Personal diet question.

Funny you should quote that, I've recently switched to Guinness as a cigar beer - creamy taste pairs well, and the beer itself holds up very well as it reaches room temp.

It's a great drink! My winter go to.

I do like IPAs too, but I hate the way American Brewers have seemingly decided that the reason IPAs are nice is due to the hops, so more hops equal better IPAs.
Wrong!
Taste an English IPA, see what it is meant to taste like. Much milder that a standard American IPA.
That said, I've had many many wonderful American IPAs.
Some of the best beer in the world is brewed here in the USA.

I am exactly like you from your 1st post.I only eat once a day.Happy you have moved forward. Love my water and tea in the am. At this point still love my brewskies-daily. Cant do JD or any hardcore liquer anymore. Problem is Im a vegetarian-not a tree hugging vegan.lol. I cant eat nuts-and PB but eat a ton of beans-eggs and cheese. Sadly my only workouts are yoga . My question-anyone know a good vegetarian diet plan. I also like the comments on beer being a reward. Beer is my reward for just being here to see another day.lol. Good on you Diamondback for having the self discipline to go after your goals. Great advice from so many.

So after talking with my brother and doing a little bit of googlefu, I'm switching beers from Bud Light To Michelob Ultra. I use to drink Michelob Ultra several years ago, but ended up changing to Bud Light, mainly due it being more available and that's what everyone drinks around me.

Well I'm going to try and stick to the 6pk a week (my brother laughed at me), but switch to Michelob Ultra, Calories: 95, Carbs: 2.6 g, ABV: 4.2% per 12oz beer. So you don't loose the alcohol by volume like all the other 'ultra light beers' but you cut back on the calories, and significantly in the carbs.

So after talking with my brother and doing a little bit of googlefu, I'm switching beers from Bud Light To Michelob Ultra. I use to drink Michelob Ultra several years ago, but ended up changing to Bud Light, mainly due it being more available and that's what everyone drinks around me.

Well I'm going to try and stick to the 6pk a week (my brother laughed at me), but switch to Michelob Ultra, Calories: 95, Carbs: 2.6 g, ABV: 4.2% per 12oz beer. So you don't loose the alcohol by volume like all the other 'ultra light beers' but you cut back on the calories, and significantly in the carbs.

At your age you can not drink beer and cut/loose weight. You need to give up beer for the short term at least.

I would be interested it hearing how you did it. 8-)

I just cut back the amount I ate and ate more fish instead of meat. I treat sugar like it is a poison and don't use it. No soda. No fast food. Very little processed food (I occasionally like a bag of potato chips, that's it).
I cook the majority of what I eat, grill/broil most of the meat I eat, not fry. Try to eat as healthy as I can.
Now that all said, I could drop a lot more weight If I cut back the amount of beer I drink for sure, but I dropped 15lbs when I was trying too, without touching my beer intake.

Last edited:
I just cut back the amount I ate and ate more fish instead of meat. I treat sugar like it is a poison and don't use it. No soda. No fast food. Very little processed food (I occasionally like a bag of potato chips, that's it).
I cook the majority of what I eat, grill most of the meat I eat, not fry. Try to eat as healthy as I can.
Now that all said, I could drop a lot more weight If I cut back the amount of beer I drink for sure, but I dropped 15lbs when I was trying too, without touching my beer intake.

Impressive. It does go counter to what @Polar Bear said though. I myself have always thought and was under the belief it could not be done. Many of those P90x style programs also advocate no beer/etc.

8-)

Well to state you "can not" while drinking beer is a bit much, I've already lost 30lbs while continuing to drink beer. I lost 27lbs without diet change, just working out, and an additional 3lbs this last week by changing my diet. Now I took into consideration what many stated here, and I am cutting back my beer to no more than a 6pk a week, I will try this for a few weeks and see what difference it makes. However, if I continue to lose weight at 3lbs a week (which I know I won't, ill have to keep changing shit up), I'll hit my stated goal in 10 weeks.

My reason for not just saying no beer and crushing it, is I'm not looking to a rollercoaster of dieting and weight loss/gains. I'm wanting to find a healthy diet I can maintain life long, that supports my health and wellness, without being the guy who refuses to have a beer with his buddies because of diet, etc.

If I was only trying to drop weight, I'd go straight retard, eat salads and run/swim twice a day for 6-8 weeks, and done. A month after stopping I'll gain it all back, hints the wanting to figure out a life long diet plan...;-)

Impressive. It does go counter to what @Polar Bear said though. I myself have always thought and was under the belief it could not be done. Many of those P90x style programs also advocate no beer/etc.

8-)

Well, you can believe what you want to believe, it is a free country. I just gave you first hand testimony, what you choose to do with that is up to you.

Well, you can believe what you want to believe, it is a free country. I just gave you first hand testimony, what you choose to do with that is up to you.

Which gives me more food for thought. If you can do it (from what I know about you) then that does cause me to think further about the subjects. ;-)8-)

Which gives me more food for thought. If you can do it (from what I know about you) then that does cause me to think further about the subjects. ;-)8-)

Alcohol is converted to sugar in the body IIRC, it's not great for you.
BUT, do you want to live life as a fucking monk? I want to live and enjoy myself before I die. Loosing weight isn't vital to my health, I'm still well within Army regs so I don't need to do anything radical.
You have to work out what you are doing it for, what's your goal? Do you have to loose weight RIGHT FUCKING NOW, or over the next few months?
Adjust your diet/lifestyle according to what you need. No one plan will work for everyone.

Alcohol is converted to sugar in the body IIRC, it's not great for you.
BUT, do you want to live life as a fucking monk? I want to live and enjoy myself before I die. Loosing weight isn't vital to my health, I'm still well within Army regs so I don't need to do anything radical.
You have to work out what you are doing it for, what's your goal? Do you have to loose weight RIGHT FUCKING NOW, or over the next few months?
Adjust your diet/lifestyle according to what you need. No one plan will work for everyone.

Would cutting both alcohol and sugar be the way to go?
No haha.
No I don't. Lean out yeah sure. Beyond that like you I like to drink beer.
I do agree. 8-)

Would cutting both alcohol and sugar be the way to go?

Sure, but again the rest of my last post applies. Do you need to be so radical?
The first thing I tell people is to cut soda and sugar completely from their diet.

Also I've discovered over the years that people eat like the size of the people they are. Fat people eat like fat people etc...
What that means is, I've watched fat people eat and stuff themselves full of food like it was their last meal on earth. Here's a big one, they will stop during a meal to rest and allow their body to digest/adjust for a while in order to stuff more food in. It has me shaking my head.
Don't eat to finish a meal, eat until you feel like "I could stop now and be ok" That is the point where you have had enough, not "I'm feel so full and kinda sick".

Last edited:
Back