Physical Fitness Revamp

Thanks LL and SL for the input I'll work on that in the pool. I might even just go take some swimming lessons so I have an experienced set of eyes on me.

Oh, most DEFINITELY!!!!! LOL - again do some research on finding a coach. Don't waste your time on someone who's only interested in teaching you competitive stuff.

Just like any other sport - you need a coach to teach you the best form to attain better speed and distance. Do some research on the Combat Side Stroke - it's a variation of the traditional side stroke and one I struggle with - I'm too old to learn new tricks I guess. Not that it's harder than the regular side stroke, but retraining muscles is awkward and I hate feeling awkward in the water. Might as well, add the CSS to your bag of tricks as you go.

LL

Wear a uniform, or a drysuit, and have your load bearing gear on less bullets...

Put on your fins, get on your back, drag your ruck and just keep kicking until you pass out... that is a surface swim.

no fins, combat sidestroke, drag your ruck across the current of a swiftly moving river up to about a 1/4 mile... put ruck on, while everything is wet and move out uphill until you get there... that is a river crossing during movement.

This is what I would rather be doing. I do a lot of buddy towing and weighted treading with lifeguarding, does this have any application or do I really need a ruck and stuff?

A ruck is like a sea anchor... it gets wet, heavy and caught by currents/wind/flotsam. Then, after it has absorbed 1/4 of all water in the vicinity, while you are tired, you sling it on your back and start walking, uphill with your arms engaged with a rifle ... where it is once again an anchor, but tied to your person, dragging you back down the hill since it forms its own gravity well and wants you to be at the base, not the crest of said hill... we will talk about going downhill, willingly or unwillingly... later. Does this answer your question?

A ruck is like a sea anchor... it gets wet, heavy and caught by currents/wind/flotsam. Then, after it has absorbed 1/4 of all water in the vicinity, while you are tired, you sling it on your back and start walking, uphill with your arms engaged with a rifle ... where it is once again an anchor, but tied to your person, dragging you back down the hill since it forms its own gravity well and wants you to be at the base, not the crest of said hill... we will talk about going downhill, willingly or unwillingly... later. Does this answer your question?
It also attracts all forms of things that want to keep you from moving forward. Like vines that literally suspend you(180lbs) +your ruck(110lbs)+all your other stuff(40)lbs) in the air while walking.

I need vines too :confused:...As far as what goes in the ruck I'd assume just packing a bunch of my shit in there and throwing it on a Wal-Mart scale will be good enough for my purposes. The question I have is about boots, yes there is a boot thread which I have read through. The thing is the guys replying are already in the military or retired, since I have over a year until I ship should I shell out for military boots, because if that's the case militaryboots.com is already one of my favorites, or will standard hiking boots be fine?

Well train as you fight, I would buy military boots, learn how to properly break them in, then wear them out and get a new pair and break them in as well. Toughening your feet is more important though, I could start a whole thread on that alone. You are going to pay the same for civi boots(nice ones at least) as mil boots so why not get Milspec ones?

Speaking of rucks, I'll preface this by saying *I know nothing about SFAS other than what I saw on a show today*.
There was a show on the Military channel called 2 Weeks in Hell. It's about a portion of SFAS. One of the things I noticed is they had their rucks on anytime they went anywhere. The only time they did not have their rucks on is when they were in their tent...which was not often, not for very long and sleep was not allowed. Also, my idea of what a ruck involves was GROSSLY underestimated. It looked like they could have fit several small children and a compact car in those things.
It's own gravitational pull is a mild understatement...

Well train as you fight, I would buy military boots, learn how to properly break them in, then wear them out and get a new pair and break them in as well. Toughening your feet is more important though, I could start a whole thread on that alone. You are going to pay the same for civi boots(nice ones at least) as mil boots so why not get Milspec ones?

Roger I've got Danner FTX's and a used MOLLE 2 ruck on the wishlist when I get home for the summer I'll pick them up, storage space is limited here.

Speaking of rucks, I'll preface this by saying *I know nothing about SFAS other than what I saw on a show today*.
There was a show on the Military channel called 2 Weeks in Hell. It's about a portion of SFAS. One of the things I noticed is they had their rucks on anytime they went anywhere. The only time they did not have their rucks on is when they were in their tent...which was not often, not for very long and sleep was not allowed. Also, my idea of what a ruck involves was GROSSLY underestimated. It looked like they could have fit several small children and a compact car in those things.
It's own gravitational pull is a mild understatement...

I love that show...:D Didn't you love Team 4 during team week?

I do crossfit 4-5 times a week and I run or try to run, I hate running, 2-3 times a week and I tend to feel feel pretty beat up I was wondering what your take would be on adding in some whey protein for recovery? I read through the PT thread and I saw something about Endurox on pg. 6 the reason I'm asking about whey protein or something similar specifically is because in my experiences with supplements from football whey protein doesn't come with the water weight or peformance reductions like creatine/N.O. products after you stop taking them. I'm 6'1 leveled out to 211lbs. after my weight loss so I don't want to get too muscled up again just looking for more recovery. I'm gonna be one of the bigger guys at RASP regardless but I don't need to be the big meat head that falls out from supplements.

I do crossfit 4-5 times a week and I run or try to run, I hate running, 2-3 times a week and I tend to feel feel pretty beat up I was wondering what your take would be on adding in some whey protein for recovery? I read through the PT thread and I saw something about Endurox on pg. 6 the reason I'm asking about whey protein or something similar specifically is because in my experiences with supplements from football whey protein doesn't come with the water weight or peformance reductions like creatine/N.O. products after you stop taking them. I'm 6'1 leveled out to 211lbs. after my weight loss so I don't want to get too muscled up again just looking for more recovery. I'm gonna be one of the bigger guys at RASP regardless but I don't need to be the big meat head that falls out from supplements.

Find a good fish oil like from the company Stronger, Faster, Healthier for example. The higher the EPA/DHA the better and works great for recovery. I believe they sell an after workout protein as well. Neither of these will make you a "big meat head".

I'd say start focusing on getting your nutrients from your meals. According to the "Supplement Use at XYZ SOF course" sticky, supps are a no go at RASP. So, get all the protein and carbs you need from the food you eat. More carbs before you work out, more protein afterwards. Just MHO. YMMV.

Tropicana- how is your PT coming along?

It has improved leaps and bounds from football shape since I have been doing Crossfit for about a month. I haven't self- adminsitered a PT test in awhile or been administered a PT test yet by my recruiter but I know my body and right now even though I'm in pretty good shape I suck at the specific actions of doing 2 minutes straight push ups and sit ups. In order to fix that I do a push up improvement plan I saw on armyranger.com, here it is, I'm on week 6. For running I follow this running plan, here it is, I'm on week 5. For sit ups I do 50 every night, but I'd like to hear your ideas you can spare, before I go to bed in addition to another 50 push ups to work on muscular endurance. Crossfit 4-5 days a week. I emailed the ROTC department at my school and I'm going to PT with them in the morning when I go back to school 5 days a week and keep doing Crossfit. I'd love any feedback you can spare.

ps. I'm 6'1 211 down from 235.

I'd say start focusing on getting your nutrients from your meals. According to the "Supplement Use at XYZ SOF course" sticky, supps are a no go at RASP. So, get all the protein and carbs you need from the food you eat. More carbs before you work out, more protein afterwards. Just MHO. YMMV.

Thanks for the advice SL and sorry to hear the news keep your head up man.

Find a good fish oil like from the company Stronger, Faster, Healthier for example. The higher the EPA/DHA the better and works great for recovery. I believe they sell an after workout protein as well. Neither of these will make you a "big meat head".

Thanks for the advice man.

Do push-ups while watching tv, do as many as you can during a commercial, then wait a commercial then do as many sit-ups as possible. Your reps will go up.

Put on your fins, get on your back, drag your ruck and just keep kicking until you pass out... that is a surface swim.

I recently did some "tired diver"(buddy towing) for some decent distances at a sea cadets training. I had to deflate the BCD because the 7 mil suits were supposedly more buoyant. BS, I barely stayed above water, and snorkels don't work well when half way out of your mouth. I was also designated rescue swimmer on the ship, which had me doing separate PT.

It's harder than cardio swimming for me, but after 10 days I am definitely a stronger swimmer. Now that I know what it's like and how applicable it is, I'll be doing it more often, thanks.

It also attracts all forms of things that want to keep you from moving forward. Like vines that literally suspend you(180lbs) +your ruck(110lbs)+all your other stuff(40)lbs) in the air while walking.
Your post just reminded me why I will fight a rabid cougar before I will willingly walk through a draw...
SBG sends.

Back