amlove21

The mega past comment was kind of a joke since I didn't know what to call the longer one. (Doesn't current active duty entry PAST only have 500m swim and 1.5 mile run?)

Where can I find a scoring sheet/calculator for the PAST that has 1500m and 3 mile? Couldn't find it online.

Last edited:
Here's the chart.

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-20_15-55-22.png
    upload_2017-6-20_15-55-22.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 78
Back